Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines Fairbanks Morse, Lister, Petter, Witte and other pump injected Diesel oil engines.

Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines

2-71 Detroit Diesel Spewing Oil From Exhaust

this thread has 21 replies and has been viewed 1586 times

Old 09-20-2018, 11:58:49 AM
Registered

Default 2-71 Detroit Diesel Spewing Oil From Exhaust

I just finished overhauling my 2–71 Detroit diesel generator. I put new rings in power honed cylinders and basically checked everything out and make sure it was in good shape. So I started up and ran really nicely but after about 15 minutes I noticed some black oil coming out of the exhaust manifold to muffler connection so I shut it down. I did some research on this issue and found out the first thing I needed was correct two stroke 40 weight oil not the multi viscosity 4 stroke stuff I was using, so I drained the oil and bought Delo 100-40. The engine started right back up but after running again for a while so did the oil coming out the exhaust. So the other two culprits mentioned in online post are broken oil control rings which I was pretty careful when I installed, or leaking blower seals/clogged blower vent lines (I don't see any vent lines). Anyone here have an idea on how to narrow down source of the problem?

Thanks
Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180919_093402.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	319142  
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2018, 12:52:09 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: 2-71 Detroit Diesel spewing oil from exhaust

I would think more toward the blower shaft seals leaking. My cousin had one of those engines in a 440 JD dozer. The seals leaked so bad it made the engine run away once. He got it shut down before it blew!
Old 09-20-2018, 01:10:35 PM
Subscriber

You'll probably have more of the right folks reading this thread if you post in the Vintage Diesel forum here...

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=60

I suspect one of the site moderators will move it there once they see it.

Nice looking engine by the way.
The Following User Says Thank You to ScooterBob For This Post:
Old 09-20-2018, 02:09:41 PM
Registered-III

If the blower rotors are blackened and soaked in oil, that is where you should start looking. If the blower rotors are still clean, chances are the oil is coming from the cylinder itself. Im not sure how you honed the liner but if you used a ball hone the liner is garbage. Ball hones will knock the sharp edges off the ports in the liner and allow excess oil to get past the rings. Detroit Diesel pistons are installed in a long tapered ring compressor that fits onto the bottom of the liner. If you did not use the right ring compressor, or perhaps installed the piston from the top of the engine you most likely damaged the oil control rings when they were forced past the liner openings. Detroits also do not like to be run at idle for extended periods of time without a load. Wet stacking will occur, but with how short of a run time you have on your engine it sounds to me like a bad oil control ring or a bad blower seal.

Chris
The Following User Says Thank You to K-Tron For This Post:
Old 09-20-2018, 02:30:52 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,974 Times in 1,589 Posts

Quit idling it & work the snot out of it for a while before you start tearing it apart. The rings aren't seated, & never will be until you put a load on it.
Smokstak member #442
The Following User Says Thank You to ronm For This Post:
Old 09-20-2018, 02:49:21 PM
Sponsor

After reading all the post, I totally disagree with ronm and 100% agree with K-tron. I worked with Detroits for 30+years and if the source of oil is coming from the blower and you try to run the snot out of it, you very well may end up with a pile of parts because they will run away with you given too much oil to the combustion chamber. Believe me I've seen it happen twice in the 30+ years of working on them. Like K-ton said, take a look at the blower rotors and see if they have oil on them, if they do the seals are leaking.
Good Luck
The Following User Says Thank You to Wayne Rosier For This Post:
Old 09-20-2018, 02:52:20 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,492 Posts

Agreed- leaking blower seals are nothing to take chances with!
Old 09-20-2018, 03:17:58 PM
Registered-II

Really need to know how the rebuild was done. If it was simply a re-ring job without removing the sleeves then the rings are pretty much going to be toast. If the engine had a lot of hours and the ring job was done right but the blower was untouched, then the seals in the blower are junk; hard & brittle and maybe even broken. There are two air box drains on a 2-17, one on each side and if there is any amount of oil coming out of these then the blower is the major suspect. Ours had bad seals and blew oil out of the drains like an oil well. Fixed the seals and engine was happy, no more oil. Seals came out in pieces. Can also take off the side cover and look into the air box. That may tell you something too.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:04:05 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,085 Times in 568 Posts

Check the blower seals first! A runaway can blow the engine apart if you fail to stop it in time.

But if the blower is clean, then try working it a little to see if it breaks in and behaves. If that doesn't help, something went wrong and it probably needs different rings or a new sleev.e
Old 09-20-2018, 04:10:47 PM
Registered-II

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100613
These are the original photos of our 2-71 set. If you look real close to the fuel filter side of the engine, near the fuel pump you can make out a hard line; this is the drain from the air box on the right side of the engine. The left side drain exits from under the blower. It is tough to look at the blower rotors on the 2-71 as the intake is part of the blower housing.