Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

2HP Detriot Engine

this thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 1491 times

Old 05-13-2018, 07:52:14 PM
Subscriber

Photo 2HP Detriot Engine

I pick this engine up this weekend at local auction that Nixon had in Azle TX . My question is there any way of aging these engines it runs really well .I've finally figured out how too stall it an go in the opposite direction https://youtu.be/xtHt385I6Hc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	detroit engine 004.JPG
Views:	294
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	310379   Click image for larger version

Name:	detroit engine 007.JPG
Views:	251
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	310380   Click image for larger version

Name:	detroit engine 008.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	310381   Click image for larger version

Name:	detroit engine 009.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	310382  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Todd Hodges For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2018, 08:12:12 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,994 Times in 1,314 Posts
Default Re: 2HP Detriot Engine

Todd,
Nice looking outfit. You have the early two-piece injector & the "claw" air valve governor linkage. Check out John Davis's website He's the expert.:
http://www.antiquengines.com/Detroit...Works_Menu.htm
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doug Kimball For This Post:
Old 05-13-2018, 09:02:38 PM
Subscriber

I have a ?? or two
First is do you have to mix 2cycle oil in gas since it has drip oilers on cylinder
Two whats the normal RPM range and how does the governor work on 2 cycle engine
Where is serial number located on Engine and is there a registry for these engines
More questions to come Thanks for all future questions
Old 05-13-2018, 10:35:59 PM
Subscriber

the serial number is usually on the end of the crankshaft.

hope this helps
Chad
Old 05-14-2018, 07:21:59 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,994 Times in 1,314 Posts

Todd,
Most mix oil in gas & plug one side of oiler, but don't plug the side that feeds a slinger inside crankcase on governor side.
Detroit limits air valve opening to control speed. Starbolt sells a manual that explains things pretty well.
Mine has no serial # on crankshaft or even the tag.
Not sure on rpm but if you over speed it will start to hop off the ground.
Have you looked at John's Detroit website yet?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Doug Kimball For This Post:
Old 05-14-2018, 05:15:22 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,288 Times in 4,063 Posts
Exclamation Re: 2HP Detriot Engine

SAE 30 oil in the oilers. 8 to 10 drips/minute, once the engine warms up. You must use sealed type oilers if you do not have the original two post unit. The oilers depend on crankcase differential pressure to inject oil. One oiler feeds the piston and wrist pin, the other the crankshaft big end bearing, via a slinger on the crank. MIXING GAS AND OIL WILL NOT LUBRICATE THE ENGINE! The fuel mixture never sees the interior of the engine. It passes thru the transfer port directly to the combustion chamber, and gets burned. The outer bearings on the crank get lubed from grease cups, which also provides a seal against air flow thru the bearings.

Yes, the engine S/N is stamped into the end of the crank, under the brass cover. As far as I know, there is no S/N date list. I believe that John Davis does have a registry though. He too is very knowledgable on the Detroit engines. My 2 HP Detroit looks very similar to yours, and it was made in 1909. Mine was originally used in a Vaudville theatre to run the lights. Unfortunately, the man who retrieved the engine, left the generater in the building that was later demolished.
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Old 05-18-2018, 12:11:02 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,145 Times in 331 Posts
Photo Re: 2HP Detriot Engine

Hi Todd, Glad to see another Detroit's a live and running. You will find that there are a few different opinions on how the 2 cycle Detroit's fuel & oil systems operate and if you should use 2 cycle oil or not. I'll try to explain what I have learned about the fuel & oil systems over the years working on many of the Detroit's. However in the end you will still have to decide in what you believe is right and what you think is best for your engine.

Detroit 2 Cycle Stationary fuel reservoir/injector Engines.

Mixing 2 cycle oil with gas good or bad idea?

If you look at your engine close the injector is mounted low on the cylinder and the piston is all the way at the bottom of it's stroke when fuel is injected and sprayed under low pressure into the cylinder deflected and some what vaporized in the upward direction by hitting the hot bar on top of the piston. At the same time this is happening you have air from the crankcase being forced up the port on the side and into the cylinder which also helps to push the fuel mixture up. The whole cylinder area including the walls of the cylinder now have fuel as the piston starts on it's way up. So if oil is mixed with the gas it will lubricate the cylinder walls. Much of the oil/fuel is burned and goes out the exhaust but some does help lubricate the cylinder walls & rings as the piston travels up on compression. Although there is very little lubrication below the piston rings from the 2 cycle oil.

Drip oiler's on or off?

Reasons you should use the drip oiler's. One drip line feeds the lower connecting rod bearing. Not much 2 cycle oil ever makes it way to this bearing.

The second drip line does lubricates the cylinder, piston and upper connecting rod bearing. If you look at your engine and notice that this oil port on the side of the cylinder is located lower then the fuel injector. It distributes oil below the piston rings so the oil can eventually make it's way into the hole that goes through the wrist pin and into a small hole that lubricates the upper connecting rod bearing. Also oils cylinder and piston skirts.

Always use the drip oiler's.

Running Detroit with no load, slow use just the drip oiler's you will be fine.

Running Detroit under load working it or a marine engine in a boat use drip oiler's and 2 cycle oil/gas mix.

Make sure your drip oiler or oiler's have check valves to keep crankcase pressure from leaking back into the main oil reservoir. Does not matter if the main oil reservoir is sealed or vented. I have run Detroit's with vented and sealed reservoirs and they work fine either way as long as they have check valves. No oil injection from pressure with the drip oilers. Only the larger Detroit's with mechanical oiler's inject the oil using pressure. However there is a slight suction from the crankcase to the drip oiler lines that help pull the oil to it's lubrication points.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Detroit_Engine_Cut_Away_View_001s.gif
Views:	54
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	310655  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to John Davis For This Post:
Old 05-19-2018, 01:45:54 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,288 Times in 4,063 Posts

John, The original 2 post oiler uses both pressure and vacuum to operate. It is a sealed type oiler. When the piston goes up, the oil is pulled into the crank pin bearing slinger. When the piston goes down, the top of the oiler is pressurized adding to the volume of oil released when the ports are uncovered. Just mixing the gas and oil, and NOT using the oilers will starve both the low end bearing and the upper rod bearing and lower piston skirt. I had a bit of a row with CH Wendel many years ago, over the fact of oiler use on the Detroits. As you stated, the oil/fuel mix only goes to the top of the cylinder. NO fuel reaches the crankcase or internal engine parts, it all goes to the top of the piston, as the fuel is injected directly into the transfer passage, once the transfer port is uncovered by the piston.
Old 05-19-2018, 04:47:18 PM
Subscriber

Thanks y’all to John and Andrew I’ll probably some more questions as I go forward with this Engine Ok now for the next question how often do you drain the crankcase I run this engine all day today at show I drained it was I loaded on the trailer to come home didn’t seem like there that much oil is it ok just to drain once a dayr

Last edited by Todd Hodges; 05-19-2018 at 08:02:06 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:16:22 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,145 Times in 331 Posts

Andrew it's not a big deal, people have different opinions all the time. Although I can tell you from experience from running many Detroit's and Sandow 2 cycle engines stationary & marine with low pressure fuel injection systems that the oil reservoir's are not pressurized from the crankcase when the piston goes down. The reason why is because the check valves below the oil reservoir keeps this from happening. However if the engine is run at a very very slow speed, slower then normal operating speed (not under a load) some pressure may leak past the check balls and bubble air into the reservoir. This is because the engine is running so slow that there is not enough pressure from the crankcase to keep the check ball seated properly so air tends to escape past it. If the engine is running at normal operating speed the check balls should seat and keep pressure from entering the oil reservoir. I have a couple Detroit 2 cycle engines with the low pressure fuel injection systems that have vented oil reservoir's and they both lubricate & work just fine.

Todd, Normally I drain the crankcase when the engine has been setting like over night or longer because the excess oil from when it was running will drain down and settles in the bottom of the crankcase after the engine is shut off. Excess oil in the crankcase has a tendency of making the engine difficult to start. The only other time I drain the crankcase is if for some reason you flood the engine with gas then the gas will also settle to the bottom of crankcase and also make starting the engine difficult.

Last edited by John Davis; 05-24-2018 at 10:43:21 PM. Reason: Add instructions for Todd.
The Following User Says Thank You to John Davis For This Post: