Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines

Great Lakes steamer "E M FORD" to be SCRAPPED

this thread has 95 replies and has been viewed 22157 times

Old 11-06-2008, 12:13:24 AM
Subscriber

Exclamation Great Lakes steamer "E M FORD" to be SCRAPPED

The steamer EM Ford is being towed to Sioux St.Marie to be scrapped. It has been on the Lakes for over 100 years. The sad thing about it,is that it has a quadrouple Expansion steam engine in the ship. Triple expansion steam engines were common in early ships. And one of the triple expansion steam engines is on display at the Marine Museum in Manitowac Wis. But Quadrouple expansion engines are not heard of much.Im posting this In hopes that some museum or Steam show would come forward and find a home for The engine. I have pictures of a triple Expansion Engine on my web page to give you a idea of what they are. Purvise Marine which is going to scrap the ship Has a history of being susceptable to that sort of thing. They have done that on the scrapping other ships. So I hope this message gets around and a effort to save the engine like they are doing to save the Delta Queen.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2008, 02:15:09 AM
Registered

Default Re: Steamer EM Ford Cement carrier on the Great Lakes

Hi all,

Here is a bit more information on the E. M. Ford:

http://www.boatnerd.com/pictures/fleet/emford.htm

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...55064477rVwnwT

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...55064477SbUOOH

This is a truly beautiful engine. I hope that it is preserved.

Best regards,

Colt
Old 11-06-2008, 02:49:36 AM

Thanked 20,659 Times in 5,981 Posts
Default Re: Great Lakes steamer "E M FORD" to be SCRAPPED

Here we go again.......
I'm gonna stick this thread for a while so it gets maximum coverage.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craig A For This Post:
Old 11-06-2008, 07:07:07 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,829 Times in 642 Posts

I have talked with the person in charge of the vessel from LaFarge. They have sent letters to numerous citys around Michigan looking for a home for the EM. None were replied to. One of the criteria of transferring ownership is the proper disposal of all the asbestos on the boat. It is a costly venture for any new museum. Even the scrapper has to totally document the asbestos removal process so no one can come forth later on to claim an asbestos injury. The engine was also offered. It'll cost the new owner $100,000 to acquire it. Cost of the iron, and efforts to remove it, and the hopes for a little more profit than cutting it up are apparent. The scrapper also heavily photo-documented the boat so that key valuable items wouldn't disappear between the last time he saw it and took ownership of it. There was interest from NOA, but that interest has diminished.

I too have been on the old girl and would love to see the engine preserved someplace. I have front & side elevation drawings of it. It measures 21' long and 22' high. Transporting would definitely require it to be dismantled.

Grand old lady. Pass the word around to steam organizations to see if interest can be sparked. It's still not too late !

Pete
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Pete LaBelle For This Post:
Old 11-06-2008, 07:23:39 PM
Registered

$100,000 for the engine? That takes out most of the steam shows right there with the possible exception of Rollag.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:43:37 PM
Registered

That's too bad to see it be scrapped.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:57:30 PM
Subscriber

Thanks Craig for getting this message out. I have a video that was made years ago about the EM Ford.Alot of engine room film and pilot house activity. When the ship was underway. In the case of the engine that is at the Manitowac Museum. The museum required it at Sturgenbay and barged it to Manitowac where it was loaded on a semi and taken to a warehouse to get clean and painted. It was then hauled on the semi back to the museum and a addition to the museum was built around the engine after it was permanently placed. I can understand that the $100,000 cost of the engine and then the cost of a crane and trucking puts it out of getting a steam show to acquire it. WE can only hope that somehow someone can preserve a part of history this ship had. A friend of mine years ago told me he was oiler on the Presque Iles when it came out. And he told me many stories about the ship.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ted Knack For This Post:
Old 11-07-2008, 10:14:58 PM
Registered

I hope it gets saved. Most these steam shows need to look at Rollag and a couple of the other shows that have endowments set up to purchase something like this if it comes up. This is something clubs should look into.
Old 11-08-2008, 11:11:41 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,277 Times in 169 Posts

One of my dreams for ISSES is to have the capability to assist with preservation efforts such as the ones that present themselves occasionally here. Perhaps a preservation revolving fund that could help cash strapped organizations pay the upfront costs of acquiring and moving engines, or perhaps by having the equipment and tools available to physically help in removal and transportation of stationary steam engines.

Such a program would require the participation of the vast majority of stationary steam enthusiasts to be successful, so that the cost can be spread out. As our new leader says, its "time to spread the wealth!", and better to spread it on our hobby then send it to DC!
http://www.todengine.org
The Following User Says Thank You to todengine For This Post:
Old 11-08-2008, 11:36:02 AM
Subscriber

I live up here in MI and spend a lot of time on the lakes fishing/ boating etc... I always admired the classic looks of the old style great lakes freighters. It will be a real loss to see another go.
Attached are pics of the engine in Manitawoc ... tripple expansion engine from the old makinaw straights car ferry Chief Wawatam. The museum did a wonderful job of displaying this engine... you can hit a button and a concealed motor rolls it over. The steam chest is open to view the valve action.
Joe B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00083.jpg
Views:	600
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	42924   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00086.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	42925  
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeCB For This Post:
Old 11-09-2008, 07:49:15 PM
Registered

Thanked 6,609 Times in 2,428 Posts

So, I take it the scrapper wouldn't be interested in some kind of tax write off for the engine? Darn shame, as that's probably the only way it could be saved. I know first hand how much a low-dollar, largeish stationary engine can cost by the time it winds up at home....not near nothing like the size of the marine engine in question here.....but sizable enough for me as a 27 yr old engine trying to preserve a Corliss engine.

Mike
Old 11-12-2008, 11:45:55 PM
Subscriber

Today the Steamer EM Ford has started to be towed to Soiux St. Marie.What will happen right away I havent heard.I would hope that Craig would leave the posts on a litte longer may be I will hear of good news and pass it on.I did get some emails about the ship.Thanks to the fellows who posted for this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ted Knack For This Post:
Old 11-13-2008, 10:40:30 AM
Registered

The EM has been sold to Purvis Marine in Sault (not spelled Souix, but pronounced "Soo") Ste. Marie, Ontario for scrapping. Do a web search for Purvis Marine and you'll find their web site.

Pete
Old 11-13-2008, 05:42:06 PM
Registered

As of 3pm today (Nov 13, 2008), the EM has reached the dock of the scrappers in Sault Ste Marie, Ontario. Have sent an e-mail to Purvis Marine with several questions. We'll see what comes of it.

Stay tuned.......
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pete LaBelle For This Post:
Old 11-13-2008, 05:47:58 PM
Registered

Here's a photo from yesterday (Nov 10) on her last day in Saginaw. The tug to tow her to the scrapper is perched at her stern. Photo borrowed from the BOATNERD site.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	EM Ford - - last day.jpg
Views:	663
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	43268  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pete LaBelle For This Post:
Old 11-13-2008, 10:21:26 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,083 Times in 474 Posts

If the engine cannot be saved (and it doesn't look good at this point) would someone be able to work out a deal with the scrappers to get all the little bits and pieces that CAN be saved? I.E. steam valves, drain cocks, surplus pieces, tools, oil cans, lubricators, grease cups, steam gauges, revolution counter, ETC.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:49:22 PM
Registered

Thanked 6,609 Times in 2,428 Posts

Didn't boats usually have some smaller auxillary engines used for this-n-that? Would be nice to get some of them, at least.
Mike
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike McKnight For This Post:
Old 11-14-2008, 11:48:41 PM

Thanked 4,294,967,124 Times in 3,929 Posts

Good point Mike. You'd think with the massive drop in scrap prices and the contacts that must be happening....that they'd sell off those items at a premium?? Do I hear E-bay calling??

Beth
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beth V For This Post:
Old 11-15-2008, 09:43:46 PM
Registered

Photo Re: Great Lakes steamer "E M FORD" to be SCRAPPED

Attached two pictures of the EM Ford tied up in Soo, Ontario. Yes Sault is the proper spelling but use Soo and mail will get there. These four pictures are on

https://webcam.crrel.usace.army.mil/soo/

US Army Corp of Engineers use four webcams to keep track of ships.

The top two pictures were obtained at 8:42 AM California time today, November 15. The two at the bottom were the same time last Monday the 10th. Friday 7th, Saturday the 8th and Sunday the 9th every time I looked it was temperature in the 20's and snowing. But by Wednesday the 12th with daytime temps in the 60's the snow was gone.

Pretty much every morning I check out the weather at the Soo.

I also look at my Home Town:

http://www.duluthshippingnews.com/index.html

Which currently has a November 4 picture of the Edward L Ryerson arriving for winter layup. 2007 shipping season MOST upper lakes ships ran until the Soo closed January 15th, 2008.

WDIO TV in Duluth has two Duluth Harbor Cams:

http://www.wdio.com/article/stories/...html?cat=10362

Is the Harbor Cam showing the Aerial Bridge

Click on Tower Cam for an expansive view of the harbor. There also are two Iron Range Cams that seem to be more reliable than the Duluth cams which often are off line for extended periods.

The Lake Superior Marine Museum Association at Duluth Entry have:

http://www.lsmma.com/webcam.htm

It is possible to watch ships come in on the Entry Cam then switch over to the Harbor Cam and see the ship on the other side of the bridge then switch to the Tower Cam and watch the ship maneuver through the harbor to a dock.

Greg Hayden
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	EMFord.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	43381  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to agsem For This Post:
Old 11-17-2008, 01:41:27 PM
Registered

Mike -

Although it is an old boat, and the original main reciprocating engine is still on board, most of the little auxilliaries were replaced with electric over the years. Other than some simplex & duplex pumps of various sizes, I don't recall any small reciprocating engines. The draft induction engine may be the only thing there worth looking into, but I recall that even being a more contemporary engine. Although.....a steam engine is a steam engine......right ?

Pete
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pete LaBelle For This Post: