Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shows, Swaps, Announcements > Shows and Swap Meets
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Shows and Swap Meets Announcements, reviews, photos, movies and discussion about antique engine and tractor shows and swaps.

Shows and Swap Meets

2011 Le Sueur Minnesota Swap Meet

this thread has 86 replies and has been viewed 20897 times

Old 04-28-2011, 12:29:46 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: 2011 Le Sueur Swap Meet

We are an hour and a half a way, are there any updates on how the grounds look? How many rows are there?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2011, 06:57:44 PM
Registered

Thanked 2,368 Times in 353 Posts

Have been at the showgrounds the last 3 days with the orange tractor helping out with pulling, spreading gravel, etc.

From what I can tell the price of fuel and the weather forecasts haven't held anybody back. The "staging" parking lot got filled to overflow by noon today and a decision was made to open the gates and let the vendors in. There are as many vendors as other years, from Washington to New York, plus Canada. The grounds are a bit soft but to our surprise not many "pulls" at all, just a few special "DNA's" people that don't understand black gumbo soil here in southern Mn. The forecast doesn't sound to good for Sat. but we will work through it as we always do.

Come and have a good time at the swap meet, meeting old friends and making new ones!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave Preuhs For This Post:
Old 04-29-2011, 04:54:26 PM
Registered

Just got back from Lesueur. Nice day with dry weather although a little breezy. A LOT of "stuff" there as usual. Seems like there is something for everyone there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dempster Finder For This Post:
Old 04-30-2011, 09:37:24 AM
Registered

I went yesterday and had a good time. I was completely overwhelmed by the volume of stuff. Made it through about half of the stuff before I wore myself out. Being new to engines and not knowing value, it was a challenge. I found 1 thing that I would have loved to have but it was to much for me. It was a little Hew Holland grinder. Really cool. Lot of thing had me scratching my head because I had no idea what it was.

The number of people was crazy. I learned an important lesson about when to get there. Arriving at 10 is a bad idea unless you like to walk a half mile or more.

I saw more 1.5 hp John Deere Es than I could shake a stick at. I think I counted 15 or more. Most common engine there seemed like. Second most common engine would be the IHC LA\LBs I think. Then came the Fairbanks Morse ZDs.

I need pay better attention next time I go. Kept stepping infront of people in golf carts and almost getting run over.
The Following User Says Thank You to BigGoomba For This Post:
Old 04-30-2011, 01:27:40 PM
Subscriber

It's been AT LEAST 5 years or more since I've been to LeSuer & each year I keep saying I am going NEXT YEAR. Oh Well, I think I will go .......NEXT YEAR.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:17:22 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,419 Times in 847 Posts

Well, I left about 9:00 Sat morning as it was starting to get Sloppy on the roads. The roads firmed up pretty good for Friday with a just a few puddles. Some of the popular areas did have a Lot of traffic and you couldn't get anywhere real fast

I picked a couple magneto's and a new set of rear tractor tires but most of all just looked and visited with people I hadn't seen all winter.

I think Dave should have printed up a few buttons that said "I survived the Lesueur Swap Meet" with the Weather Challenges and all I would have bought one...

I know Dave and the Guys are going to be Busy Cleaning up the Mess but after what it was a few years ago I think they will do a Fine Job. Thanks for a Good Time.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:50:31 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,551 Times in 304 Posts

Ken put it quite well. After arriving Thursday afternoon to get a place to sell. We were amazed at how good the grounds were for seeing a couple of weeks of continuous rain. There were a few spot of slick slurry but for the most part the ground was pretty firm. However this morning with the rain over the night and though the morning the ground was getting greasy. There were going to be some pulling going on to get some people out.

Over all the crowd was fantastic on Friday. The hearty crowd was there on Friday plodding through the slurry. We left at 11 am and drove through rain till the Iowa border. Maybe Mother nature will be more forgiving next year.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kelly Barnett For This Post:
Old 04-30-2011, 09:47:43 PM
Registered

The good news is that the rain stopped in Minnesota in the afternoon and it got sunny and windy. All that wind might help things dry up faster! Tomorrow's forcast is partly sunny with no rain listed!
Old 05-01-2011, 09:10:21 AM
Registered

Default Re: 2011 Le Sueur Minnesota Swap Meet

The 2011 was a bit challenging this year with all the rain before and during the swap meet, but it turned out OK. Lots of vendors and spectators, especially on Fri., Saturday turned nice after the rain of Fri. night. Sunday was dry but cloudy and windy and the going home day. The grounds are not pretty but will get them back into shape for the show in August. This time of year you can expect most anything, from sunburning 80 degree weather to 28 degrees and snow. We can only hope for better next year, where we can meet our old friends again.

Ken, I think the '07 swap meet was far worse than any other swap meet we had, that was the year we should've had the buttons!

2003 swap meet

2007 swap meet

---------- Post added at 08:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGoomba View Post
I went yesterday and had a good time. I was completely overwhelmed by the volume of stuff. Made it through about half of the stuff before I wore myself out. Being new to engines and not knowing value, it was a challenge. I found 1 thing that I would have loved to have but it was to much for me. It was a little Hew Holland grinder. Really cool. Lot of thing had me scratching my head because I had no idea what it was.

The number of people was crazy. I learned an important lesson about when to get there. Arriving at 10 is a bad idea unless you like to walk a half mile or more.

I saw more 1.5 hp John Deere Es than I could shake a stick at. I think I counted 15 or more. Most common engine there seemed like. Second most common engine would be the IHC LA\LBs I think. Then came the Fairbanks Morse ZDs.

I need pay better attention next time I go. Kept stepping infront of people in golf carts and almost getting run over.
I saw the NH mill also and thought too that it is a very nice item, but didn't have the guts to ask how much it was.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave Preuhs For This Post:
Old 05-01-2011, 09:20:04 AM
Registered

Here'a glimse of Friday just before I left.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Le Sueur swap.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	105710  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to S.Simons For This Post:
Old 05-01-2011, 09:30:12 AM
Subscriber

I bought a #6 New Holland mill on thursday in the parking lot but it was not that one. It is the earlier wood legged one. What was he asking for that one? Also bought a bunch of other goodies. (Will post some pics later) It was a great time but I chickened out on friday night we headed home. I didn't want to brave the wind in the tent....
The Following User Says Thank You to oldironlindy For This Post:
Old 05-01-2011, 09:51:24 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,419 Times in 847 Posts

I believe 07 was the year I didn't bring the camper. The Belly on my Ford Ranger was dragging in the drifts on Co 11 on the way down

This year the Guy on the road said I was going to get stuck so I parked on top of the hill and walked down and surveyed the area we usually park and all seemed firm so drove down and never even made a track.

It was Fun seeing the Dingbats that just Blindly charged off the road into a sea of Mud and there they Sat...
Old 05-01-2011, 10:08:52 AM
Subscriber

Almost heaven Minnesota, LeSueur swap meet, rain a coming, sun might shine
oh no is that snow Well you get the idea, maybe you can add a verse!
The Following User Says Thank You to T Hickok MN For This Post:
Old 05-01-2011, 12:23:29 PM
Registered

How much Swap meet is there on the last day on Sunday?
I remember in the beginning when it was in LeCenter in the 1970's Sunday was the ONLY day!
Old 05-01-2011, 05:24:03 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempster Finder View Post
How much Swap meet is there on the last day on Sunday?
I remember in the beginning when it was in LeCenter in the 1970's Sunday was the ONLY day!
By noon it is pretty much over. Just like the tractor and engine shows, years ago Sunday was the big day, now it is loading up and going home day.

Those were the days of a one day only swap meet, not many vendors or spectators, but the ones that were there were serious buyers and sellers.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Preuhs For This Post:
Old 05-01-2011, 08:59:30 PM
Subscriber

Here are some of my purchases from the swap this year. I was on a 6" feed mill kick for some reason this year. I got a
6" letz, a 6" IH, A 6" new Holland, a 6" challange and a little hand crank unit. Also bought a IH LB with a oil bath air filter, Standard separator engine, a Carter seed sorter, a Rooster wind mill weight, and some misc small pieces. Some will stay in the collection and some will be sold to support my habit.... My name is Matt and I am an oldironaholic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grinders from lesueur.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	105881   Click image for larger version

Name:	Standard engine.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	105882  
The Following User Says Thank You to oldironlindy For This Post:
Old 05-01-2011, 10:38:19 PM
Subscriber

Post Re: 2011 Le Sueur Minnesota Swap Meet

I would have to say this is one of the best Swap Meet that I have been to in year....many moons ago we used to go to the one in Iowa...but I hear that one has gone down hill....as a Le Sueur virgin...I will say I will be back year after year, god willing...I did bring home a few things....and I pick up and Edwards in two weeks...now I have a few projects to get too after this good weekend...I made some good friends and seen others...and to think I only went to find a Stover Duro Flywheel...and came how with a truckload of iron...but i did find a nice gentalman that says he has what i am looking for...so plan to call him in a few days...the deals keep going on....hope to see you all in Baraboo next weekend....

To the staff at the Meet I have to say you all did a fine job...very nice when i had questions....thanks for a great time...just wish the weather would have held off for Sat....

David
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MaytagRepairMan For This Post:
Old 05-01-2011, 11:05:18 PM
Registered

Lindy, are you gonna re-sell that 6" IH mill that you acquired at LeSuer? I saw your booth down their, but you were too busy to stop and talk to... Thanks Mike
Old 05-02-2011, 06:44:39 AM
Subscriber

No that will be a keeper.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:22:03 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 8,201 Times in 1,344 Posts

Good swap, good time, lots of good junk.
My 21st year. I sold real well, bought some and had a great time visiting with all the iron hounds
This swap grew from a little one day tail gate party until another day was added to accomodate the growth.
Continued growth demanded more space and a third day.
All of this added up to one of the biggest and best events in the US with quality club members that do a great job! A big thanks to Pioneer Power for that!
In recent history the gates have been open early on thursday evening from 5:30 - 8:30 to remedy congestion and aid with vendor set-up. This was another improvement, but we are still trying to get set up when darkness falls.
The decision to open the gates even earlier this year was really nice
Seems like AM or noon opener every year would be yet another welcome improvement.
Smaller crowd rushing into the grounds,
More set-up time for vendors,
Less trucks & trailers stuck in the lower parking lot,
In case anyone has not noticed, this is a four day event now,
we are there all day Thursday, why not be in the grounds all day instead of the parking lot
Tony
The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Thompson For This Post: