Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines Fairbanks Morse, Lister, Petter, Witte and other pump injected Diesel oil engines.

Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines

Detroit diesel 6-71 dimensions

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 6358 times

Old 09-29-2011, 02:43:43 PM
Registered

Default Detroit diesel 6-71 dimensions

Hello,
I'm building a test stand for DD cranking motors and need to find the exact dimension from the center of the crankshaft to the center of the cranking motor shaft. The dimmension needs to be precise for the gears to mesh properly. The test stand will be used for extended cranking testing so I don't want the test stand to be a factor in premature starter failure.
I've got a 6-71 in the shop but can't determine a way to accurately measure the distance so a drawing or blueprint would be very helpful. I wasn't able to find this information online.
Thanks!
Tom
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2011, 03:26:39 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Detroit diesel 6-71 dimensions

Tom,
You should download and look through these 6-71 PDF's. There is a lot of information there which should help you.

http://www.powerlinecomponents.com/l...c_drawings.htm

You will find that the SAE flywheel housing size will change between different 6-71's. I think they were offered with SAE 1, 2, 3 and possibly 0.5 size flywheels.
If you have the engine handy. With the starter motor in place, you should be able to measure from the center of the starter motor shaft to the edge of the ring gear. From there you should be able to measure from the center of the flywheel to the outer edge of the ring gear.

With the starter on the work bench, you can remove the starter cone, and then measure your distances (from the center of the shaft to the edge of the ring gear). Then measure the flywheel center to outer ring gear. Then subtract the thickness of the gear teeth and add the gear lash value (several thousandths of an inch) and you will have the exact distance you need.

I'm not sure I follow why you want to build a starter motor tester. You ought to be able to test the starter all you want in its designed position. Simply, tie the governor handle in the no fuel position, and you can crank the engine over all day, or until the starter fails, without the engine ever running.

I have a GM Diesel advertisement of their hydrostarter. It failed after some 26,788 engine starts. That could take a really long time to measure!!!

Chris
The Following User Says Thank You to K-Tron For This Post:
Old 09-29-2011, 04:30:05 PM
Registered

Chris,
Thanks for the thorough response. I've got the flywheel and the nose piece/pinion on a bench so I can measure the distance if I knew the proper gear lash for this application. I've read 0.025" - 0.070" is proper gear lash for other applications but I don't know the lash for this application. Do you have a good number? I figured if I could get the dimension from a drawing it would take out the guess work.
We're actually building the test bench to evaluate locomotive starters. Suprisingly, the very large EMD locomotive 2-stroke diesels (~4,000HP) use the same type starters as the 6-71. They just use 2 of them and they're 32V. The railroads are having big problems with starter service life since many locomotives are using automatic start/stop systems to reduce idling. As a result, the number of starts changed from 1 or 2 a month to 6-10 a day.
Thanks again for your help!
Tom
Old 09-29-2011, 06:16:56 PM
Registered-III

Tom, the only figure I found in my Series 53/71 service manual for gear backlash were for the crankcase gears and the lash should be between .003" to .005"
Unfortunately my manuals do not list a lash value for the starter/ring gear mating gears

I'd call Leid Diesel and ask for Timothy (they specialize in the old 2-cycle gm diesels)
1-717-776-7725. He should be able to give you the proper numbers

Chris
Old 09-30-2011, 05:26:44 PM
Registered

Chris,

Thanks for the tip! I called Timothy and he handed me off to Irvin who is the expert in that particular area. He thinks he can find the measurement for me. Have a great weekend!

Tom
Old 10-03-2011, 05:23:13 PM
Registered

Chris,

Irvin from Leid Diesel found a mechanical drawing with the exact dimension on it. Our calculations were off by about 0.025" so it was very fortunate that you and Irvin were able to help. Irvin was very friendly and obviously very knowledgeable on Detroit Diesels.

Thanks for taking the time to help out a small American manufacturer!

Tom
The Following User Says Thank You to Tester1 For This Post:
Old 12-24-2018, 06:16:06 AM
Registered

Hi everybody!
I'm Andreas from Germany and currently considering a tractor conversion based on the 6-71 Detroit.
The engine I have has a 1063-7305 code and was fitted to a generator set.

Did a research on that and found a datasheet providing some dimensions such as SAE flange and further ones for the engine mounts on the flywheel side.

Currently I'm missing the dimensions on the front end. Powerlinecomponents offers really a plenty of drawings and also with dims on, but most are just principal. I tried to measure and convert by "scaling up" but it is a guessing method and of course not sufficiently precise for having machined connecting parts.

By the way the mentioned data sheet for the gen set drive indicates a related engine installation drawing: 2SA397 (5147477). I've searched on this but I couldn't find anything.

I haven't asked Leid Diesel so far. Maybe there's someone out there else who can assist...

To show my needs I've prepared a CAD sketch I could post with another thread.

Thank you such much!

With Christmas Greetings from Germany:
Andreas