Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines Fairbanks Morse, Lister, Petter, Witte and other pump injected Diesel oil engines.

Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines

P&H Diesel Engine (387) circa 1950's

this thread has 23 replies and has been viewed 12504 times

Old 10-01-2009, 08:45:34 PM
Registered

Default P&H Diesel Engine (387) circa 1950's

I have a P&H 255A dragline that has a P&H 387C-18-E diesel engine (serial # C-32249). I'm looking for any technical (or non-technical) information available about this engine. Searching the internet hasn't provided many results. Anyone out there know anything about these engines?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2009, 09:51:30 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: P&H Diesel Engine (387) circa 1950's

When I was in the Army in the early 60's there were some P & H cranes. Those engines were 2 stroke with a Bosh APE fuel pump.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:46:02 PM
Registered

Thank you!
Old 10-02-2009, 12:26:59 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,208 Times in 945 Posts

All I have is anecdotal, that they built a relatively small number of engines for use in their own equipment, supposedly mostly larger sizes, and that various forum posts commented they weren't the worlds best engines...
Seems like I was looking for info one time (I hadn't known they'd produced any engines) and found a company history (existing website?) that didn't mention any engine production, and thought at the time must be something they'd prefer no one remembered...
You might also try posting on hcea and stripmine; I didn't think to check to see if P&H still has a website before I started this. Good luck.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:45:27 AM
Registered-III

P&H is still going: phmining.com, but they've got a video history, that I didn't run. Don't know whether they want to acknowledge they ever built diesel engines or not (lol)...
I'm pretty sure the history I remember reading is on morriscranes. com; it mentions steam engines and electric motors, but if there's any hint of diesels I missed it...
Old 02-01-2010, 03:11:24 PM
Registered-I

Hi,guys,first time posting here..I also have a P&H 255A crane/shovel with a 387C-18.Being a little young for that engine's time,I did however worked with a Master Mechanic in the union who was very well versed in them.He said,they were not bad engines if in an application where they ran constantly,stayed a fairly constant temperature.The big problem they had was keeping the coolant where it belonged.The P&H was a novel design,light years ahead of anything else.They put out phenominal power to weight and displacement for the time,and were designed for quick and easy service.There were too many o-ring seals for too many pieces that made up the water jackets around the liners.That,coupled with expansion and contraction and electrolysis from dissimilar metals,after a time made coolant in the oil inevitable.If one drained the coolant from the oil and put it back in the radiator before starting,destroying the engine could have been avoided.P&H never seemed to be able to solve the problem,and like Cummins with the "V" series engines and G.M. with it's Toro-Flow,5.7 and 8.2 engines,just let them fade into oblivion.With today's sealing technology,the P&H diesel probably could be made to work.I would like to find some parts or used liner packs to get the 255A one running,if not I will have to repower it.Al
Old 02-02-2010, 12:04:53 AM
Registered-III

Some P&H engines did not use wrist pins in the rod and piston,They had a big ball on the upper end of the rod that was held in a socket in the piston to give it more bearing surface.Can anyone tell me if they were all built that way?
Old 02-02-2010, 12:53:55 AM
Registered-III

Iceslider: Have you tried the P&H site for any advice/info/sympathy as to where to look for parts?? They may've wholesaled out their parts inventory, and someone might remember.
There're several obsolete industrial engine parts outfits around the country, like jobbers, egge, foley, etc; I believe industrial engine rebuilders is all diesel, but don't know if they sell parts. I can advise emails for a dozen or so if you're actively looking and haven't tried any (they often think very highly of their stock:$$$)..
In the several years I've been following these engine etc sites only recall one or two other P&H engine posts; as you said, they've pretty well faded into oblivion...
The Following User Says Thank You to Bud Tierney For This Post:
Old 02-02-2010, 02:08:19 AM
Registered-III

Well, couldn't leave well enough alone...
Googled (adv search, exact phrase) "p&h engines" and got three hits: my 2006 inquiry (as clueless) with a reply of a then running 6cyl in Minnesota, and two other threads here on smokstak with more P&H engine info...
Googled (same search limit) "p&h engine" and a batch of hits came up, including one that had "P&H engine parts" in the thumbnail...but when I pulled up the site it had Arabic with the English, and talked about the company's first customers being in Abu Dhabi and the UAE (maybe that's where the P&H parts went??--LOL)
Did NOT Google "P&H engine parts....
Old 02-02-2010, 06:05:51 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 2,166 Times in 757 Posts

Ball and socket wrist pins were used by a very few companies, Petters used them and so did Peter Brotherhood, and both companies produced two-stroke diesel engines.

Peter