Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs Discussion about magnetos, buzz coils, spark plugs, ignitors and low tension coils.

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs

Assoc. Hired Man Coil Question

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 521 times

Old 10-02-2018, 04:15:01 PM
Registered

Default Assoc. Hired Man Coil Question

My son and I have restored an Associated Hired Man 2-1/4 HP engine. We are close to starting it but I'm having brain fade on hooking up the coil. My Uncle always used Model T Ford coils on his hit and miss engines. He would screw down the nut on the stud so the points stayed closed. I have 3 coils so I would like to use one. My problem is I can't remember how to hook it up. There are 3 wires on the coil and I don't know which wire goes where. One wire obviously goes to the igniter, one to the battery and the other possibly a ground. Can anyone help me.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2018, 04:31:53 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,133 Posts
Default Re: Assoc. Hired Man Coil question

Do not use a model t coil on the ignitor. Find a car air conditioner compressor clutch coil. One wire from- batt. to ground on the engine. + on batt. to one side of compressor coil, other side of coil to brass wire clip on ignitor. Not saying the t coil won't work that way, this is much easier and cheaper.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:26:29 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 4,636 Times in 1,177 Posts

A buzz coil is for a spark plug, you have an igniter. You need a low tension coil. If you don't have one, you can use the primary side of a standard automotive coil and just ground out the high tension side.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:05:04 PM
Subscriber

Flywheel supply have real nice low tension coils for $80.00. I'm going to get one for my 2hp. Domestic soon. They can be mounted in a conspicuous place as they look nice too.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:48:52 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,442 Times in 4,154 Posts
Exclamation Re: Assoc. Hired Man Coil question

On a T coil, if the vibrator is cranked closed, current is not interrupted to the primary. it will power your engine. I believe you need to apply power to the upper connection (One near the points or top of the coil). Wire to the ignitor from the contact at the base (bottom) of same. Battery ground to the engine block. I would ground the lower contact on the side of the coil, so you do not burn out the secondary, in case you want to use the coil later for high tension. If you don't ground the secondary, it probably will burn out the coil. Your problem with a T coil, is that there is a condenser mounted internally. You might not get a spark across the points, as the condenser operates. Your better bet would be to buy a standard ignition coil for a 1960s GM product (66 Chevy Biscayne with a 250 CID 6 cylinder for instance), and use the secondary. Power to the coil, coil to the ignitor, battery negative to the engine block. You can make a battery box and hide the coil and the battery. Several sponsors have low tension coils. if cost is an issue, check the sponsor page and check them out. The one Flywheel Supply has is a nice looking coil. If you have a junk yard near-by, you can try and get an AC compressor coil, but you probably would have to buy the whole compressor!
Old 10-03-2018, 02:34:30 PM
Registered

Thank you all for your quick replies. As I said, I don't remember how my Uncle used the model T coil. It sounds like the best advice is to go away from the Ford coil and try to follow the suggestions you guys gave. I'll let you know how I made out when I get that far.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:54:14 PM
Subscriber

I've found the simplest and cheapest way is to just go thru the primary on an old auto coil. From - batt. to ground, from + batt. to one side of coil and other side of coil to igniter. Ignore the high tension from the coil.