Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion > Unidentified Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Unidentified Engines Post your photos and questions about your unknown engine and look for answers here.

Unidentified Engines

Iowa Dairy Separator Company Engine

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 614 times

Old 09-20-2018, 02:54:16 PM
Registered

Default Iowa Dairy Separator Company Engine

I was wondering if anyone out there had info a 2 HP Chore Boy, not an Associated, but an Iowa Dairy Separator Co engine. It has a cast brass tag and resembles a hopper cooled waterloo boy.
Please help.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2018, 04:53:45 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Iowa Dairy Separator Co engine

associated manufactures was a division of Iowa Dairy Separator Co. at one time it was a very large conglomerate of company's and had with weird ties with Davis engine works, Sherman and smith john deer and others. they also at times marketed products made by Maytag and john deer. At different times john deer sold Iowa cream separators and shared magniteos and 18-25 hp engine. Most likely the engine is a extremely early associated made by Sherman and smith. they where bought out by Iowa dairy to start there venture into the engine market. Please show us a picture of the engine very early associated are very uncommon.

Last edited by S. Williamson; 09-20-2018 at 05:01:34 PM. Reason: info
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S. Williamson For This Post:
Old 09-20-2018, 05:20:26 PM
Registered

I will do my best to upload a picture when I am back from the hurricane relief effort. I'm working the powerlines now. I know it's not a sherman Smith, it looks like like a Waterloo boy. It is tagged Iowa Dairy Separator Co and has their IDSCo logo in the middle of the nameplate.
The Following User Says Thank You to JRConner For This Post:
Old 09-20-2018, 06:28:02 PM
Registered-III

i forgot to add this link from Keith's web sight on the early days of associated engines http://www.oldengine.org/members/smi...atedpage16.htm
The Following User Says Thank You to S. Williamson For This Post:
Old 09-20-2018, 07:59:54 PM
Registered

Thank you for the link. I spoke with 2 Waterloo historians over the summer, one who ran the museum out there. He stated that Associated was formed by Iowa Dairy Separator Co and they later bought Sherman Smith who was selling Associated engines before associated made there own. He emphasised mine was an Iowa Dairy Separator Co engine before associated made them.I can't find an easy link to post photos, but I will get a pic out to you one way or another.
Thank you again.