Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Heavy Industrial Equipment > Vintage Construction Equipment > Lifting and Loading
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Lifting and Loading Pay loaders, Fork lifts, tow motors, jacks and hoists.

Lifting and Loading

Prime Mover L-812 forklift - looking for information

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 7574 times

Old 09-06-2010, 09:02:50 AM
Registered

Default Prime Mover L-812 forklift - looking for information

I have been working on an old Prime Mover L-812 forklift for the past few years. When I purchased it on Ebay it had 4 dry rotted tires and blown engine. The owner loaded it on my trailer with a backhoe and a chain in a less than dignified manner.

It runs and operates today. It will actually lift more than the counterweight will balance. I have made some changes to suit my environment. The Ag tires are my addition. This probably was designed for use on concrete but I have none in sight. Works well on hard surfaces, it is a bear in the mud, and it sits and digs like a rototiller in sand or stone.

It is the same basic model as the Prime Mover concrete buggy I ran back in the late 70's. Unfortunately I have had no luck finding any information, manuals, sources of parts for this machine anywhere on the internet. Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2010, 09:22:28 AM
Registered

Default Re: Prime Mover L-812 forklift - looking for information

I haven't seen one of those in quite a few years. It was built as you say on the concrete buggy (Power Buggy) chassis. They were never very popular because of the capacity and load center (12") and the typical load center of most pallets of the day were 24". Other manufacturers had machines with much greater capacity and a smaller footprint so they were more maneuverable on jobs.Unfortunately Prime Mover as a brand no longer exists as BT pretty much dropped support for anything PM after 2006. What parts do you need?
Old 09-06-2010, 10:08:20 AM
Registered

Thanks for your response BGunn.

This is a unique machine. It is not something I use every day, but it is a real back saver. I don't have a dock and I hate ramps. I use it to move generators, table saws, engines, and it even sees action loading big logs into the splitter.

Ideally, I would like to convert this to the dual front wheel configuration I have seen on some of the concrete buggies and forklifts. I think it would be more stable in my environment. Also, as this is direct drive to the hydraulic pump and transmission/transaxle it is very difficult to start when cold. Ideally, I would to some kind of clutch or quick disconnect between the engine and the shaft.

I don't "need" anything at the moment. I just had a hydraulic hose made for it. An operators or service manual with fluid specs and/or parts list would be handy. I have flushed a ton of sludge out of the transmission/transaxle. Right now I have 30 weight engine oil in it and that is do to be dumped again soon.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:23:54 AM
Registered

The problem with this type forklift, (counterbalanced end control) or any with the counter weight on one end and the drive on the opposite end, is that traction is very poor until the mast is loaded with weight and the center of gravity is transferred forward. At this point there will be much more weight on the drive axle giving you better traction. Depending on your conditions and usage (capacity needed) you may be able to remove the cheek weights and place some weight just behind and above the drive axle. This would require some experimentation and trial and error for balance.