Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles > Maytag Engine Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Maytag Engine Collectibles Maytag engines, washing machines, mowers and other engine driven tools for the farm.

Maytag Engine Collectibles

Maytag 72: Help with First Purchase for Unique Build

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 799 times

Old 10-17-2018, 01:59:40 PM
Registered

Default Maytag 72: Help with First Purchase for Unique Build

Hi folks, I am considering buying a Maytag 72 for a rather unique reason. I’m looking to motorize a John Deere model 60 or 620 pedal tractor for shows similar to what a man named Tom Demers did to the pedal tractor seen here: https://www.farmshow.com/a_article.php?aid=24331

I just couldn’t bear to build a sub-mini JD without using a twin and the Maytag turning at 1650 RPM sounds a lot like a small tractor to my ears. The 5/8 hp output will be plenty through a worm drive gearbox off of a mini tiller. The flywheel sticking out the side of the engine would just scream “old tractor” to my eyes. (If you can’t tell by now, I am not a purist. More of a rat rodder with some finesse.)

Anyways, this thread’s actual focus is what to look for or to look out for in my first purchase of a Maytag engine. I have the skills and tools necessary for such a project but I lack a working knowledge of this particular family of engines as well as the market for them.

Now’s the part where I ask a lot of newbie questions:

How much should I pay for a good running model 72?
Should I buy at tractor/engines shows?
How about eBay? Prices range from $350+ for runners based on condition.
Should I avoid any particular variants of this engine?
Are there any common or not so common issues I should be on the look out for?

Thanks for your time and patience!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2018, 02:39:12 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,447 Times in 4,159 Posts
Exclamation Re: Maytag 72: Help with First Purchase for Unique Build

I would have a look at a local show. EBay is way overpriced for me. Here in NJ, a 72 with Eissmann mag (72-D or DA) would go for 125 to 175 in running order. The WICO version, add $50 +. prices in your area may vary. I didn't catch where you are from, but jacktown show is this weekend. There have been lots of them for sale there, in the price range I noted. Oh, by the way, WELCOME to the Stak!
Andrew
Old 10-17-2018, 08:53:38 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Maytag 72: Help with First Purchase for Unique Build

I agree with Andrew, find a running one, since you already have a huge project on hand. Depending on the layout, there are a few different tank versions which is also the base for these engines. They mount different, not a big deal, but why not find the one which is more suitable for your project.
Ohio should provide you with easy pickins, check local shows or Craigslist.
If everything fails, check with Mark Shulaw in Bluffton/OH. He knows these engines and can provide you with parts.
Attached is a picture I found on the web, it is not mine, but a very nice Tractor setup.
Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	May Trac.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	320988  
Old 10-17-2018, 09:13:29 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,050 Times in 443 Posts

Here in Minnesota you can buy a running twin maytag for $150. Scour craigslist or buy one from someone on this site. DO NOT pay 300+ for one on Ebay!! One thing to keep in mind is the early twins have and Eisemann magneto and the late ones have a Wico. The coils on the Eisemann did not stand up to time. There kryptonite is moisture. They have poor insulation and corrode internally causing weak or no spark. A new coil will cost over $100. But they made 1000 Eisemann twins to every Wico so The Wico twins bring more money.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:57:20 AM
Registered

Thank you all for the thoughtful and informative responses! I was hoping to find a good runner for under $200 and it sounds like I may. If the Wico magneto units only command a $50 premium, that’s still cheaper than changing out a $100 Eismann magneto. So long as price is right the Wico seems like the way to go.

I already tried a pretty thorough search on craigslist and facebook marketplace. Both are no-go’s with non-running/damaged 72’s listed in the $200-250 range. I also saw several asking prices in excess of $500 for what appeared to be glorified parts units.

To clarify my location, I work and live in the Dayton, Ohio area. The next local event I am aware of is the Buckeye Farms Antique Swap Meet: www.buckeyefarmantiques.com/2018-swap-meet.html

Scary thing is I expect to be $1200-$1500 into this project. For that kind of money I could buy a running full size John Deere tractor with an older resto. There’s actually a model LA on Dayton craigslist for $1500 right now... Projects like this one lead me to question my sanity lol.
Old 10-22-2018, 04:49:13 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,447 Times in 4,159 Posts
Exclamation Re: Maytag 72: Help with First Purchase for Unique Build

NOTE: The 72 twins turn at 1200 RPM! Running faster may blow the rods out of them! They are a LOW speed engine, having a solid bronze con rod.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:31:01 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Mackey View Post
NOTE: The 72 twins turn at 1200 RPM! Running faster may blow the rods out of them! They are a LOW speed engine, having a solid bronze con rod.
Thanks for the correction. Not sure where I got that RPM number from off hand... in any case, my apologies for spreading misinformation.
The Following User Says Thank You to DirtyDYT For This Post: