Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines Fairbanks Morse, Lister, Petter, Witte and other pump injected Diesel oil engines.

Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines

GM 3-71 Injectors

this thread has 29 replies and has been viewed 1739 times

Old 11-15-2018, 10:56:27 PM
Registered

Default Re: GM 3-71 Injectors

I ordered a set of HN60 injectors from Leids Diesel today. The gentleman on the phone was very helpful, and knew just what I needed. I'll let you all know when she's up and running. Now for an oil change and fuel system flush.

BTW. This is an amazing forum. The feedback and suggestions have been overwhelming.

Glenn

I was just sitting here thinking about what I would need to get the fuel system back together, and I realized that I didn't ask about installed height when I ordered the injectors. Does anyone know what the installed height would be for a HN60 injector in a 2 valve head, or where I could look?

Also, I noticed that the injectors I removed do not have the little hole in the top of the injector body for the height tool. I guess the procedure must be a little different?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2018, 12:25:37 AM
Subscriber

While the injector is out clean the copper injector tube and seat at the bottom. When you install your HN60s drop them in the head and torque them to 20 to 25 lb-ft No adjustment necessary at this time. After the rockers are installed and torqued the injector height is adjusted with the push rod. 1.1460 timing pin. See if you can find a in-line service manual There a lot of pitfalls if it is not done right the first time. Good luck AL
Old 11-16-2018, 12:30:42 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,725 Times in 700 Posts

1.460" is a common measurement for the GM 71 and 53 engines but not necessarily the correct one for your application. The "T" gauge is just a fixed measuring device. I've used a digital calipers in a pinch when the proper "T" gauge wasn't available.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:40:09 AM
Subscriber

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1724.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	322974 Could be a 1.484 pin, but more likely a 1.460. It will run with both settings. Which ever one makes the engine run better. Cleaner exhaust and power. My collection of timing tools. The large one is for a 6-110. AL
Old 11-30-2018, 11:01:05 PM
Registered

Still working on getting this thing ready to fire. Got all of the sludge out of the pan, the air boxes, and the air cleaner. Got the fuel system cleaned out and all of the filters changed. Hosed down the rockers, rack, and governor with WD40 for a few days, then flooded them with fresh oil. Getting ready to install the injectors tomorrow, and do the valve adjustment, injector adjustment, and rack adjustment. For some reason, Detroit felt that they should include the entire tuneup in the Operator's Manual, so I have all that available to do the step by step. The last time I did a 71 series tuneup, I had the entire head off to seal a leaking water o-ring, so I borrowed a full Service Manual, but looks like my library will be sufficient this time.

I want to haul the engine to my Dad's before I fire it, so he can share in the triumph or tragic failure. It's always exciting to hear an engine run when you acquire it in an unknown condition.
The Following User Says Thank You to glennh For This Post:
Old 12-01-2018, 03:01:02 AM
Subscriber

After your tune up, when you first start it, clamp a vice grip to the control rack. You will have complete control of the engine speed and will be able to shut it down. AL
Old 12-07-2018, 09:34:34 PM
Registered

We have fire! After new injector install, a full tune up, and priming the fuel system, it fired right up. No bearing noises, no heavy smoke, and all three cylinders were firing. Had a hell of a time getting it to shut down though. Could be a lack of understanding of the governor setup. (see new thread) I'm pretty relieved that I didn't invest a bunch of money in a rattly boat anchor. Thanks to everyone for the encouragement and advice.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:55:52 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,725 Times in 700 Posts

Glad to hear you got it running and no major issues showed up. The 3-71 will be a good power match for your sawmill project. Is the pto rotation correct for the mill? The Belsaw mill is set up tractor pto rotation which is opposite of normal clockwise engine rotation.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:56:52 PM
Registered

I would strongly suggest now that you know you have a good running engine that you get the blower shaft bearings inspected and seals replaced. Leaking blower shaft seals will internally leak engine oil into the engine when operating and cause a runaway..very common on older Detroits that have been sitting.Do it now before you get it all built up and installed on the sawmill and have a runaway failure.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:13:28 PM
Registered

We are in the process of adapting the engine to the mill now. It is a CW engine, so we will be reducing and reversing the rotation with a pickup axle. I built the hub today to adapt the pto shaft to the pinion of the axle. I have the spider gears welded, and Dad is going to prune off the unecessary axle tube. The next step is to build an adapter to bolt a yoke to the end of the axle.

Controls and gauges will be next, and yes, I will get the blower resealed before we run it. I'm searching now for a thermostat that appears to be obsolete. The original one was opening at 140 degrees, and it's stamped 180. It's a funny looking thing with a row of holes around the out side to allow circulation through the bypass tube.