Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines Fairbanks Morse, Lister, Petter, Witte and other pump injected Diesel oil engines.

Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines

Busch Model A Diesel -1900-1912

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 673 times

Old 01-12-2019, 09:33:14 AM
Registered-I

Default Busch Model A Diesel -1900-1912

Working on a story called “Crazy Combustion” in which some of the more unusual diesel combustion/injection systems are viewed. I had a fair bit of info on the Busch diesel dynasty, first Diesel Motor Company of America (1897-1902), American Diesel engine Company (1902-1911), and Busch-Sultzer 1911-1947. I thought to include their first production engine, the American Model A which was the first commercially produced diesel in the U.S. I had been under the impression it used compressed air for fuel injection/atomization but all the descriptions I have are so vague that my head is spinning trying to figure it out. I am simply incapable of describing it at this point. Anybody have anything on the Busch Model A diesel that might help me figure it out? They built and sold that engine from about 1900 into 1912, mostly under the American Diesel Engine Company.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sooty Jim For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2019, 11:55:34 AM
Registered-I

Default Re: Busch Model A Diesel -1900-1912

Out of curiosity, I looked up the patent for the Busch-Sultzer fuel system.
It's far from vague. Very detailed.
Now my head is spinning, too.
I think that this system crams compressed air (and thus more oxygen) into the fuel/air mix before compression, like a blower or turbo would do on a modern engine.
Here's the link:
https://patents.google.com/patent/US1166938A/en
Old 01-12-2019, 01:03:56 PM
Registered-I

Thanks but there is a difference between a "Busch" and a "Busch-Sultzer. There were Busch Type A and Type B, which were different from each other and built in NJ under the American Diesel nameplate, and then the Busch-Sultzer badged engines which were different again and built in St Louis. The Busch Type B had a crankshaft driven compressor, which some confused as an additional cylinder. I'm sure there are similarities but I need to nail it down more.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:43:28 PM
Registered-I

Well, I guess this is to obscure for the brain trust here. The prototype to the Type A does have a compressed air injection system and has a separate compressor for each cylinder, driven by, and timed to the main piston, but I don't see that in the Type A few views I have. Still digging!
Old 01-13-2019, 03:55:11 PM
Subscriber

Put it this way I'd be very surprised if the Type A was not air injection, that is the way it was back then mainstream mechanical injection coming along after that period.

The standard for this was an Air Compressor and Tank Storage, injection pressures needed to be above cylinder pressures so we are talking 600psi and up. You are describing for the prototype a compressor on each cylinder feeding direct, hard to imagine it effectively getting adequate pressure. Compressors were multiple stage. I am wondering if this prototype set up was essentially a multiple stage set up for compression still feeding an air tank, it would still need to be timed being multiple stage.

I am also wondering if after the prototype they decided to go with a single crank driven compressor of multiple stages.

Have you a copy of the 'The History of Fuel Injection'? Most informative can be downloaded from disa.it.

Cheers
Nobby
The Following User Says Thank You to Nobby For This Post:
Old 01-13-2019, 04:05:04 PM
Registered-I

Good tip! I haven't looked in the fuel injection book yet... I have it. Didn't think of it. If am going to publish something, it has to be correct so I can't guess about it. If I don't turn something up in the near future, I'll just move onto another engine. I just like this one because it was the first American made diesel on sale in the USA. As early as 1902.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:12:59 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 4,574 Times in 1,153 Posts

I am pretty sure that the type A would have air injection. Have you checked Lyle Cummins book, "Diesel's Engine"?
Old 01-13-2019, 11:00:05 PM
Registered-I

Bill Hazzard is right. The Busch "A" engine is well covered in "Diesel's Engine" by Lyle Cummins. It was an air injection engine with an air compressor that was not part of the engine. Start reading at page 309. I find it fascinating that this engine had the inlet valve directly above the exhaust valve in a chamber to one side of the cylinder.
Hugh
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oil Power For This Post:
Old 01-13-2019, 11:44:14 PM
Registered-II

You have probably seen the bit on the type a in Lacy Morrison's "American Diesel Engines" (pages 25-26) discussing the creation of "Diesel Motor Company of America" by Busch and the successful Type A which was built until 1912 and sold by "American Diesel Engine Company" , formed by Busch. A very interesting chapter on air injection but I saw no details on the Busch application (I may have overlooked it). Are you going to include the solid fuel burning, compression ignition, Rupamotor developed by Rudolph Pawlikowski ? It is said to burn coal, lignite, peat, coke, potato peelings, sawdust, leaves, wood residues, pine needles, hay, corn and cereal stalks, soybeans, fruit peelings, cotton hulls, rice hulls, palm seeds, residues of peanuts, olives, palm and coconuts. It was air blast injection and was started on oil.
The Following User Says Thank You to enginenut2 For This Post:
Old 01-14-2019, 09:16:36 AM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by enginenut2 View Post
You have probably seen the bit on the type a in Lacy Morrison's "American Diesel Engines" (pages 25-26) discussing the creation of "Diesel Motor Company of America" by Busch and the successful Type A which was built until 1912 and sold by "American Diesel Engine Company" , formed by Busch. A very interesting chapter on air injection but I saw no details on the Busch application (I may have overlooked it). Are you going to include the solid fuel burning, compression ignition, Rupamotor developed by Rudolph Pawlikowski ? It is said to burn coal, lignite, peat, coke, potato peelings, sawdust, leaves, wood residues, pine needles, hay, corn and cereal stalks, soybeans, fruit peelings, cotton hulls, rice hulls, palm seeds, residues of peanuts, olives, palm and coconuts. It was air blast injection and was started on oil.
Yes, I have that one but most of the material I have is from the May, 1948 Diesel Progress special edition "50 Years of Progress" which is a very extensive history of diesel engines to that point. Some sections are very detailed but overall it's a very difficult book to follow because instead of covering by manufacturer, it's chronological so it will cover different makes separately in different eras. One second they are talking about Cleveland engines, then Hercules and suddenly it's Enterprise and not always are they clearly delineated. They show drawings of some of the Busch prototypes (actually Firth and McPherson's prototype, hired by Busch) without much explanation and right next to production Type A stuff.

Sounds like I need Lyle's book. I've been looking for a reasonably priced copy but that's not going to happen in the 10 days I have to wrap this story up. Hugh said he would copy the relevant pages, for which I am very grateful.

Rupamotor is a new one to me but I'll save that for another time.