Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Identify little grinder brand and HP

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 712 times

Old 01-10-2019, 12:17:51 AM
Registered-I

Default Identify little grinder brand and HP

Do you guys know what brand of grinder this is? I've seen one like it and came across this similar one on youtube. About what HP of hit and miss would be good on a grinder this size?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJHqEluaMsg

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2019, 11:02:20 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Identify little grinder brand and HP

Nik, That grinder was made in Waterloo, Iowa but there is very little information on the maker. I have several of them and have done a lot of research. I believe they were made by Associated, at least for a period of time. They were designated the "Iowa No. 16 Small Grain Mill" and sold through Montgomery Ward Co. An Associated engine manual contains a parts list for them, but no other info. They were also advertised by United in some of there advertisements as "United No. 16 Feed Mill". An early Chilton Tractor Index contains a list of grinders which lists it as Associated No. 6 (which I believe is an error and should be No. 16) giving it's specifications as follows : Cast Burr, 12 in. pulley w/ 3 in. face, pulley speed 150 to 400 R.P.M., belt speed 471 to 1256 R.P.M.,H.P. required 2 1/4 to 4, capacity 10 to 20 bushels per hour, weight 70 lbs. They may have been made prior to the formation of Associated Manufacturers, by one of the companies which merged to form them, but records do not exist that I know of. Parts were available from Swift Mfg. in Waterloo at some time. A 1919 Montgomery Ward catalog lists it for sale at $12.75 as a Small Grain Mill" and most of the parts are identical to another mill sold in the same catalog as a "Meal and Flour Grinder" for $17.50. The Meal & Flour Grinder is designed more for home use rather than animal feed and is designed to keep the oil a little further from the flour. It also has a shaker mechanism for a bolting attachment which will allow you to sift the flour from the grindings as it works. My photos in the Gallery show both grinders at work as well as one disassembled during restoration.
I have found that these mills will grind as much as you feel like gronding, with enough power, but without about 3 throttle governed H.P. they will jam and cause you greif. I have used a 2 1/4 H.P. Hired Man and found it marginal. When the engine hits the surge causes the belt to slip and come off. A three H.P. John Deere was better due to increased speed, but a 3 to 4 H.P. throttle gov. engine up to speed will grind all day. Sorry if this is more info. than you wanted ;-)….Have fun and enjoy !!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Don Tomlinson For This Post:
Old 01-10-2019, 04:30:09 PM
Registered-I

Thanks, Don! That's not more than I wanted, but way more than I expected! I have a 3 1/2 H&M Ottawa that it sounds like would run it if I didn't feed it hard and can also keep the belt on. The one I found has a bolt instead of a hand wheel for the burr adjustment, and the gate appears to have been replaced. It does have a hopper and hopper cover, though. I've never seen grinder with a hopper cover, but this one appears to be original with stenciling.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nik M For This Post:
Old 01-10-2019, 04:45:48 PM
Subscriber

Hey Nik M- We'd really like to see that stenciling on the cover. Can you please post a pic? Thanks-
Old 01-10-2019, 08:57:44 PM
Registered-I

I'll have to see it. One possibility is that it's some random cover that isn't original to the grinder. I've never seen a grinder with a cover. I'll take a closer look and let you know.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:10:47 AM
Registered-I

I posted photos on the Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles forum, since I thought maybe it was more off topic here. https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showt...=1#post1544203