Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines Fairbanks Morse, Lister, Petter, Witte and other pump injected Diesel oil engines.

Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines

2-71 Detroit Diesel Spewing Oil From Exhaust

this thread has 21 replies and has been viewed 1581 times

Old 09-21-2018, 08:15:07 AM
Registered

Default Re: 2-71 Detroit Diesel Spewing Oil From Exhaust

Thanks for all the great advice, this was an low hours engine that had sat for 30 years replacing my original engine that had sat for 3 years unknowing filled with rain water. The new engine looked good but decided to do a re ring job and yes I used a ball hone. Liners were removed and I used a ring compressor and was pretty darn sure I did not damage the rings.

engine has run for a total of about 30 minutes without any load other than spinning the generator rotor which is not wired yet to do any generating. I plan to open up the blower access and see what it looks like, I am hoping it's seals as they were the originals now 50 years old.

I'll report back again thanks for all the help!
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2018, 09:01:24 AM
Registered-II

I will 2nd the importance of loading the pistons from the bottom and using the CORRECT ring compressor. If you loaded from the top, no matter what ring compressor you used, it can damage the oil control rings which are never supposed to pass the ports. When loaded from the bottom, only push the piston far enough in so the bottom of the piston is in the liner.
If you didn't pull the liners, you couldn't have loaded from the bottom, so there is a chance the oil rings are damaged.
Also, on lined engines it is not recommended to hone, just replace liners.
I missed the last post where you did say you pulled the liners, sorry, but good info to keep in mind anyway.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:03:16 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,971 Times in 1,587 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoabill View Post
and yes I used a ball hone.
Well then...the plot thickens.
Smokstak member #442
Old 09-21-2018, 04:55:09 PM
Registered

I pulled the little access plate on the top of the blower and can see quite a bit of oil around what must be the push rod tubes, it's hard to tell if it's coming out of the cylinder or being sprayed in from blower, see attached picture. Question is can I run the motor with the blower access plate removed and watch to see what way the oil is coming from or would that just be a giant mess?

Is there any way to test oil control rings or is the blow by the test? I really hate the idea of pulling this apart again, blower would not be that bad. If it has to happen it will, just may be a future project instead of a completed one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180921_112248.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	319237  
Old 09-21-2018, 05:24:58 PM
Registered-II

Don't try and run it without the plate on, it won't start and if it could it would blow oil all over you.
I would start with the blower seals first. If they are 50 years old there is no question that they are bad. If you do it yourself just be real careful with the shims and washers on the shafts, don't mix them up as you will disturb the timing of the rotors and they will rub together and wreck things bad. Have to get a manual to make sure you do it right.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:49:14 PM
Registered-II

You can run a 6-71 with one plate removed, Or at least at idle, I don't think a 2-71 would run. There shouldn't be a lot of oil in the air box. If there is you need to find out where it is coming from.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:35:19 AM
Registered

I built a clear Plexiglas plate to replace the blower access cover and before installing cleaned area out with some parts cleaner so it was dry. I installed clear plate and ran motor, I did not see oil coming from blower but it looked more like it was collecting around push rod tubes, maybe coming down from top of tube, but hard to see, could also have been coming out of from cylinder port. This is my third 15 minute run on motor and oil problem seams to be less, maybe rings are just taking a while to seat.

Does anyone know if there are push rod tube seals on this motor, don't recall replacing them and none of the manuals I have talk about them. Also don't see exhaust valves seals on exploded view of the head?

Thanks
Bill
Old 09-24-2018, 02:25:26 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,725 Times in 700 Posts

No valve stem seals that I know of.
Excess crankcase pressure could move raw oil down the valve guides into the exhaust ports. If this much oil was getting into the combustion chamber it should cause excessive smoke. Try running it with the oil filler cap off.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:16:03 AM
Registered-II

Is the crankcase vent system all clear and open? As noted, Detroit's will build crankcase pressure even in a brand new engine just by leakage from the blower and air box. Can't see the left side of the engine in the photo, but it looks like there is no venting in the valve cover. Original equipment venting on the 2-71 is part of the governor housing/mount and looks like an upside down U. On our unit, with the odd electric governor, the original user just had a hose attached to the side of the mount and laid it down under the set. Because the blower seals were so bad, it blew oil all over the place, plus the air box drains had oil catchers attached to contain all the other blow-by. In trucks, this is what they refer to as the truck "marking it's territory". When I fixed the blower, I drilled the valve cover and installed a Mopar valve cover breather w/ hose to vent the crankcase. Works very well and being located on the very top of the engine, there is no condensation anywhere in the top-end (which is very common if not run @ for extended periods to get good and hot).

Good suggestion to try and run it without the cap on and see what goes on.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:27:07 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,971 Times in 1,587 Posts

You've run it for 45 minutes then, with no load? At what RPM? Slow idle? Just sayin'...

Is the air box drain open? You have never said anything about it...
All these Detroit experts obsessing about blower seals...there are simpler & more likely problems being ignored.
Smokstak member #442

Last edited by ronm; 09-25-2018 at 04:06:29 PM.