Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

Christmas came early!!! Now the random questions!

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 1318 times

Old 12-23-2009, 01:21:27 PM
Registered

Default Christmas came early!!! Now the random questions!

Yesterday we received the parts we ordered for our Restoration process of our John Deere Engines. We can’t wait to get started.

I wanted to get some advice from some of you that have been there done that with this type of thing.

1)What is the best way to remove old paint from the engines? Is it best to do it piece by piece or can we do it while the engine is assembled?

2)Can you burn ethanol blend gasoline in them, or unleaded for that matter, should additives need to be added to the fuel?

Thanks for your help and advise. I will take pictures and share during the process.

Merry Christmas Everyone!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2009, 01:41:42 PM
Registered

Thanked 2,156 Times in 428 Posts
Default Re: Christmas came early!!! Now the random questions!

For removing paint, you could use Oven cleaner, spray it on, let it sit, rinse it off, and repeat until you see bare cast iron. Also you could get the entire engine sodablasted to remove the paint, soda blasting is easy on parts, wont hurt brass, it wont even hurt plastic they say.

As for gas, we just run normal regular gas from the gas station, I know several people that run aviation fuel because it can store for such a long time, basically never goes bad.

Good Luck on your engines!
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris J For This Post:
Old 12-23-2009, 02:00:39 PM
Registered

I run reg. pump gas in my jd's. The icecream man at the Irwin Iowa show was running his 1 1/2hp jd on E-85 (85% ethonol& 15% gas)
The Following User Says Thank You to 6hpMarty For This Post:
Old 12-23-2009, 04:19:41 PM
lowboy

running e 85 do you have to enlarge the carb ports? Doesn't alcohol need more fuel than gas ? what is the benefit of running e 85?
Old 12-23-2009, 04:48:33 PM
Registered

When I run my engines while working on them I use fresh pump gas. When I run them to show them I run Coleman fuel, it smells better and seems to run a bit cooler and the engines seem to like it better. If it was not so expensive I would run it exclusively but it is between $8 and $12 a gallon depending on the store.
When I convert drag bikes to run on methanol I have to increase the jet size and narrow the needle taper to allow for more fuel. I also have to use a different oil to prevent separation.
I have been told a little Marvel Mystery Oil in the tank will do wonders for blended fuel and old engines.
I have not tried converting an older engine to run on methanol but it is an interesting thought.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:55:04 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,014 Times in 1,171 Posts

That's an intersting thought. We've raced Go Karts and open wheel modifies on methanol for years, but I've never thought of trying it in one of my engines, although it shouldn't be a problem. It takes 3 times the methanol as it does gas. These old engines have adjustable needles for the ammount of fuel intaking so, I would think it would run, with some adjustments. The down side of methanol is it attracts moisture. Water will mix with it. Leaving it in a tank could cause rust problems. The last time I priced methanol at the track it was $4.00+ a gallon. The up side of methanol is it runs cooler, due to the larger amount needed for running.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:10:59 PM
Registered

Very true, but since it takes 3 times the amount of fuel you would have to increase the piston oiler rate to prevent cylinder wash. Either that or add some oil to the methanol.
Interesting indeed!