Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines Fairbanks Morse, Lister, Petter, Witte and other pump injected Diesel oil engines.

Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines

Fairbanks 20HP Y?

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 946 times

Old 09-26-2018, 05:37:52 PM
Subscriber

Default Fairbanks 20HP Y?

I have a 20HP FBM Y engine in great shape. I've tried twice to start and Murphy has stepped in both times. The hot tube,which is about 1 1/2 inches long and very clean inside, but does not have a heat shield. I've had it red hot each time and did get a few smoke rings out of the exhaust but never completing a cycle. I tried with air start and man start with similar results. What I would like to know if anyone here has used a glow plug in place of the tube? I can make an adapter to fit a glow plug and would like a suggestion to a model or type that could be used. Since they operate at a high current low voltage I'll probably use a high current low voltage transformer fed with a variac. I searched here on Smokstak for an answer and didn't find too much information. The two helping, in both attempts to start are knowledgeable engine guys and we had checked the air valve in the rear of the engine and I've checked the injector and both seem to work as they should. Also would a spark plug work with diesel? If so, that would be an easy job. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Charles
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2018, 06:21:56 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 4,670 Times in 1,186 Posts
Default Re: Fairbanks 20HP Y ???

The starting tube was fine when the engine was new so it should work fine now. Something else is wrong. You need to make sure the fuel pump is injecting enough fuel and that the injector is in good condition with a good spray.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Hazzard For This Post:
Old 09-26-2018, 06:30:09 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,871 Times in 1,138 Posts

Stakker Ken Majeski has a great youtube video of him starting his YH, Chuck Moss has some YH videos as well. Are you using 2 sets of arms to bounce it off compression after manually spraying the injector?
The Following User Says Thank You to Contaucreek For This Post:
Old 09-26-2018, 10:09:19 PM
Subscriber

We have a 25 hp HB that was designed to start with a glow plug. we made an adapter so it could use a auto lite glow plug for a 1993 7.3L ford diesel. This engine uses a starting spoon to direct the diesel to the glow plug. I might ad that one time we thought the injector nozzle was not right as it just squirted a stream like out of a oil can. We put a nozzle in with a nice pattern and the engine absolutely would not start. Put the old stream spray nozzle back and it started right up.

PS We run the glow plug on 6 volts and it seems to work fine.

Last edited by Gene Williams; 09-26-2018 at 11:05:13 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gene Williams For This Post:
Old 09-26-2018, 11:23:02 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,255 Times in 680 Posts

If you are getting the hot tube red hot it should start the engine. The injector in the 10 HP YH Fairbanks engine I worked on shoots the fuel in a stream off to the side so it hits the little bowl in the center of the compression chamber. When you crank the engine, do you turn it backwards until it is against compression? It should fire and turn forward the way it runs. The injector has a slot machined in it to match a dowel in the head so the injector shoots the fuel toward the cup. Does your engine have a flat belt pulley on it? If it does, belt it up to a tractor.
The Following User Says Thank You to Heins For This Post:
Old 09-27-2018, 12:16:32 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Fairbanks 20HP Y?

Bill taking your suggestion about fuel injection caused me to check out my injector/pump again. Might have discovered the problem. I removed the nozzle and used the hand pump handle and it produced a good shot/flow of fuel, however I opened the compression release and turned the engine over and only a small dribble of fuel came out. My question is how far should the pump plunger be moved by the engine? Or is something missing between the push rod and pump head? Somewhere a friend showed me a posting on facebook that spoke of a piece of wood on the end of the push rod. It that correct? If anyone can help me in setting the correct distance the push rod for the fuel injector moves to give the proper fuel stream. I think the problem is in this area. Thanks for all that has helped and an advanced thanks for additional info. Charles
Old 09-27-2018, 12:56:07 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 4,670 Times in 1,186 Posts

It's been a long time since I have worked on one but check to make sure that the governor is giving the full stroke to the pump. Also you should give a few stokes by hand before starting, that should give it enough fuel for starting.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Hazzard For This Post:
Old 09-27-2018, 01:43:11 PM
Subscriber

Bill I just checked and the injector push rod only moves forward moving the injector pump less than 1/8 of an inch. That is with the governor weight at rest. Any idea how far the push rod should move the plunger in this condition? I've have a copy of the manual and don't see anything missing that I can tell.
I hope this is zeroing in on the problem. Charles
Old 09-27-2018, 04:34:16 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,479 Times in 4,186 Posts

Not sure, but it sounds like the governor is not giving the fuel pump enough stroke. 1/8" seems way to little to start, much less run a 20 HP engine!
Old 09-27-2018, 05:00:29 PM
Subscriber

Success at last! Made a minor adjustment on the injector stop adjuster and changed to a better heat source and in about 5 minutes later, with the aid of air start, away she ran. Sorry for the poor video but I could have used a third hand. Thanks to all ideas and help. It got me to thinking and studying the manual and that did it. Cheers Charles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6Ae16QXpxI
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sekiar For This Post:
Old 09-27-2018, 06:34:20 PM
Subscriber

Success at last! Made a minor adjustment on the injector stop adjuster and changed to a better heat source and in about 5 minutes later, with the aid of air start, away she ran. Sorry for the poor video but I could have used a third hand. Thanks to all ideas and help. I got me to thinking and studying the manual and that did it. Cheers Charles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6Ae16QXpxI
Old 09-30-2018, 09:28:12 PM
Registered

Congratulations! It sounds strong.