Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Farm Tractors
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Farm Tractors Vintage farm tractors on rubber tires with various implements. Ford, John Deere, Oliver, McCormick and more.

Antique Farm Tractors

John Deere A Governor Issues

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 9861 times

Old 10-12-2013, 07:42:48 PM
Subscriber

Default John Deere A Governor Issues

Have a 1940 JD A with governor issues. The cotter pins which hold the gov. weight pins in place broke allowing the weighs to fall down into the crankcase, no damage found to gov. case. Upon disassembly bearing under cover needed replaced.
Fished out the weights, replaced weight pins and cotter pins, and bearing, reassembled but governor still doesn't work correctly. Acts just as if there are no weights in the governor. Has any one else run into this problem, have a 1944 JD A with same problem and a retired JD mechanic with over 40 yrs. exp. couldn't figure that one out. Jim
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2013, 09:59:39 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: John Deere governor issues

What exactly does it do? Is it trying to run too fast? If so, (and after you've properly adjusted the throttle stop) it still tries to keep picking up rpm's, lengthen your governor to carb linkage. I've seen Deere field bulletins that say make the rod 1/2 a hole short of dropping into the throttle arm, but my 45 A tries to run off that way. I got it to stop by making it drop right in.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:33:50 PM

Thanked 20,317 Times in 5,910 Posts

If you didn't get the lever ends at both ends of the control sleeve in their proper places it won't do a thing.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A_governor.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	177054  
Old 10-13-2013, 10:59:24 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,974 Times in 1,589 Posts

Is the sleeve (Brass tube) free on the shaft? If it's stuck, it won't do a thing either...
Old 10-13-2013, 06:50:08 PM
Subscriber

Thanks guys for the suggestions, everything you have mentioned I checked during reassembly. romm you mention the brass sleeve, I wonder if it is worn enough that when the engine is running it puts the sleeve in a bind. But it will idle, but move the throttle lever enough so the governor spring has no pressure on the governor arm is when it wants to rev up. Jim
Old 10-14-2013, 10:35:37 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,974 Times in 1,589 Posts

I would think the sleeve would have to be really bad to make it bind, more likely it would flop around & chatter. Are you sure about the linkage adjustment mentioned below? The weights have to be pushed all the way in when the throttle is wide open or the governor will not act right...

Just thought of another possibility-is the governor getting oil? May be dry & sticky?
Old 12-15-2013, 11:54:50 AM
Subscriber

Just wanted to update this thread. I disassembled the governor to find that the pins attaching the weights to the fan shaft drive gear had came out and the weights had fallen into the crankcase. Installed new pins, fished weights out of crankcase, and cleaned governor housing. Reassembled and ran and it did the same thing. Torn it down again and found weights had thrown out of place. Ended up replacing both weights and changing out brass sleeve because of several grooves worn in it. Also rechecked oil spray holes in case again. Now runs fine. I think from what I found problem was caused by lack of oil. Just wanted to thank everyone for their input, Jim
The Following User Says Thank You to J Ware For This Post:
Old 12-15-2013, 12:26:36 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,419 Times in 837 Posts

Some of these have an Oil Hole behind the oil gauge that sprays oil on the Fanshaft gears. Be SURE that it is Open.

Many years ago I had a friend that wanted his Gears replaced so he took it to the dealership and a Great Old Time 2 cylinder mechanic worked on it, We put it on the tractor and the gears were really noisey. You geussed it he never cleaned the hole out and we had to do it over
Old 02-10-2017, 04:59:28 PM
Registered-III

Smile Re: John Deere governor issues

Sorry to crank up an old thread, but I just wanted to show my appreciation for the help that this thread provided me. I normally hang out on the Onan part of this website, but I have just "re-inherited" my grandfather's old John Deere Model B (1943) vintage tractor. I renovated this tractor a number of years ago and swapped it to my business partner for a Volkswagen. He is now in ill health and gave it back to me. However, it had been taken to a "mechanic" to fix a fan-gear problem, which, after three years, had not been fixed. I now have this tractor back and have the parts on the way to repair the governor and associated gears.
This unit suffered from lack of lubrication to the fan gears, which caused the original problem. I simply could not figure out how these gears got any lubrication until I found this thread. A little poking with a small drill bit found the hole behind the oil pressure gauge fitting into the housing.
Thanks for your help. I'm sure I'll be back with other questions.
Dave Edmonds
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Edmonds For This Post:
Old 07-13-2018, 12:24:22 PM
Registered

Default Re: John Deere A Governor Issues

I have a John Deere A, 1946. I drug it out of some woods. cleaned the points, put gas and battery in and it cranked and runs great. There is a roaring sound however, that seems to be coming from the rear fanshaft/governor area. I fear it may not be getting lubrication. I saw this post about a hole that allows oil spray to the gears. How is that accessed?