Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles > Maytag Engine Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Maytag Engine Collectibles Maytag engines, washing machines, mowers and other engine driven tools for the farm.

Maytag Engine Collectibles

Ruth Self Feeder by Maytag need Info?

this thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 4005 times

Old 04-10-2012, 03:39:37 PM
Registered-III

Question Ruth Self Feeder by Maytag need Info?

I am looking for info of any kind. Pictures,how many made,used on what,etc
The Ruth Self Feeder
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2012, 09:03:20 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Ruth Self Feeder by Maytag need Info?

maytag parts king ,
the maytag general catalog no. 25 has about 33 pages dedicated to the ruth steel self feeder,lots of text ,pictures,working parts cross section, accessories. this catalog can sometimes bought as a reproduction on e/bay for about $12 to $15 i hope this helps
clement
The Following User Says Thank You to Clement Rook Jr. For This Post:
Old 04-11-2012, 10:01:42 AM
Registered-III

Clement has you on the right path for the best picture info available today. The Ruth Self Feeder was an adaption or modification available from Maytag to put on about any brand of threshing machine. Its purpose was to accurately regulate the speed of the feed belt that carried the wheat bundle (or oats) into the thresher. It was constructed and installed in such a way that if the thresher began to choke with too much material thus slowing the machine down or to a possible stall it would slow or halt the intake feed belt entirely till the choke was cleared and the machine picked speed back up. Slowing the thresher made separation of the grain inefficient causing a loss of grain. Threshers have to operate at a specific speed to separate the grain without excessive waste. It was a huge pain to clear a choked thresher. Inexperienced pitchers would choke them and even the experienced knew that if you had a boss that worked you like a dog and the breaks were too far apart just choke the thresher and you had a break till someone cleared it. This attachment eliminated this. On occasion the governor for the self feeder can be found at auctions, swap meets etc. It has a cover on the gear case identifying it as Ruth. There were two different governor assemblies, one made by Pickering the other by Welch. I believe there is a complete Machine in Newton, IA. at the Jasper County Museum with a Ruth on it.
How many was built is not known but they built a bunch of them. They were very popular. I have found the governors in every part of the country I have been over the years. They are not rare but they are scarce. The self feeders was also sold under the Case and Port Huron name. PS: The Ruth was named for Ruth the gleener from the Bible, Daughter in Law of Naomi. Ruth was the great grand mother of King David. Mark

Last edited by Mark Shulaw; 04-11-2012 at 10:53:36 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark Shulaw For This Post:
Old 04-11-2012, 11:29:36 AM
Registered-III

thanks for the info.
i will look for the book on ebay
mark with your info i almost dont need it.
thanks guys
Old 04-11-2012, 03:54:45 PM
Registered-III

Just curious what brought on the question? Find part of a Ruth? Mark
Old 04-11-2012, 10:34:41 PM
Registered-III

i have a couple and was thinking of cleaning one up for a display. just wanted to work on something other than a engine. Plus you dont see many.
next question What color were they painted? is the picture you sent a complete unit. if so i have the same ones or Am i missing anything?
You have parts? or a complete unit you want to part with?
im done with the question
Thanks again
Jason MTPK
Old 04-12-2012, 01:00:20 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maytag Parts King View Post
i have a couple and was thinking of cleaning one up for a display. just wanted to work on something other than a engine. Plus you dont see many.
next question What color were they painted? is the picture you sent a complete unit. if so i have the same ones or Am i missing anything?
You have parts? or a complete unit you want to part with?
im done with the question
Thanks again
Jason MTPK
I have never seen one with enough original paint to know and I have never restored one of mine to investigate the nooks and crannies for paint traces. Others I know of that were restored had no original paint left either. The two on my wall are complete governor assemblies. But the governor assembly is just a small portion of the The Ruth Self Feeder so how far you want to carry the word complete is somewhat subjective, LOL. Theres a whole machine it was part of, and that was attached to a thresher. I have a couple parts governors and thats it. I have no room to keep an entire self feeder let alone the thresher it would be attached to despite having a chance at a couple over the years. Mark
Old 08-18-2013, 04:20:02 PM
Registered

I have one of these I got from my Dad. I was going to list it on eBay, but was wondering if there is a value I should start it at, or if anybody here would be interested?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001_1.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	172652   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002_1.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	172653  
The Following User Says Thank You to Slim1025 For This Post:
Old 08-18-2013, 11:02:14 PM
Registered-I

Hi Guys,
A little additional information of the Ruth Self Feeder. I have a "Price List of Repairs for the Maytag Ruth Self Feeder. It is not dated but has repairs for both wood and steel models. Book contains 46 pages with the last two also giving parts list for Ruth White Wings Feeders. I counted attachments for the feeders to 45 different makes of threshers. All common names like Case, International, Port Huron, Rumley, Nichols & Shepard. Other names Suck as Birdsell, Cock of the North, Prairie Queen, Red River Special and Farquhar are also listed. The 45 different threshers names listed were also listed more then once depending on cylinder size.
Inside the front cover is listed information on how to order parts. Number 2 on the list it states "ALWAYS give the SIZE of the MACHINE and state if equipped with ECLIPSE, SUCCESS or PICKERING GOVERNOR." I am not sure is Welch is another name for Eclipse or Success, but evidently they used three different governors.
Cast parts for the Ruth Feeder start with the letter R followed by two or three numbers and also lists a Telegraph Cipher of all letters. Example bagaffe R324 Attachment Plate for "Prrairie Queen" $2.50 (bagaffe is telegraph cipher).
Old 08-21-2013, 04:05:26 AM
Registered

IS there a value to these things?
Old 08-23-2013, 10:00:02 PM
Registered-I

They are collectable, but don't have any idea as to the value. I collect Maytag and don't have one but I don't have a lot of things and seldom pay very much for anything I buy. So I don't have a an idea of value. Mark may have a better idea of value. I haven't seen one on ebay lately and it seems like most Maytag collectors have one or two or are not interested in anything but engines. So I can't be of any help on value. Price is always a hard thing to determine, Value to seller v/s value to buyer.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:49:38 PM
Registered-III

Of all the governors I have seen only one is a Welch. It was marked Ruth, several Port Huron Govs I have seen were Pinkerings. Pinkering was a major manufacturer of steam and gas flyball governors so I had always been going by the thought that Pinkering made the Ruth Gov assembly for Maytag. My assumption has been that Ruth-Maytag adapted the Pinkering gov to their self feeders. The R- part numbers makes me think the gov was designed specifically for the Ruth. The Port Huron Govs also carry the same R- Part numbers as does the Welch. I have seen the gov assemblys sell for $75. to $225. Mark

{QUOTE}Inside the front cover is listed information on how to order parts. Number 2 on the list it states "ALWAYS give the SIZE of the MACHINE and state if equipped with ECLIPSE, SUCCESS or PICKERING GOVERNOR." I am not sure is Welch is another name for Eclipse or Success, but evidently they used three different governors. {UnQUOTE}
Old 11-20-2018, 10:26:49 PM
Registered-I

I just lucked into one of these governors at a barn sale. It is a little worn but seems complete. I paid 5 whole dollars for it but I would probably let it go for a couple of thousand. A ya right. Maybe I will clean it up for a wall hanging. It has no name on the cover.