Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Great hobby with great people

this thread has 19 replies and has been viewed 3343 times

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 11:51:02 AM
Subscriber

Default Great hobby with great people

That is how an email I received started. The person I got it from posted an inquiry on this forum to get help identifying an engine he had a chance to buy. It was an Hercules and it was missing the mixer. I replyed that I had a mixer and if he bought the engine he could have the mixer if he paid the postage. Generous of me, but I collect only Ottawa engines and the mixer served no purpose to me. It came on a ottawa engine and I didnt plan to use it. I have given lots of stuff to people who need it just because this is a great hobby with great people. I sent the item to him November 20th, Emailed him at least five times since and he wont even awknowledge my contact. I guess if I would have charged him for it and waited till I got the money then he would have contacted me. Just a little thing but shows that there are those that will take advantage if given the opportunity.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2005, 12:07:02 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Great hobby with great people

I have given away a fair amount of stuff. Some I hear from some I don't. Reminds me of an old ethnic saying. "If you want to do someone a favor sell them something cheap. If they buy it at a low cost they figure they got a good deal. If they get it free they figure it's worth what they paid." The more you think about it the truer it sounds. What happens to most of the cars that parents give their kids? What happens to the ones they work to buy?

keithw
Old 12-27-2005, 12:36:11 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,294 Times in 307 Posts

Kind of makes you feel like when you answer a question on this board and then never acknowledged by the person who first asked the question, no thanks or anything a simple "thanks" goes a long way in my book. 99% of the time this doesn't happen (no response that is) and it makes you feel good about helping others, but there is one person who has a habit of asking lots of questions and never saying if your answers worked or anything at all. Good post.

My website

Last edited by Jim Sherman; 12-27-2005 at 12:46:50 PM.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:44:51 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,743 Times in 855 Posts

Which goes to show that COMMON courtesy really isn't.
~M~
Old 12-27-2005, 12:58:44 PM
Card Sponsor

It's too bad that there is always a few bad eggs in the bunch. I had a chance to deal with Dan Baalman a year ago on some Dempster parts. You won't find a nicer guy to deal with, and your help is not forgotten.Dan, maybe we'll see you in Rollag In 06 ??. thanks a bunch, and Happy New Year.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:52:59 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,017 Times in 1,565 Posts

Then there are the guys that you seem to be getting along just fine and they turn out otherwise. Was dealing with a guy - sold him some parts, traded some parts and all was well. Sent him some engine manual reprints he asked for figuring he would be good for it but never received payment. Several e-mails have been ignored, so he's now on my very short list of people I won't deal with again. On the other hand, I have a very long list of good people that I am glad to have either met or made some acquaintence with more than makes up for it! Without the help of some of these folks I'd never have gotten as far as I have. To all of them - a sincere Thank You!

I Can Probably Fix That
Old 12-27-2005, 02:30:58 PM
In Memory Of Helen

Dan,

May I be a member of your Fan Club?

Dan is a nice, very generous person!

And we do know how you feel!

I really love the people who won't give a last name or an address until you are going to send something snail mail.

Fortunately, most people will acknowledge and thank you.

Early Happy New Year to all of you!

Helen
Old 12-27-2005, 08:34:19 PM
Registered-II

Well On the other hand I have been very fortunate. I have given parts away or manuals several times. I did'nt expect anything back, I gave it away. A thank you would be a nice thing to recieve and I have always recieved a thank you. In fact every single time that I told someone that I was just going to send them something and not to worry about sending me any money, they always offered to pay for whatever and send something. My standard answer has usually been no, If you get the chance to help someone else then that is payment enough. I actually have been blessed in these type of dealings. One time I recieved a gift card from Applebees resturant with a note saying you and yours have a dinner on me. That was nice. A few times I have recieved a note with a $20.00 bill inside saying thanks. And everytime I have recieved at least a thank you, and in the note a statement of "If I can ever help you with anything, just let me know" so I have absolutly no complaints, and I do believe that the people on here, and the one's I have had dealings with are GREAT.
thanks
Chuck
Old 12-27-2005, 09:03:47 PM
Registered-III

While I understand what your saying I guess I am different that way. I think a thank you is nice but I don't really expect one. Giving something for nothing often gets nothing in return. Doing business with someone and that person doesn't produce on his behalf is a different thing though. Like when I saved up 10,000 dallors over 7 years to get my 1972 Dodge Ralleye Charger restored. Had to give 2500.00 up front. It paid for supplies and sandblasting. He did some work then needed more money. This went on for 4 years, while he did very little work then eventually my car was in storage for some reason. Then I finally found my car. Then he left the state.In the end he ripped off a total of 50,000 dallors in this area. 10,000 and a 1998 Artic Cat ZR from me.Police don't do nothing.They can't because we all brought our cars to a place of business at our own risk.Can't take him to court because nobody knows where he is.If he filed bankrupt then we can't do nothing to him anyway.The car was my brothers that passed away, mean't everything to me, can't afford to stick another 10,000 in it.Anyway, as long as everyone else is complaining thought I would to.Thank You. Dan Sheldon
Old 12-27-2005, 09:20:39 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,822 Times in 1,085 Posts

Guess some replies have been heat warming and some have been horror stories, I, too have been bitten by someone's sobbing or not doing what they were paid for. It's sad that someone takes advantage of someone's generosity without so much as a heartfelt response. What is more dishartning is for someone to poor mouth to you about how badly they need something, and you fall for it, feel sorry for them and decide to help someone only to find out, they turned right around and sold what you gave them. The United States of America is a generous country, and sometimes we are taken advantage of. I continue to hope that most of the generosity we give finds its way to appreciative hands
Closed Thread