Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles > Maytag Engine Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Maytag Engine Collectibles Maytag engines, washing machines, mowers and other engine driven tools for the farm.

Maytag Engine Collectibles

Maytag 72 D Coil Change

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 638 times

Old 10-18-2018, 03:13:18 PM
Registered

Maytag 72 D coil replacement.

Hi all, as someone new to the Maytag engine I'm wondering about replacing the coil, having checked it out and it's faulty. As far as I know its the Eisemann mag, (flywheel has eight fins) I see somewhere that the Wico mag won't be suitable. Do I have to replace like with like or is there a Briggs and Stratton dual coil that will suit the Maytag 72 D?

Thanking you in Advance. I'm new to the Maytag Engines and more of a Lister and Wolesely engine man, but I do love the Maytag.

Regards, Seamus.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2018, 08:23:26 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Maytag 72 D Coil Change

The Briggs coil has been tried by a few people with poor results (weak spark). Your only option on a new coil is a reproduction but they are almost as expensive as a complete engine. The problem with the eisemann coil is the insulation is poor and absorbs moisture. I have had very good luck carefully separating the secondary windings from the primary and repairing the corroded jumper lead between the two coils. Do a search on this site and there is a few threads showing how to do it.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:43:08 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,088 Times in 515 Posts

Turbo is right! I put a lot of time in experimenting with Briggs coils. I tried it with Briggs twin coils and with two single coils. I had the engines starting and running , but they don't run smooth. They run with a miss. I had two engines that I wanted running right and bought two new coils from Zack Northway (can be found on ebay) For $150 each. Ron
Old 10-19-2018, 01:39:09 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,295 Times in 4,066 Posts
Exclamation Re: Maytag 72 D Coil Change

If you replace the coil, you MUST be sure that the coil is for a 72-D. The DA coil is different, so is the WICO. All 3 engines have a common base design - The mag assembly can be changed on any block. You can change the entire ignition assembly between all 3 models, they all mount the same (flywheel, backing plate and magneto). BUT: you must remain in type. 72-D flywheel will not work on a DA mag and backing plate, and the DA flywheel will not work on the D mag and backing plate. Flywheel IDs and the armature on the mags are different. You cannot mix and match. The WICO is a totally different animal. There are several sponsors here on the stak that sell replacement Magnetoes, but they are pricey. See the Stak sponsors page. You might want to look for a bad engine that has good spark, and switch out the mag assembly (Flywheel, backing plate and mag). Might be cheaper in the long run, and you can sell parts to recoup some of the expense.
Andrew
Old 10-21-2018, 01:37:36 PM
Registered

Thanks for that Andrew, I'm having my coil checked out properly, although I do believe its faulty, I'm looking at a replacement one for around $150, probably have to a new one as Maytags very scarce in Ireland.

Thanks lads, new coil is the only option as the engine is no good without it.

Cheers, Seamus.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:20:49 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,088 Times in 515 Posts

Here is something to try. I was going to do it , but just didn't get around to it. Use the points and wire to a battery and coil outside the engine. If the one coil isn't strong enough to run through both plugs in series , then use two coils , one for each plug. Ron
Old 10-22-2018, 04:39:18 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,295 Times in 4,066 Posts

A battery and coil may work, but the coil will overheat in a hurry, as the maytag points are normally closed. I made several maytag water cooled engines with points and condensers, using a 2 spark coil from a kohler twin. it worked but the coils would heat up after about 20 minutes running.