Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs Discussion about magnetos, buzz coils, spark plugs, ignitors and low tension coils.

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs

Condensors

this thread has 16 replies and has been viewed 1581 times

Old 08-21-2018, 11:31:20 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,057 Times in 2,356 Posts
Default Re: Condensors

A while back some enterprising techs in the shop discussed stacking 4 foot square sheets of raw circuit board material to create a capacitor. When I heard a couple loud bangs coming from the shop I went downstairs to see a few guys laughing. They charged this thing with a 1 kV supply and had it connected with some 200 MCM cable.

They had fun vapourising some wire etc. After I turned on my Mr. manager personality they got hella lecture out of me. One guy was bitching about the lecture which earned him a three day suspension. What they didn't realise that something as big as this stack of about 50 sheets is prone to some charge migration. It'll recharge itself a bit after the initial pop. I had them short everything out for a few hours and put the non damaged sheets back in inventory. Yes, about ten of them were junk from the internal arcing.

I have no idea as to the farad capacity of this stack but it had to be big.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2018, 11:56:38 AM
Registered-II

Well at least they weren't electrocuting each other!
Old 09-28-2018, 05:10:33 PM
Registered

So what is a GOOD brand name condenser for these engines if there is such a thing? I need one for in a Wico EK mag. And how do you know what condenser to use
Old 09-28-2018, 10:40:39 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsy View Post
So what is a GOOD brand name condenser for these engines if there is such a thing? I need one for in a Wico EK mag. And how do you know what condenser to use
I'm into old outboard motors , most have simple flywheel magnetos, Eisemann, Wico, Johnson, Evinrude etc. Within the antique outboard community ( aomci.org) much research has been done to record info about magneto components, especially the capacitors. capacitors are the only component in a classic mag that has a "shelf life". Yes, a capacitor, especially the old style waxpaper/ foil ones will deteriorate with age even if not used.
If you look at many mag spec sheets for capacitor size ( electrical capacitance. micro- farads) you will see that very many call for a cap in about .22 mf rated for at least 300volt. A modern plastic foil capacitor that we have found that does a super job in all the instances that we have tried is made by Vishay, .22mf rated at 850v .(available from electronic component supply houses , I us Digikey) These are small enough to fit in any mag. and for those that want to keep the original look, the Vishay cap can be creatively fit into the metal can of the old waxpaper cap.

Joe B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	V condenser.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	319808  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JoeCB For This Post:
Old 09-29-2018, 12:41:19 AM
Registered-III

For my vintage mowers and magnetos for the stationary engines I too use a film capacitor rather than a condensor now.
I buy them from the local electronic store or buy them in bulk online at the usual auctions sites.
These come in various physical sizes and again as described can be inserted inside the original canister if required. I get 0.22Mf 640V and made with a ceramic coating to help insulate from any heat.
The Following User Says Thank You to cobbadog For This Post:
Old 09-29-2018, 07:35:28 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobbadog View Post
For my vintage mowers and magnetos for the stationary engines I too use a film capacitor rather than a condensor now.
I buy them from the local electronic store or buy them in bulk online at the usual auctions sites.
These come in various physical sizes and again as described can be inserted inside the original canister if required. I get 0.22Mf 640V and made with a ceramic coating to help insulate from any heat.
Could you post a link of one that you'd typically buy on ebay?

Here is a picture of my existing one. There's no markings on them, that's the thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00122.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	319820  
Old 09-29-2018, 07:36:42 AM
Registered

I've got spark, its just weak and I was aware the condensors deteriorate so are suspect for weak spark.