Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs Discussion about magnetos, buzz coils, spark plugs, ignitors and low tension coils.

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs

Wico EK on a Lauson - weak spark - ideas?

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 505 times

Old 09-30-2018, 02:15:57 PM
Registered

Default Wico EK on a Lauson - weak spark - ideas?

Looking for some help here on a Lauson 1 1/2 with a Wiko EK that has really weak spark. It won't spark under compression in the cylinder and run the engine unless I knock the gap down to about 0.015 or less. And then it seems to require a really rich mixture to fire, which fouls the Autolite 3076 plugs and just is basically been a real headache.

I ordered some Champion W89D long-reach plugs which I am thinking may help with better gas mixture contact and less fouling (the threads in the head are very deep). In the mean time I'm looking for some ideas here of why I'd be getting such weak spark.

Here's more details:
I had the Mag cover off and cleaned the points of oil, and set them to trip open at about 0.07". The magnets seem fairly strong when you pull them apart. I also cleaned both magnet surfaces well. All wire connections look ok to me, stud nuts are tight. The case cover has the spring-loaded tab to ground out the right coil. The spring going out to the spark plug wire connector contacts the coil good, and I shined the spring up. I always push the spark plug cable the whole way into the mag hole so it makes good contact.

If I wanted to test the plug wire, what should my Ohm reading been? Can I measure capacitance of the capacitor/condensor, would that tell me if its good/bad? I assume the nuts on the end of this capacitor are insulated from the wires, they definitely contact the case.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00122.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	319915  
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2018, 03:27:10 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,874 Times in 1,002 Posts
Default Re: Wico EK on a Lauson - weak spark - ideas?

Spark plug wire should be zero ohms
Condensor about .22 or so micro farads.

I don't know about your points setting though. 0.07"? I use 3/32 allen keys
Anyways, here's how to set the points
https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=163200

Cheers Scott
The Following User Says Thank You to Scotty 2 For This Post:
Old 09-30-2018, 03:51:45 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,133 Posts

AND that's the original condenser. It should be replaced, cheap, sponsors here, and othershave them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pat Barrett For This Post:
Old 09-30-2018, 04:10:30 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Barrett View Post
AND that's the original condenser. It should be replaced, cheap, sponsors here, and othershave them.
Yep, I'm going to do that. Probably from frappi on ebay (Mark).

Just in the last half hour I discovered what seems to have been at least part of the problem, the lead out tower of the mag. I put a copper shim in forward of my spark plug wire to augment the spring and I'm not getting more consistent spark on a plug gap up to 0.020. Above that it disappears. So I believe that was part of the problem but not the complete problem. A condenser is definitely in order and an easy decision. Then we'll go from there.
Old 09-30-2018, 05:57:21 PM
Registered-I

Watch when the mag trips for the armature opening square, equally on both sides.If it has a rocking motion, with one side opening slightly first, then both, likely the bushing is wore out, allowing the rocking motion. To have a good spark, it needs to snap open, both side equally at the same time. I have had to rebuild several because of his.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Renny For This Post:
Old 09-30-2018, 06:51:09 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsy View Post
Yep, I'm going to do that. Probably from frappi on ebay (Mark).

Just in the last half hour I discovered what seems to have been at least part of the problem, the lead out tower of the mag. I put a copper shim in forward of my spark plug wire to augment the spring and I'm not getting more consistent spark on a plug gap up to 0.020. Above that it disappears. So I believe that was part of the problem but not the complete problem. A condenser is definitely in order and an easy decision. Then we'll go from there.
Meant to say I AM getting consistent spark with a 0.022 plug gap now, with the improved connection of the plug wire to the lead out tower. Why doesn't the 'Stak have 'Edit' ability of posts? Or does it? I don't see it anywhere.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:40:13 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsy View Post
Why doesn't the 'Stak have 'Edit' ability of posts? Or does it? I don't see it anywhere.
Perhaps you need to be a paid "subscriber" to get that feature, the button shows up in the lower right corner of your posts for a few days.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:10:33 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterBob View Post
Perhaps you need to be a paid "subscriber" to get that feature, the button shows up in the lower right corner of your posts for a few days.
Must be different for subscribers - no edit button on my view. Not used to proof-reading carefully because usually I can edit later!

---------- Post added at 08:10:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06:38 PM ----------

Still chipping away at issues on this engine Bob. Now with the points adjusted and the better spark with a larger gap (after working on the lead out connection), it will run with the choke wide open. But I had also sanded the needle valve nice and smooth at the end. It runs good (little smoke) with the needle valve exactly 1 turn open. I guess the # of turns would depend on the shape of the needle. I should have the Champion long-reach plugs in a couple days and I am hoping for even better combustion/power.