Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs Discussion about magnetos, buzz coils, spark plugs, ignitors and low tension coils.

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs

Ronaldson and Tippett Type N Magneto Coupling and Timing

this thread has 41 replies and has been viewed 1252 times

Old 11-25-2018, 10:36:16 PM
Registered

Default Ronaldson and Tippett Type N Magneto Coupling and Timing

Hi Guys,
I have a Ronaldson and Tippett Type N engine.
It's the one with 6 bolts on the head so what is that a 2HP?
Click image for larger version

Name:	RonalldsonAndTippett.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	323502
It didn't have a Magneto when I bought it but I have since sourced one that has already been reconditioned. It looks like the guy who did it knew what he was doing. It is a Lucas SR1 and from what I have read they were popular for this engine.

Question 1.
I haven't seen any examples of how the coupling on the Magneto connects to the coupling on the engine drive. Can anyone describe how this is supposed to work? The coupler on the Magneto is from an unknown engine.

Name:	RT-DriveCoupling.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	323503

Name:	Lucas-Driven-Coupling.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	323504

I can see I will have to shim the magneto a bit as it is lower than the drive coupling.

Question 2.
Next I'm going to need to figure out the timing. I have some instructions from the R&T user manual that talks about timing marks on the flywheel but I can't see much of anything on the flywheel. It also talks about a mark on the engine block but I can't find that either.

This is the closest thing I can find to a mark on the flywheel.

Name:	TimingMark.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	323506

I know a old trick of putting a screwdriver in the spark plug hole and turn the flywheel and you can feel the piston go up and down. Judging from the position of the crankshaft the spark plug isn't inline with the piston so that little test didn't help. I could feel one of the valves opening and closing .

The book also talks about a second mark on the flywheel labeld "Spark"
No sign of that either.

Engine itself is surprisingly free. It spins easy and has enough compression to make turning the flywheel by hand difficult. I need to make a crank handle and then I'll put a compression tested on it. I don't plan on disassembling it any further than required. I don't feel need to break bits on it for no particular purpose.

Any ideas or suggestions greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2018, 02:16:55 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,812 Times in 974 Posts
Default Re: Ronaldson and Tippett Type N Magneto Coupling and Timing

Hello
It's got the wrong drive on it. The drive for the magneto side has a male tag on it that fits in the female bits on the engine.
There's one on ebay or a lot of people here may have one. The one on ebay is pretty dear I reckon.

Did you look at both flywheels for timing marks? There should be a kinda vertical mark on the block at 12 o'clock to the crank.

Cheers Scott

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ronaldso...oAAOSwQqZb99Cd
Old 11-26-2018, 06:39:30 PM
Registered

Hi Scott,
I guessed that the drive I have was off some other engine.
Maybe I can sell that on ebay, ha ha!

I might have a go at making one. I have a lathe and a mill.
The only hard bit will be the hole in the centre. From the instructions I have read the shaft on the magneto is tapered so it may be a bit of a fiddle to make a tiny boring bar and figure out the angle.

My engine only has one flywheel. The other side has a smaller pulley with a bit of a curve to it so I figure that was for a flat belt drive.

I can't see any marks on the block, I scraped off the dirt and paint.
I'll have a closer look at the flywheel and polish off the rust.
I'll try not to polish off any remnants of the marks. Maybe if I remove the cover on the end and watch the crank going around I will be able to tell roughly where on the flywheel to look.

Looking at my flywheel like the face of a clock and if I manage to locate top dead centre and put it in the 12 O'clock position roughly where would I expect to find the "Spark" mark?

Thanks
David
Old 11-27-2018, 01:55:51 AM
Registered-III

Sounds also like the magneto is a short one in height. They made 2 different heights, just for fun, and you have a short one. building it up to the correct height will work and making the coupling will be fun. You will be able to measure the taper once you have the old coupling off the magneto.
I had a problem finding the timing marks on our farm pumper and finally under all the layers of paint it turned up. Your plan to open the crankcase cover and get an idea of TDC is a good one then looking carefully with a good torch for anything that lines up. Once your coupling is done your back to finding TDC on compression stroke and your away.
Good luck with it and keep us informed.
Old 11-27-2018, 02:18:21 AM
Registered

Hi Cobbadog,
The guy that sold me the Magneto also included a spacer that is about 1/4" in thickness (I didn't measure it). It looks like it has two groups of 4 counter sunk holes to suit more than one engine so the magneto can be mounted forwards or backwards. I hope one set of holes will match what I need. It looks like I'll need another 1-2 mm in height or something like that, so I'll have to make up a few sheet metal spacers to raise the Magneto a little. Maybe I'll have to buy some brass shim material depending on how accurate I need to be.

I don't know how I'm going to figure out where the SPARK mark should be if I can't find it.

The manual is quite detailed where it describes how to set the timing using the timing marks but it doesn't mention to make sure you use the compression stroke instead of the exhaust stroke. I know that is obvious but they have been extremely wordy yet left that fact out.

I'll certainly post my progress here.
Thanks for your interest.
David
Old 11-27-2018, 10:44:41 PM
Registered-III

It took me a while to find the timing mark on a british seagull once and the bloody thing is huge.
Old 12-01-2018, 11:26:15 PM
Registered

This is a photo of the drive coupler from eBay. No I didnít buy it I plan on making one.
Does anyone know why there is only one drive lug instead of two?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5D1236E7-43CB-4439-AB88-A430AB0E8DED.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	323807  
Old 12-03-2018, 01:22:12 AM
Registered-III

Single drive lug is for timing issues. Only fits on one way like an old Ford 4 cylinder distributor though it has an offset drive lug from memory.
So it is important that when you fit it, it goes on at the right location. My Lucas SR1 can have the drive gear moved off the taper and it does not have a key way to locate it so I had to time the gear with the magneto first then the engine. Once all good I made sure the nut was tight so that it would not slip off the taper.
Old 12-03-2018, 01:46:01 AM
Registered

Hi Cobadog,
I understand what you are saying but the drive coupler on the engine has two slots at 180 degrees so even with one lug it could still go either way.

I think I'll include two lugs and make sure I mark which way around it goes.
Less chance to wear one down or shear one off not that I'm expecting much load, the Magneto turns well and I can feel the little notchy magnets inside.

My Lucas SR1 shaft has a keyway in it but I think I'll do it the way you described as that is how it was originally.

It' will be a week or two before I get back into my shed but I'll post my progress. It's nice to have some mates who know what I'm talking about
Thanks
David
Old 01-11-2019, 01:45:40 AM
Registered

Hi Guys,
I just thought I'd post an update.

I managed to make myself a new old crank handle.
It came out OK considering I used an old fencing bolt, a piece of a gate hinge and a bit of what I can only assume was a brass towel rail

Name:	CrankHandle.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	326130

I also made the little drive coupler thing. I made up the dimensions from the look of the pic from ebay and the distances between the parts that needed to drive each other. This seems like it is going to work. I'm going to need to raise the magneto up by about .015" I reckon. i'm waiting on the delivery of some shim material as I don't have anything. They also don't make coke cans as thick as they use to. I think they are like .002-.003" these days.

Name:	DriveCoupler.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	326129

David
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pollardd For This Post: