Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs Discussion about magnetos, buzz coils, spark plugs, ignitors and low tension coils.

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs

Magnet Charger

this thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 1387 times

Old 10-21-2018, 11:04:08 AM
Subscriber

Default Magnet Charger

I just bought an antique magnet charger and need help on operating the charger. First I have a Sumter #12 magneto for a Fairbanks Morse ignitor engine I would like to charge the magnet on. The charger has a knife switch on it and cables to hook to possibly a 12v battery? and marked N & S on the poles. I also have a liquid filled car compass. Where do I go from there? The mag is still on the engine. Thanks, Chuck
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2018, 01:31:43 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,086 Times in 513 Posts
Default Re: Magnet Charger

Instructions for the magnet charger. You need a magnet charger , a compass , A set of soft iron bars shaped to sit on the charger and up , over , and into and touching the magnets in the flywheel with as large an area as you can get (at least the size of the end of the magnet). A compass is a north seeking instrument , it will point to the north pole. KEEP THE COMPASS 2 TO 3 FEET FROM THE MAGNET AND THE CHARGER. Connect your auto battery (6 or 12 volt) to the charger and MARK the charger terminals with a + and a-. Turn on the charger and with the compass determine the North and South pole of the charger and MARK THEM. With everything marked , you will be able to hook them up the same every time. Using the compass determine the north and south of the magnet that is to be charged. MARK THEM. Magnets charge opposite to the charging source. Place the north of the magnet on the south pole of the charger. And the south pole of magnet on the north of the charger. Close the switch for about 5 seconds then open. Do this 4 or 5 times. Ron
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ronald E. McClellan For This Post:
Old 10-23-2018, 07:58:08 PM
Subscriber

I don't quite understand the soft iron bars up, over, into and touching the magnets in the flywheel?
Old 10-23-2018, 09:29:50 PM
Subscriber

This was written to address magnets in a flywheel , like a Maytag. Depending on how your magneto is made you may need soft iron bars to come into contact with the magnets. You need direct solid contact to the magnets. Ron
The Following User Says Thank You to Ronald E. McClellan For This Post:
Old 10-24-2018, 07:43:27 PM
Registered-III

Sometimes when I come across something that does not quite register properly I do a YouTube search, this quite often helps a lot in the understanding the "how to" department.
Old 10-24-2018, 07:57:59 PM
Subscriber

My Mag is Not in the flywheels. It is a Sumter rotary magneto #12 for a 1916 Fairbanks Morse igniter fired 3hp throttle goverened engine. I took the mag off the engine with the gear and base still attached. It seems to me that the mag wants to line up with the magnet charger as N to N and S to S as N on the mag to N on the charger. But was told to put S on the mag to N on the charger, and N on the mag to S on the charger, but it seems to fight it that way so I stopped. I do not have any metal shims. I need more tutering.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:46:37 AM
Subscriber

You can also dangle a magnet on a string over the charger and it will
line up the right way.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:58:13 AM
Subscriber

I have no idea what you are doing! N to N -- S to S will repel Not attract. Check your compass to make sure its polarity hasn't been reversed. Ron
The Following User Says Thank You to Ronald E. McClellan For This Post:
Old 10-25-2018, 08:20:25 PM
Subscriber

A friend gave me on old magnet for a John Deere E 1 1/2 hp to play with. It has a N insignia on one side, so I'm assuming it is North. It seems like a good magnet, it sticks to stuff. I tried it on my magnet charger and the N on the magnet went for the N on the charger. I tried the string test, sure enough, the magnet went for the N. When the magnet latched onto the charger, it wouldn't let go. I had to force the magnet off the charger. I tried holding the N on the magnet to the S on the charger but wouldn't go, so I decided to quit till I figure something out. Also the poles on the charger was heating up. I'm using a 12v battery. Another thing, I'm not sure about my compass indication. Seems like it wants to go wacky.?
Old 10-25-2018, 10:22:52 PM
Registered-II

Magnets can get their polarity changed. Just because it is marked "N" maybe at some point it got recharged wrong.
The Following User Says Thank You to edisondiamond For This Post: