Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines

Advance straw burner: MISSING ENGINE!

this thread has 36 replies and has been viewed 9768 times

Old 11-22-2011, 03:58:54 PM
Email NOT Working

Default Advance straw burner: MISSING ENGINE!

I am hoping that someone on this site can help me locate an engine that I purchased in January of this year (2011). It's a 16 horse Advance, straight cleat, straw burner. I purchased it from Barry Ballenger, Kalispell, MT. I have the Bill of Sale to verify ownership. With the kind help of some folks in Kalispell, I have been attempting to gain possession of the engine since March of this year. Despite the efforts of these folks and the local sheriff's dept, I have not yet been successful.

Unfortunately, Mr. Ballenger will not release the engine to me and I have recently learned from the Flathead County Sheriff's office that he has moved the engine. I was forced to file suit to secure possession and now have a court order to exercise this right. Now what I need to do is locate the engine. It has been a long and drawn out process. The wheels of justice grind slowly. Our judicial system doesn't always seem to be working on behalf of the honest man but I'm hoping that with some assistance from folks in the hobby, I will finally be able to gain possession of what is lawfully mine.

Any assistance that can be offered is greatly appreciated.

I am attaching a few pictures of the engine to assist with identification.

Thanks very much. Philip Zuver, Bryan, Ohio.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16 Advance straw burner.jpg
Views:	634
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	121464   Click image for larger version

Name:	16 Advance straw burner 3.jpg
Views:	559
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	121465   Click image for larger version

Name:	16 Advance straw burner 2.jpg
Views:	553
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	121466  
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Ask The User For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2011, 08:20:59 PM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,961 Times in 1,199 Posts
Default Re: Advance straw burner: MISSING ENGINE!

I appreciate you putting your name on this. No credibility without it.
Do you care to elaborate on what went down to sour the deal?
I hope justice is quickly served. As you said, the wheels of justice grind slowly, and unfortunately they seem to grind fairly coarse as well!
Kevin
The Following User Says Thank You to Kevin O. Pulver For This Post:
Old 11-22-2011, 10:46:00 PM
Email NOT Working

The situation turned negative after I was contacted by a fellow collector in Michigan. He was contacted regarding an Advance engine that was located in Montana and possibly for sale. The Michigan collector happened to contact the same hauler that I had arranged to use to haul my engine. The hauler thought the details of the engines sounded too similar to be coincidental and mentioned to the Michigan collector that it may be the same engine I had already purchased.

After speaking to the collector in Michigan, it was confirmed that the engine he was looking at was the engine I had already purchased. I attempted to contact the individual from which I purchased the engine. After leaving several messages over a period of roughly a week, I began to question his intentions. At this time, I contacted the Flathead County Sheriff's Dept. A deputy was able to make face to face contact with the individual, who confirmed that he had sold the engine to me and I had paid him for it. The deputy suggested to the individual that he would have me use a local hauler to move the engine to a local yard for safe keeping until my hauler was in the area to pick it up. The seller agreed to this arrangement and requested the that the deputy communicate this to me. I contacted a local collector in Kalispell and ask if he would assist me in this task. He agreed and contacted the seller. The seller told him he would not allow him to pick up the engine. The situation has not improved since that time. The deputy that facilitated the arrangement is just as bewildered as I. The seller admitted to him that the engine was bought and paid for, he agreed to the deputies recommendation that I have a local individual move the engine and yet he would not honor the agreement. Consequently, I was forced to hire an attorney to pursue a court ordered resolution to the situation. It's hard to know what anyone is thinking but it appears that greed is playing a major role in this situation.

Again, I appreciate any assistance that anyone is able to offer. Thanks very much. Philip Zuver, Bryan, Ohio
Old 11-22-2011, 11:23:20 PM

Thanked 4,294,967,124 Times in 3,929 Posts

Philip,

Once you locate the engine, I assume you have a hauler ready to secure it?

Would this be considered grand theft?

Given Stak's wide readership and lurkers, hopefully someone can PM you with valid options.

Best of Luck
Beth
Old 11-23-2011, 02:54:45 AM
Registered

Phil, sorry to hear this is happening to you. My guess is he got offered more money and now thinks that he can frustrate you so you just tell him to stick it. Sounds like you do need some help, other than offering a used baseball bat, I am afraid I have no other contacts. Have you tried hitting up any of the NTA guys? There is a lot of people that know people. I hope it all works out soon for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to 20minnie For This Post:
Old 11-23-2011, 06:31:11 AM
Subscriber

Not sympathizing with the seller, but it sounds like he has gotten way over his head in debt and has become desperate. He's cashed your check, he's probably cashed the other collector's check and the people he owes probably want more. At this point I would only work through the sheriff to resolve this.
The Following User Says Thank You to K.O'Connell For This Post:
Old 11-23-2011, 12:07:44 PM
Email NOT Working

Thanks to all who have commented and contacted me. I am continuing to work with the Flathead County Sheriff's office as well as, the Flathead County Prosecutor. Criminal charges are being investigated. The Sheriff's office is interested in any information that can be provided concerning the location of the engine. Hopefully, putting the word out on here has expanded the network enough that the matter will be resolved quickly.

Thanks again.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ask The User For This Post:
Old 11-23-2011, 02:21:37 PM
Registered

I wish you all the luck in the world in putting a end to this mess, hopefully in your favor. I caught wind of this mess earlier this year. Sounds like the guy who "sold" it to you is a real nut.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Larry Mix For This Post:
Old 11-23-2011, 02:57:34 PM
Registered

Thanked 8,242 Times in 2,121 Posts

While knowing everyone Philip spoke of personally, right down to the sheriff's deputy, I've been in contact with Philip over the past several months, regarding this issue. I wish I could magically tell him where it is. I can't answer the reason the seller chose to react in this manner, but I wish Philip quick resolution to this situation. Hang in there buddy!
Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ballinger Advance side view flywheel[1].jpg
Views:	426
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	121552  
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to 20 Reeves Highwheeler For This Post:
Old 11-24-2011, 12:36:52 PM
Subscriber

Sounds like a real big mess. Hope it can be resolved soon for both parties.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:58:12 PM
Registered

Thanked 2,682 Times in 877 Posts

Looks like a good engine...its a shame that the buyer is not a man of his word at all...in the steam hobby this is very rare which is a good thing - but it makes us as a group be too trusting. I hope you get your engine Phil and get this mess behind you. I hope you dont lose too much sleep over this mess and dont let it get you down - remember good honest people are behind you in this mess.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Casemaker For This Post:
Old 11-24-2011, 02:38:24 PM
Registered

Good things come to those who wait. Patience is the key, but hard to see at times. Good luck and "Hang in There"
The Following User Says Thank You to Robert M For This Post:
Old 11-25-2011, 07:33:54 PM
Email NOT Working

Thanks again to all who have replied. I would be very pleased to have a quick resolution. Unfortunately, after eight months of lawyers and court appearances, it doesn't appear that quick and easy is in the cards. I, like a lot of us in this hobby are under the assumption that everyone we deal with is honest. Unfortunately, that isn't the case. After striking the deal with the individual, I promptly sent payment the same day, we spoke on the telephone several times and I even encouraged him to visit my home to run the engine when it was finished. I had no indication that he intended not to honor our agreement. A shocking turn of events, to say the least. What is more disheartening is the possibility that another member of the hobby may be an active participant in the deception, with the full knowledge that the engine legally belongs to me. I guess I'm old fashioned in my belief that a man is only as good as his word and deal is a deal. Again, thanks to everyone for putting the word out and helping me try to locate the 16 and bring her home. Philip Zuver, Bryan, Ohio.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ask The User For This Post:
Old 11-25-2011, 08:33:55 PM
Coal Dust

how about the state atorney general?
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Post:
Old 11-25-2011, 11:39:26 PM
Registered

Thanked 6,609 Times in 2,428 Posts
Angry Re: Advance straw burner: MISSING ENGINE!

I'm real sorry to hear of the problems you've had with your engine and the seller. As others have said, most folks in the hobby are pretty darn honest, but there's a few bad eggs out there. I once thought I had a deal made on an engine, then the seller tried to sell it to not one but two other people! I hadn't changed money yet though.....and DIDN'T, even though I was given the opportunity to by the fellow who wound up buying the engine. I absolutely refuse to deal with that seller again....and I tell anyone else who wants to deal with him about him.

Good luck with your engine, and hope things will resolve fairly quickly.

Mike M
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike McKnight For This Post:
Old 11-26-2011, 09:43:43 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,658 Times in 492 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McKnight View Post
I'm real sorry to hear of the problems you've had with your engine and the seller. As others have said, most folks in the hobby are pretty darn honest, but there's a few bad eggs out there. I once thought I had a deal made on an engine, then the seller tried to sell it to not one but two other people! I hadn't changed money yet though.....and DIDN'T, even though I was given the opportunity to by the fellow who wound up buying the engine. I absolutely refuse to deal with that seller again....and I tell anyone else who wants to deal with him about him.

Good luck with your engine, and hope things will resolve fairly quickly.

Mike M
I had a similar thing happen about 15 years ago. Made a deal on an Advance engine, told one "friend" about my purchase, next thing I knew the seller had "another offer". I got the engine bought but learned you tell NO ONE about a deal until the engine is home! Got the engine, but found out that a couple of guys I thought were "friends" were anything but. This ole Norwegian has a long memory!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gleaner For This Post:
Old 11-26-2011, 11:13:40 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,933 Times in 594 Posts

Mike,

I know you "spit" when you speak of that fella's name. But one good thing came out of that deal...you made a good friend in the end.

Lawrence
The Following User Says Thank You to GaarScott For This Post:
Old 11-26-2011, 12:01:24 PM
Registered

Unhappy Re: Advance straw burner: MISSING ENGINE!

I've posted this thread to the Montana Steam Engineers Assoc. group on Facebook. Also posted on the Western Montana Antique Power Assoc. group.

Good Luck
RickinMt.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Strobel For This Post:
Old 11-26-2011, 12:15:22 PM
Registered

I too, know the individuals involved on this end, and it's not because he was in $$ trouble. I'm not sure what the heck happened to Barry, as I've known him for years and went through high school with him. Greed is the culprit in this case, and it's a real shame! Hopefully it will get resolved quickly. Anything I can do on this end to help is offered to you Phil, Doug knows that too.
JH
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to John Hanson For This Post:
Old 11-26-2011, 10:02:31 PM

Thanked 4,294,967,124 Times in 3,929 Posts

John,

I figured you'd be the one to "rescue" and secure the engine for Philip!

Hopefully, with the additional publicity, the engine can be found and secured. It is sad that such events happen.

Here's to a speedy recovery!

Beth