Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines

Barn fresh...

this thread has 30 replies and has been viewed 6687 times

Old 07-21-2009, 01:59:39 PM
Registered

Cool Barn fresh...

Too excited not to share the discovery... I hauled the engine in the attached picture out of the woods this weekend. Found it by following up on a comment by a friend that there was some type of old engine out "there". For anyone who thinks there is nothing left to find, think again.

Greg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lgpicnisteam.jpg
Views:	1233
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	58947  
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2009, 02:03:27 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,986 Times in 524 Posts
Default Re: Barn fresh...

Nice find
CHECK OUT MY ENGINE VIDEOS AT
http://www.youtube.com/user/gasenginetom
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Winland For This Post:
Old 07-21-2009, 02:22:42 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,126 Times in 733 Posts

Nice find is right!

The Judson governor suggests it is from at least the 1880's, as I have an identical governor on my Nichols & Shepard from the same era.

It also has the crosshead pump to supply water to the boiler.

In my opinion, this is a Ford Museum quality engine that old Henry missed.

Congratulations on one heck of a find. I confess I broke the 10th Commandment for a moment or two.

David
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David For This Post:
Old 07-21-2009, 02:37:22 PM
Registered

David,

Thanks for those nice comments. I hear so many "Oh, there's an old engine or something out in the woods near such and such..." stories I sometimes don't check them out. You can imagine how I felt last winter when I first saw this after hacking my way through a quarter mile of undergrowth.

The really remarkable thing is that the engine appears totally complete, unmolested and in remarkably good condition for having been outside for God knows how many years. Nuts came off with little effort. No broken castings that I have been able to find.

I still haven't figured out the arrangement, but it looks like it may be a uniflow engine with a slide valve. There is a steam jacket around the cylinder and it looks like the cylinder exhausts into a large cast iron "box" running the length of the base. The water inlet appears to enter into the "box", probably makes a loop, (I haven't pulled the cover off yet) and then goes into the crosshead pump. In other words, a preheater.

I'll keep you posted if you are interested.

Thanks again,

Greg
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Greg DeKeyzer For This Post:
Old 07-21-2009, 03:07:12 PM
Subscriber

Great find!!!
It would be great if you could re-create the old base when you get it to its new permanant home. The aged brick work makes a beautiful picture. Do you have any idea of its past history?
Keep us updated on your progress please
The Following User Says Thank You to Grape For This Post:
Old 07-21-2009, 03:28:52 PM
Registered

A good friend of mine said essentially the same thing when he first saw the picture. He wanted to pick the whole thing up and put it in his living room.

Sadly a question of letting it remain picturesque and rust into oblivion or pull it out for preservation. If it had been outside my back door on my property it might have just stayed put.

It will ultimately go on a brick foundation, but I will never be able to replicate the setting and the moss...
Old 07-21-2009, 04:02:43 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,410 Times in 1,553 Posts

Did you take the tree with it? Did the owners have NO interest in it? What did it run? Was it still in the original family?
The Following User Says Thank You to HBurk For This Post:
Old 07-21-2009, 04:17:18 PM
Registered

Well even my old stubborn self is ashamed because I am often the first saying there is nothing left original out there like that.

It is too bad that you can't scoop up all of it, and move it to it's new home, tree and all.

Very nice find.
The Following User Says Thank You to Marc P For This Post:
Old 07-21-2009, 04:23:46 PM
Registered

No tree. Rotten. I will plant another right by it when I set it up.

The owner doesn't live in the same town and as it was well back it the woods she may not have known it was there until I brought it up.

History? No, not really. I acquired it through a relative of the owner whom I knew. I am going to try and contact the owner later on to see what I can find out. Hunch right now is that it may have been used to pump water for rice fields. Not much wear on any of the parts and that would seem to fit the rice theory.

Thanks,

Greg
The Following User Says Thank You to Greg DeKeyzer For This Post:
Old 07-21-2009, 04:40:59 PM
Registered

Greg,
Nice find is an understatement. I feel your excitement. When I walk up on something like that I get weak in the knees. That is a really nice find, please feed us more pictures.

I know of the remains of an old crate factory here in Florida. There are three similar engines up on their foundations with trees growing through them. The foundations are about shoulder high. There is a boiler house some distance from the engines. It still has the boilers in place in the brickwork, but all of the building structures are gone. There is also a silo with a dome shaped cieling, all made of brick. The sawdust and chips were blown into it and used to feed the boilers.

Alan
The Following User Says Thank You to Alan Rudd For This Post:
Old 07-21-2009, 06:25:53 PM
Registered

Here are a couple more pix.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NI steam engine #5.jpg
Views:	645
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	58975   Click image for larger version

Name:	NI steam engine #8.jpg
Views:	663
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	58976  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Greg DeKeyzer For This Post:
Old 07-21-2009, 06:43:46 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg DeKeyzer View Post
A good friend of mine said essentially the same thing when he first saw the picture. He wanted to pick the whole thing up and put it in his living room.

Sadly a question of letting it remain picturesque and rust into oblivion or pull it out for preservation. If it had been outside my back door on my property it might have just stayed put.

It will ultimately go on a brick foundation, but I will never be able to replicate the setting and the moss...
Greg,

I think that someone (that is not me) who works w/ historic (brick) buildings preservation/restoration could give you some good advise here. I think that those old bricks should be saved and used if only for a "covering" over the new ultimate concrete/brick foundation that your eventually design/use. Keeping it "together" would be great. I think you will be surprised at how closely you may be able to replicate the setting and the moss etc.
Anyway, my two cents worth and good luck to you and this nice find and thanks for posting the pictures.

Don Siefker
http://www.oldengine.org/members/siefker
The Following User Says Thank You to Don Siefker For This Post:
Old 07-21-2009, 06:59:04 PM
Registered

Thumbs up Re: Barn fresh...

That's a good idea, thanks! If I don't get these I have enough local bricks of the same vintage to do the job, but it would be neat to have the original ones. I'm going to try and get them after my back heals...
Old 07-21-2009, 08:08:03 PM
Registered

It is hard to imagine now, but all of the trees look younger than the engine, so quite possibly it was in the middle of an open field at one time. Thanks for sharing,
Old 07-21-2009, 10:25:24 PM
Registered

Cool Re: Barn fresh...

Good point. I had not thought of that. Thanks!
Old 07-21-2009, 10:53:29 PM
Registered

Thanked 2,471 Times in 547 Posts

It's late in the evening, and I worked 12 hours today, and my brain isn't working well, so forgive my following statement:

It seems like the older metals wear better than the newer stuff. Cast iron, wrought iron, steel......from some time ago seems to stand the elements better than the equivalent material made today....??

Any comments?

Sleepy Mark
Old 07-21-2009, 11:02:59 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 9,440 Times in 2,018 Posts

Mark L. Jordan:

The understanding I have, is that, a lot of the old iron was charcoal refined . . . leaving the iron alkaline. Whereas, the new iron is coke refined . . . leaving the metal acidic.

Gary K
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gary K For This Post:
Old 07-22-2009, 07:14:58 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,074 Times in 493 Posts

I wonder how it might work out to build a wooden base and cover it with a brick face. Then the engine could be moved around more easily and still preserve the look of the brick base. Unless you plan to cement up a real base to place the engine at home and you dont plan to move or show the engine.

I saved a pic of this for reference. I have seen quite a few older and comparable age engines at the steam shows, But; seldom do they look like this. The difference is that hard to define look and detail of an origional engine. Even one that has always been indoors has that 'look'. The nuts, the oilers the old darken finish. I feel the same way about traction engines and portables, within reasonable safety limits. there is nothing quite like the look of an unmolested engine. I thoroughly enjoyed the photos and discussion.

There are a lot of protective liquids that can be applied to the iron. I like LPS3 rust inhibitor. others have good results with Tranny fluid. I would avoid linseed oil or any of the chemical darkening rust treatments.

Edit: I think we could start an OT thread. Why is the older stuff often so much better. Old paper, old books, old photos, old iron - on and on. And does anybody care?

Last edited by Peter; 07-22-2009 at 07:21:37 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter For This Post:
Old 07-22-2009, 08:19:25 AM
Registered

I have a dumb question. Why not restore it and give 'er steam? I know that most people don't have little boilers laying around, but I'd hate to use it as a yard ordinate myself.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pvtschultz For This Post:
Old 07-22-2009, 11:44:51 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,074 Times in 493 Posts

I assumed this was a restoration? Have not heard any comments that would preclude steam or air operation. My idea with the wood base and brick face would allow takin her out and using a club boiler during a show. And let people see an engine in its working clothes. Either way, I think this one has been saved. The question, I would have is rhodent nesting & damage in the cylinders.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Peter For This Post: