Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Live Auctions of Engines, Tractors and Old Iron
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Live Auctions of Engines, Tractors and Old Iron Live auctions and estate sales of engines, tractors, and old iron machinery. Upcoming auctions and auction results.

Live Auctions of Engines, Tractors and Old Iron

Warren Helms auction


this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 3215 times

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-15-2007, 01:09:50 AM
LAKnox LAKnox is offline
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chandler, Arizona USA
Posts: 742
Thanks: 52
Thanked 260 Times in 172 Posts
Default Warren Helms auction

For those of you who know about this auction, my dad was at Warren's today and spoke with Warren and someone from Polk Auctions. They already have absentee bids on Warren's Waterloo Boy and 10-20 IH Titan, both from the UK. I'm hoping that any Stakers who are planning on bidding, or know someone who is, will step up and help keep these pieces in the U.S. The UK does not allow many of their historical pieces to leave their country; we should do the same. Here's the URL to the auction catalog: http://www.dennispolk.com/media/pdf_...elms%2007a.pdf.

Lyle Knox
Chandler AZ
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 02-15-2007, 03:11:25 PM
Lawrence Woolf Lawrence Woolf is offline
Registered-II
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ballymena, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Posts: 126
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Warren Helms auction

Sorry Lyle but you are incorrect. The UK has no restrictions of the sale / export of vintage vehicles. I know of several tractors that have been sold from the UK to the US. Perhaps you are getting mixed up with Australia

Regards
Lawrence
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-15-2007, 04:55:39 PM
Craig A's Avatar
Craig A Craig A is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 15,375
Thanks: 16,316
Thanked 20,317 Times in 5,910 Posts
Images: 18
Default Re: Warren Helms auction

And even Australia's criteria is "does the piece have historical significance" as a caveat.
In other words, if a US tractor for example was imported to AU say, 20 years ago, it would be eligible for export as it wouldn't fall under the "historical" factor.
A piece which was purchased, let's say, in 1931 would, most likely, have historical significance and be restricted from export.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-16-2007, 12:22:28 AM
LAKnox LAKnox is offline
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chandler, Arizona USA
Posts: 742
Thanks: 52
Thanked 260 Times in 172 Posts
Default Re: Warren Helms auction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence Woolf View Post
Sorry Lyle but you are incorrect. The UK has no restrictions of the sale / export of vintage vehicles. I know of several tractors that have been sold from the UK to the US. Perhaps you are getting mixed up with Australia

Regards
Lawrence
I've been told several times that there is an Antiquities Board in the UK that reviews exports of historical machinery and that a number of U.S. buyers have been caught-up over the years when they've bought and paid for a piece, then find they can't export it. I work with an English ex-pat and she knows of the Antiquities Board. If I'm mistaken, then I've been given wrong information...more than once.

Lyle
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-16-2007, 01:09:00 AM
George B. George B. is offline
Registered-III
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Mesa, Arizona USA
Posts: 28
Thanks: 12
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Warren Helms auction

Lyle i talked to Warren the other day also. See ya there , just bring MONEY
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-16-2007, 02:16:39 PM
Lawrence Woolf Lawrence Woolf is offline
Registered-II
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ballymena, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Posts: 126
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Warren Helms auction

Lyle

I have never heard of such a board for tractors etc. There is a Board that rules on items over 300 years old, like old marble stones or paintings.

Regards
Lawrence
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-19-2007, 09:32:02 PM
LAKnox LAKnox is offline
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chandler, Arizona USA
Posts: 742
Thanks: 52
Thanked 260 Times in 172 Posts
Default Re: Warren Helms auction

Quote:
Originally Posted by George B. View Post
Lyle i talked to Warren the other day also. See ya there , just bring MONEY
Good seeing you there, George. I bought a plow; what did you buy? :-)

Lyle
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-19-2007, 09:33:08 PM
LAKnox LAKnox is offline
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chandler, Arizona USA
Posts: 742
Thanks: 52
Thanked 260 Times in 172 Posts
Default Re: Warren Helms auction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence Woolf View Post
Lyle

I have never heard of such a board for tractors etc. There is a Board that rules on items over 300 years old, like old marble stones or paintings.

Regards
Lawrence
I dunno, Lawrence; just what others have told me. Since I can't even think about importing something like this it's a moot point. :-)

Lyle
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-19-2007, 11:58:15 PM
LAKnox LAKnox is offline
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chandler, Arizona USA
Posts: 742
Thanks: 52
Thanked 260 Times in 172 Posts
Default Re: Warren Helms auction

Just FYI, the Waterloo Boy was a bit disappointing, going for $67,000 as was the 10-20 Titan, which brought $14,000. A short-radiator JD Model G, unrestored but mechanically excellent brought $11,000. One JD A that was virtually new (never sold by the dealer and sat there for 28 years) brought $14,000. Good news was that the Waterloo Boy is staying in AZ, as were several other pieces. An early JD B on steel and one other tractor are going to Scotland. I was only able to stick around for about 3 hours, so didn't see a whole lot. I did make the mistake of waving "hi" to my dad during the bidding for the Waterloo and damn near bought it! That would have been =real= interesting, since my wife was standing next to me. :-) I ended up with one piece. Not sure of exact model, but I believe it's a McCormick No. 39 2-bottom tumble plow. A bit much for my '36 JD A, but it's a play-toy, not a work implement. Will go well with the old Killefer single-shank ripper that we also have. Overall, prices were pretty fair on both sides and I don't think Warren was too disappointed.

Lyle
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-20-2007, 01:01:21 AM
George B. George B. is offline
Registered-III
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Mesa, Arizona USA
Posts: 28
Thanks: 12
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Warren Helms auction

Hey Lyle thats funny i was right up close looking at the two JD model D's and i pointed out the water valve to my cousin and bam i was in the auction. lol good thing i was in early as i just shook my ahead when the bid went up. better not do that next month in Dome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by laknox View Post
Just FYI, the Waterloo Boy was a bit disappointing, going for $67,000 as was the 10-20 Titan, which brought $14,000. A short-radiator JD Model G, unrestored but mechanically excellent brought $11,000. One JD A that was virtually new (never sold by the dealer and sat there for 28 years) brought $14,000. Good news was that the Waterloo Boy is staying in AZ, as were several other pieces. An early JD B on steel and one other tractor are going to Scotland. I was only able to stick around for about 3 hours, so didn't see a whole lot. I did make the mistake of waving "hi" to my dad during the bidding for the Waterloo and damn near bought it! That would have been =real= interesting, since my wife was standing next to me. :-) I ended up with one piece. Not sure of exact model, but I believe it's a McCormick No. 39 2-bottom tumble plow. A bit much for my '36 JD A, but it's a play-toy, not a work implement. Will go well with the old Killefer single-shank ripper that we also have. Overall, prices were pretty fair on both sides and I don't think Warren was too disappointed.

Lyle
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

F o r u m Jump

Similar Threads Chosen at Random
Thread Thread Starter F o r u m Replies Last Post
Warren Bellinger's 1st Annual Plow Day (I hope) Dale A Noel Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats 28 01-16-2015 06:49:33 PM
WD-40 IH at J.B. Warren Sale Eric Best Antique Farm Tractors 0 09-23-2005 09:35:45 PM
Auction co. dan cerro Antique Engine Archives 1 10-06-2004 09:50:11 PM
$5 Auction Bid Andrew Albrecht Antique Engine Archives 3 12-21-2003 10:03:55 AM


Use "Ctrl" mouse wheel to change screen size.
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:58:45 AM.

Smokstak and Enginads site search!


All use is subject to our TERMS OF SERVICE
SMOKSTAK® is a Registered Trade Mark - A Community of Antique Engine Enthusiasts
Copyright © 2000 - 2016 by Harry Matthews P.O. Box 5612 - Sarasota, FL 34277