Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion > Unidentified Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Unidentified Engines Post your photos and questions about your unknown engine and look for answers here.

Unidentified Engines

Unknown hit and miss engine

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 774 times

Old 10-15-2018, 11:04:40 AM
Registered

Default Unknown hit and miss engine

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and I joined because I recently picked up a hit and miss engine as apart of a package deal of my main hobby- John Deere garden tractors. I know almost nothing about them and need some help. As far as I can tell, I am missing the piston and rod, ignition system, and maybe the governor if it has one. My first step is asking for you to help me identify what make and model this is. I was told it is a 1.5 hp and based on the markings I would assume it is a International Harvester engine. I would really like to get the parts for this and get it running if it can be done for under $100. I am a college student so funds on a toy like this are not very big. Any help is greatly appreciated with identification, parts suppliers, and any other words of wisdom you may have.

Thanks,
Ryan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	320871   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	320872   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	320873   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	320874  
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2018, 01:49:15 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,442 Times in 4,154 Posts
Default Re: Unknown hit and miss engine

Your engine appears to be an IHC 'M' 11/2 HP engine. Gasoline only carb - mixer. There should be a tag on top of the hopper. The engine should be painted green. it uses a WICO EK magneto, so it looks like it was built after 1923. The mag mounts on the vertical post behind the flywheel with 2 bolts. Without the tag, virtually impossible to date exactly, as that is the only place they put the engine serial number.

NOTE: The M is a throttle governed engine! Nice runners, and a good display engine.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:12:10 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan214 View Post
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and I joined because I recently picked up a hit and miss engine as apart of a package deal of my main hobby- John Deere garden tractors. I know almost nothing about them and need some help. As far as I can tell, I am missing the piston and rod, ignition system, and maybe the governor if it has one. My first step is asking for you to help me identify what make and model this is. I was told it is a 1.5 hp and based on the markings I would assume it is a International Harvester engine. I would really like to get the parts for this and get it running if it can be done for under $100. I am a college student so funds on a toy like this are not very big. Any help is greatly appreciated with identification, parts suppliers, and any other words of wisdom you may have.

Thanks,
Ryan
Ryan, Hit and miss Enterprises has a good supply of new & used parts.[COLOR="Silver"]

[SIZE=1]---------- Post added at 11:05:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01:58 AM ----------[/SIZ

---------- Post added at 11:12:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05:17 AM ----------

Ryan,hit & miss enterprises has a good supply of new and used parts.

Last edited by jbo.aermotor; 10-15-2018 at 02:08:53 PM. Reason: mistakes
Old 10-15-2018, 02:21:05 PM
Registered

Thank you for the information! Unfortunately it appears that I won't be able to fix this up for anywhere near what I want to spend. Now the question is, is what I have worth anything, or is it better off getting sold as a piece of yard art?

Ryan
Old 10-15-2018, 03:36:24 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,043 Times in 442 Posts

I would say judging by the missing parts. $75-100
Old 10-15-2018, 03:43:04 PM
Registered-I

What is the main problem with it - missing mag? Does it turn over and have compression?

You could always rig it up to run on a battery and coil, if funds are tight. It looks pretty complete to me, except for the mag. Some creative bracket making, a micro switch, a trip finger, and a coil and I think you'd be making smoke...

That one looks way too nice for yard art...

Kevin
Old 10-15-2018, 03:52:12 PM
Registered

The main problem is it doesn't have a piston, ignition system, or throttle governor, and maybe a few other missing pieces. From some quick parts searches I would be looking at an estimate of $500 to complete it and get it going. I think this one will be getting sold as it isn't practical for me to fund a project that would get used once or twice a year at shows. If anyone is interested in it shoot me a PM

Ryan