Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles > Maytag Engine Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Maytag Engine Collectibles Maytag engines, washing machines, mowers and other engine driven tools for the farm.

Maytag Engine Collectibles

Maytag Oil Mix

this thread has 43 replies and has been viewed 62034 times

Old 11-03-2012, 11:07:32 AM
Registered

Default Re: Maytag Oil Mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by N6223U View Post
I have a bucket of original Maytag Multi-Motor oil. It is about a 3 1/2 gallon metal bucket STILL SEALED and has the Maytag printing on the bucket. The other side has a paper label explaining the use of oil/fuel mix in the Maytag Multi-Motor. The paper label is not in very good shape and has some pieces missing but is still for the most part readable. The white printing on the black metal bucket is in fair shape, has the old stylised Maytag name and explanation that this is a special blend for Maytag engins. If interested I can take some photos.

Anyone interested? What is it worth?

I have had this sitting around here for over 50 years. I don't know how I would go about shipping it. Will UPS take it?

You can contact me at david.fischer@q.com
Here is a photo of the oil.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0069.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	148499  
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2014, 07:29:58 PM
Registered

I don't think any small air cooled 2-cycle, or 4-cycle engine (for that matter) should use the modern unleaded gas that has Ethanol in it, in any quantity. It is simple enough to find "Pure" gas. I have a station locally, just a few blocks away that has a sticker on their pump that says their Premium is Ethanol-free. That is what I use in all small engines. The small simple engines don't care if you use regular or premium, just no Ethanol.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:04:31 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,440 Times in 4,152 Posts

In most small 2 stroke engines, premium is recommended for several reasons: 1) most premium is ethanol free. 2)if it has ethanol, the content is minimal and closely monitored. E-10 crap gas has up to 27% ethanol from the pump! The government is NOT monitoring the alky content. If you use a name brand gas, chances are you will get better milage, due to the fact that the fuel is not 'watered down with excess ethanol dilution. 3) high test will not break down or deteriorate nearly as fast as 'regular'. Wether gas has lead in it or not is not an issue with most maytag engines. Remember - tetryl-Ethyl lead was not used in auto fuel until after WW11. It was used in military aviation gas as early as 1937, but was not for sale to the public.
As for the maytag oil, oil from 50 years ago may have degraded to the point that it will not lube an engine reliably. A sealed 1 quart can I purchased years ago, had a distinct varnish smell to it when the can was opened, and the material in the can had a gritty feel between the fingers. The oil had degraded with time. As a collecters item, probably worth a bunch, as not a common item. As a usable product - questionable at best.
Old 09-09-2016, 05:27:07 PM
Registered-III

8 ounces per gallon of outboard boat motor oil.