Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Shows and Swap Meets > Coolspring Pennsylvania
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Coolspring Pennsylvania The Coolspring Power Museum contains the largest collection of historically significant, early stationary gas engines in the country, if the not the world. Visit Coolspring, Pennsylvania for the Summer and Fall Expo and Swap Meet!

Coolspring Pennsylvania

Coolspring Show still the Best

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 2737 times

Old 06-22-2014, 11:42:08 PM
Subscriber

Default Coolspring Show still the Best

Thanks to all of the staff at Coolspring for putting on another great show, yes lots of water and mud but lets face it, a muddy wet show at Coolspring at least for me is better than a good day at any other show. I drove 1200 miles and I would not have traded it for anything. The staff were great as always. A special thanks to Jake, he has a hard thankless job that I think most would agree that most people would not want, my hats off to you jake. Greg
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Greg Best For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2014, 06:49:30 AM
Registered-I

Default Re: Coolspring Show still the Best

Good to see you made it back in time Greg, it was great talking with you and hope to see ya again in 2015.
The Following User Says Thank You to MotorMike For This Post:
Old 06-23-2014, 07:03:32 AM
Administrator

Thanked 13,635 Times in 2,326 Posts

Ditto! I left my boots and raincoat in Florida, but I made the best of it.

I became a Coolspring Patron as there is simply no other concentration of engines that deserve care, concern and support. A neat place to drive 1200 miles to see!
Old 06-23-2014, 07:25:06 AM
Subscriber

X2 on everything you said Greg.

I dang near didn't load and attend last year since we cannot be there prior to Thursday AM. This was after some things were written about getting a spot to set up unless you know somebody or show up 3 days early.

For those who have never been there I am compelled to make public that in spite of the fact we are total "nobodies" at Coolspring or in the engine community at large AND that we made no prior arrangements AND that we showed up under the most duress of conditions early on Thursday,,,, we were kindly asked if we minded parking up on the hill. The guys up there were understandably concerned about being raided by a bunch of trailers and trucks but we were directed to a place to back in and tried to stay out of everyone's way. I have seen shows shut down for much less problems than the people at Coolspring dealt with this year and am very thankful to have been offered a place to set up.

My hat is off to everyone involved, a first class operation in my opinion.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:03:24 AM

The show gets better with every year. (Just don't forget your tall boots & rain gear.) My favorite feature is the ability to get a hot shower for after a long hot day (usually after midnite) before retiring to the back of my truck. More additions & buildings are planned, so you ain't seen nuthin yet.

Special thanx to Viella's Meats for their sausage stuffed hot pepper sammiches.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:14:23 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,443 Times in 4,155 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Coolspring Show still the Best

I too want to thank Jake and the rest of the crew at Coolspring. I got there after 11 PM, and spent the night in the truck, due to the fact that the Super 8 lost my reservation Friday morning I pulled onto the grounds at 7 AM, and jake was already pulling his hair at the set up area. I explained that I could not get around easily, due to my stroke, and my heavy truck is only 2 wheel drive. He told me to wait a while, while he checked a few things out. In the meantime, a few others passed me, including a pick up with a Reid engine on a trailer, that I later saw sunk up to the axle in the mud! Jake came back and sent me up the hill to where the Snow engine is housed, and I was allowed to set up there. I took my Charter engine off the trailer, and set up a table to display my Burns & Horner Reid Prototype engine. Despite all the bad weather reports, Friday and Saturday turned out swell. I enjoyed seeing the exhibits, and met a lot of friends from the Stak, including John Burns (beautiful workmanship and great running 4 HP Reid), Mark Shulaw, and many others as best I could get to see. Harry, where were you set up? I was asking for you but no one seemed to know where you were set up. I know I didn't get to see all of the grounds, as muddy/slippery conditions, especially in the lower field made walking difficult for me, but I did get around some. One thing I noticed was a LOT of golf carts! I bet there were at least 20 of them running around, as well as Gaters, a few butt buggies and a few motorbikes! I wish I had brought my Fairmont tractor, Then I might have been able to see the whole show! Thanks to all for the help, including offers of rides up and down the hill! I really enjoyed the show, and hope to attend again next year.
Andrew
Old 06-23-2014, 06:11:28 PM
Subscriber

To anyone that is a true gas engine enthusiast, The Coolspring Power Museum is a unique and rewarding experience. To have the opportunity as a member or guest to view the collection they showcase multiple times a year is a privilege. The founders and many volunteers have done and continue to do great things for this hobby. I have attended for the last 25 years and always find something to study that I have'nt before. It also sets up a unique social gathering for people around the world to network and share knowledge and experiences. My hats off to the founders of the CPM for their vision to built this dream and the many volunteers that make the CPM "machine" run. I respect and admire the fine work you have done and continue to do.

Thank You Gentlemen and Ladies,

Jeffery R. Parks and Family
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff R Parks For This Post:
Old 06-23-2014, 06:26:09 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,293 Times in 312 Posts
Smile Re: Coolspring Show still the Best

One thing sticking out i noticed at coolsprings this year, as bad as the extreme weather was, the show was full of exhibitors or wanted to be waiting to be placed. Coolsprings is so very high quality and everyone knows it. Its worth enduring. David babcock.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:04:59 PM
Subscriber

The only real complaint I could have is getting stuck in Chicago as all east bound flights got cancelled on Wed night. Arrived on Thurs after 5pm and was delighted to find a lot still going on. Saw a LOT that I had no idea even existed! The big yellow book is great, but seeing these fine, rare engines up close and personal? Priceless.

Tons of independently owned engines with their owners eager to share, Friendly museum staff and volunteers really went the extra mile. Got to see extra runnings of the Snow and big Miller engines. Every time I turned around was another building or group of engines I had not seen yet.

Could not have enjoyed it more, (unless I stayed longer). Will arrive earlier next time so as to get a full 3 or more days!

Nice job CPM!
Old 06-23-2014, 09:28:16 PM
Registered-III

I am sure that I'm speaking for all the volunteers at Coolspring when I say "Thank You" to all who endured the weather and still had a great time. The museum is growing bigger and bigger every year, so be patient with us, while we figure out the little problems that arise from growing pains. We all enjoy seeing and talking to you guys, plus running the engines ain't too bad either. It's always nice at Coolspring even if the weather sucks. The big Otto still rules even with Snow.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nort For This Post: