Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines Fairbanks Morse, Lister, Petter, Witte and other pump injected Diesel oil engines.

Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines

Belos 371? gravely clone with a diesel ILO 365 engine.

this thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 959 times

Old 11-19-2018, 01:46:30 AM
Registered

Default Belos 371? gravely clone with a diesel ILO 365 engine.

Hi there,
I've recently acquired what was advertised as a Diesel Gravely.
https://www.smokstak.com/forum/attac...1&d=1542604824
Further research has it as a Belos (possibly model 371), seems they used gravely transmissions and attachments and put mostly petrol ILO engines on them.

This one has a 7 hp ILO DL 365 engine.
This is a crank scavenged two stroke diesel. Seems to start readily and run well. So far starting all 6 or 8 times on the first pull! Also, so far no, sign of manuals etc on the net. As it's two stroke with a metering lube oil pump, I'm wondering what oil I should be using for the engine and in the injection pump/governor part of the engine. I've seen 15W40 and 20W20 engine oil suggested. As it will ultimately burn the oil, I'm thinking a straight "single grade" oil with minimal additives might be better. Not sure when it was designed so hard to guess what the manufacturer "ILO" might have had available and intended.
Anyone have any information on this model engine? Probably these were much more common in Europe than America.
Belos was unheard of here in New Zealand, and I've only seen two other ILO engines. Petrol two stroke, fitted to WarrenJet outboards, and I have both of them!

Cheers
Darryl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Belos LH side.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	229.4 KB
ID:	323146   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT1443.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	243.8 KB
ID:	323147   Click image for larger version

Name:	888971384.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	323148  
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to L Darryl Ovens For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2018, 02:07:12 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Belos 371? gravely clone with a diesel ILO 365 engine.

Years ago some of the snowmobiles used to use JLO engines.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:49:10 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,284 Times in 4,059 Posts
Exclamation Re: Belos 371? gravely clone with a diesel ILO 365 engine.

I would use a diesel rated oil. It has the high pressure lubricants needed to protect bearings from the stresses of diesel operation. As to the grade of oil ??? being a 2 stroke, I would think a straight 30 weight be best. Less additives to screw up the engine. Only a shop or owners manual will tell you for sure.

There is more on the interner on ILO.: Wikipedia - ILO Moternwerke ILO was in operation from 1911 to 1980. it was the largest maker of 2 stroke engines in Germany. there is another thread here on the stak about ILO engines. posted by Junkologist, 9/2/18 in the oil and diesel forum. More info there too. he has an engine just like yours. maybe he can give info to you about oiling etc.
Andrew
Old 11-19-2018, 05:07:44 PM
Registered

Thanks for your comments, yes I would agree re the additives, at least for those that would not have been available at the time it was designed. I guess "Diesel rated" means additives as well, so I would guess an early version of "Diesel rated" would be preferable.
Both my father and I had thought it was "JLO" for the last 40 years! Turns out the "J" is a stylised German capital "i". Someone even said it was pronounced "ilow". I've since seen it on a ILO name plate as ILO.
https://www.smokstak.com/forum/attac...1&d=1542661612
Cheers
Darryl
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ilo.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	323164  
Old 11-19-2018, 05:29:48 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,284 Times in 4,059 Posts

Look in the Stak archives for the posting by Junkologist about the ILO diesel.
Andrew
Old 11-19-2018, 08:17:22 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,773 Times in 1,687 Posts

Never imagined there were Gravely clones with ILO diesels on them! Very cool piece!

Here’s the thread I started about my ILO diesel.

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=180137

Check out my engine videos at https://m.youtube.com/user/Cletrac
SmokStak member #146
Old 11-20-2018, 12:29:08 AM
Registered-I

I think something like AeroShell piston aircraft engine oil as it is ashless. It was used in Frazer Rototillers, they were also 2 cycle but gasoline engines. You do not need diesel rated oils because there is no accumulation of carbon, acids and other contaminants as the oil is a once and done situation.
Old 11-22-2018, 04:23:55 AM
Registered

Thanks for the link to your thread on ILO engine.
I have found that my ILO starts quite readily without the need for a starting cigarette/wick (what have you) in summer at least, (much like engines with electric cold start heaters will often start without preheating in summer). Curiously I was given a tin of them (with about 30 remaining), a year or more ago, and thinking I would never have application for them I passed them on to someone who might, turned out he put them on the shelf and forgot about them, so was able to return them to me, these are 7mm DIA and seem to fit quite snugly. However mine is a slightly smaller engine than yours. The "T-handle plug" looks the same in the photos.
BTW I discovered this engine is impossible to pull over compression but if you turn it to the top of a compression and start pulling the strap from there it is quite easy.
And a flat strap works much better than a rope, same (ie use a strap), applies to the Model "L" Gravely engines too.
https://www.smokstak.com/forum/attac...1&d=1542873512
A google translation of the German on the side of the tin is;

Instructions
"Moment" Insert the igniter into the ignition key so that the blue end protrudes into the combustion chamber. As usual spin without compression and then start the engine with full compression.

I'm guessing "Moment" is the brand name of the starting cigarette/wicks and they mean spin the engine up with compression released ie valve open and then give it compression (allow the valve to close) as you normally do when hand cranking a four stroke diesel. The "ignition key" would be the "T-handle Plug".

They say nothing about lighting it so I wonder if the diesel compression would light it.

Cheers
Darryl
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Diesel Zunder Tin open.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	323356  
Old 11-22-2018, 04:29:14 AM
Registered

I forgot to mention mine has a little knob on the injection pump, parallel to the delivery valve and injection pipe that when pulled allows the fuel rack to open further to excess fuel which helps somewhat with cold starting on most diesels.
Old 11-22-2018, 07:13:57 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,773 Times in 1,687 Posts

I think mine has the same little knob on the injection pump. It is actuated by a small lever. I had no idea what it was for.
I have since made a proper starting strap for my engine. You’re absolutely right about not being able to pull it through compression without a “running start”!
I like the tin of starting wicks. It’s nice to have that with the engine. Mine always starts in warm weather, so I have not tried the wicks as a starting aid.
As for oil, I just use straight 30 wt non-detergent oil. I figure it doesn’t need anything real fancy since it goes right through the engine. I don’t run it much and it’s not doing any real work either.

Check out my engine videos at https://m.youtube.com/user/Cletrac
SmokStak member #146
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Junkologist For This Post: