Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles > Maytag Engine Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Maytag Engine Collectibles Maytag engines, washing machines, mowers and other engine driven tools for the farm.

Maytag Engine Collectibles

Ruth Self Feeder by Maytag need Info?

this thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 3829 times

Old 08-23-2013, 10:00:02 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: Ruth Self Feeder by Maytag need Info?

They are collectable, but don't have any idea as to the value. I collect Maytag and don't have one but I don't have a lot of things and seldom pay very much for anything I buy. So I don't have a an idea of value. Mark may have a better idea of value. I haven't seen one on ebay lately and it seems like most Maytag collectors have one or two or are not interested in anything but engines. So I can't be of any help on value. Price is always a hard thing to determine, Value to seller v/s value to buyer.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2013, 03:49:38 PM
Registered-III

Of all the governors I have seen only one is a Welch. It was marked Ruth, several Port Huron Govs I have seen were Pinkerings. Pinkering was a major manufacturer of steam and gas flyball governors so I had always been going by the thought that Pinkering made the Ruth Gov assembly for Maytag. My assumption has been that Ruth-Maytag adapted the Pinkering gov to their self feeders. The R- part numbers makes me think the gov was designed specifically for the Ruth. The Port Huron Govs also carry the same R- Part numbers as does the Welch. I have seen the gov assemblys sell for $75. to $225. Mark

{QUOTE}Inside the front cover is listed information on how to order parts. Number 2 on the list it states "ALWAYS give the SIZE of the MACHINE and state if equipped with ECLIPSE, SUCCESS or PICKERING GOVERNOR." I am not sure is Welch is another name for Eclipse or Success, but evidently they used three different governors. {UnQUOTE}
Old 11-20-2018, 10:26:49 PM
Registered-I

I just lucked into one of these governors at a barn sale. It is a little worn but seems complete. I paid 5 whole dollars for it but I would probably let it go for a couple of thousand. A ya right. Maybe I will clean it up for a wall hanging. It has no name on the cover.