Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

John Deere 1 1/2 E Governor Trouble

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 3436 times

Old 11-14-2011, 07:46:08 PM
Registered-I

Default John Deere 1 1/2 E Governor Trouble

What causes the trip lever to stick, holds the exhaust valve open ? What is out of location or broke ?

Harold
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2011, 10:31:19 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: john deere 1 1/2

Hi Harold,

The only thing I can think of is the spring on the trip is not setup right, so it stops the rod from coming back, but I'm guessing your are able to see that! Pictures help!
Old 11-15-2011, 10:37:15 PM
Hoarder

Thanked 3,109 Times in 961 Posts
Default Re: John Deere 1 1/2 E Governor Trouble

Make sure you have enough tension on the speed control. I've never checked it with a tachometer, but somewhere just below 300 rpm my engine will latch out and coast to a stop. Turn the speed control nut a couple turns clockwise and see if that fixes the problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Monnier For This Post:
Old 11-16-2011, 10:55:01 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,823 Times in 2,439 Posts

In the John Deere manuals I have they state the gov can be set by the adjusting nut from half speed to top speed, I guess when you had a load on them they didn't want them to run slower because the gov throws the oil around and maybe it would not get enough oil at slower speeds and when oil was cold.But if you take the plate off the side there is a adjusting nut that the gov rod hits that moves the lock up latch that will take up some of the wear and slop from gov shaft bushing and gov wear,also check your STEEL cotter pins in your gov weights to see how much they are worn.Replace only with the best STEEL cotterpins you can find if there is any wear.On the adjusting nut of gov under plate, you just have to tinker to you find the sweet spot,the slowest I can get my 6hp down to is around 200,and then I also have read that running these old ones the slowest you can can break crankshafts and crack flywheels and hubs,from the shock of the fireing stroke.And running them real slow also stresses the engne more than running faster because of the slowing down and then rapid acceleration of flywheels and crank insted of a smooth run..........
Old 11-17-2011, 12:18:40 AM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Monnier View Post
Make sure you have enough tension on the speed control. I've never checked it with a tachometer, but somewhere just below 300 rpm my engine will latch out and coast to a stop. Turn the speed control nut a couple turns clockwise and see if that fixes the problem.
I have side cover off and I think your right. Will ajust and give it a try. Thought I had a serius problem. Thanks, Harold

---------- Post added at 10:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Mueller Sr View Post
In the John Deere manuals I have they state the gov can be set by the adjusting nut from half speed to top speed, I guess when you had a load on them they didn't want them to run slower because the gov throws the oil around and maybe it would not get enough oil at slower speeds and when oil was cold.But if you take the plate off the side there is a adjusting nut that the gov rod hits that moves the lock up latch that will take up some of the wear and slop from gov shaft bushing and gov wear,also check your STEEL cotter pins in your gov weights to see how much they are worn.Replace only with the best STEEL cotterpins you can find if there is any wear.On the adjusting nut of gov under plate, you just have to tinker to you find the sweet spot,the slowest I can get my 6hp down to is around 200,and then I also have read that running these old ones the slowest you can can break crankshafts and crack flywheels and hubs,from the shock of the fireing stroke.And running them real slow also stresses the engne more than running faster because of the slowing down and then rapid acceleration of flywheels and crank insted of a smooth run..........
Thanks Rich for the info, it will be very helpful. Harold

---------- Post added at 11:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Monnier View Post
what weight oil to use in this engine and how much ?
Harold
Old 11-17-2011, 06:22:55 AM
Subscriber

Thumbs up Re: John Deere 1 1/2 E Governor Trouble

I use 30 wt non-detergent, but I think it really doesn't matter a lot what you use. The manual states you should fill to the bottom of the threads, but I find that if I fill to about 1/4" below the threads, I have a lot less oil coming out. I checked that level, and it's just below the rim of the cup around the governor. There is a LOT of oil thrown around that crankcase by that governor.

Mine slows to about 150 and hits, speeding up to about 350.

Bill Miller
Old 11-17-2011, 09:18:10 AM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMiller View Post
I use 30 wt non-detergent, but I think it really doesn't matter a lot what you use. The manual states you should fill to the bottom of the threads, but I find that if I fill to about 1/4" below the threads, I have a lot less oil coming out. I checked that level, and it's just below the rim of the cup around the governor. There is a LOT of oil thrown around that crankcase by that governor.

Mine slows to about 150 and hits, speeding up to about 350.

Bill Miller
Thanks for the info Bill.
Harold
Old 11-17-2011, 10:43:35 PM
Registered-I

what am I doing wrong ? In front of my name it says I moved. Don't know how that happened.
Harold