Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Scale Model Engineering
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Scale Model Engineering Steam, gas and hot air model engines, tractors, trains and accessories. Machining and milling castings.

Scale Model Engineering

Hit & Miss Model from Banggood

this thread has 89 replies and has been viewed 8336 times

Old 11-19-2019, 01:02:44 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Hit & Miss Model from Banggood

Hi how do you start your engine with a drill thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2019, 10:33:11 AM
Subscriber

Eddie B thank you for getting back so soon and giving a good description of the lp set up. I was thinking of using a disposable @lb propane bottle for "kitchen" table runs.
Cheers,
Tim
Old 11-19-2019, 08:01:56 PM
Registered

Hi Team,
I have a short length of softish orange colored nylon tube that is a neat fit on the crankshaft extension--so I do not mar the crankshaft with the chuck jaws--think I may have moved the flywheel on the ignition disc side in a bit for more grip--I set the drill chuck to be a pull off fit on the tubing over the crank extension--sometimes I need to give the flywheel a boost turning by hand to get the engine turning past the first compression--run the engine in the correct Direction of Rotation and with the ignition on, open the carby needle valve until she fires up--give the drill a snappy pull off the nylon tube and on she runs, hitting and missing beautifully.

I feel the LPG setup is safer for indoors running as there is no danger of spills or vapors being ignited by gas appliance pilot flames, nearby smokers, etc.

Cheers,
Eddie B.
The Following User Says Thank You to eddie bedwell For This Post:
Old 11-21-2019, 08:54:42 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie bedwell View Post
Hi Team,
I have a short length of softish orange colored nylon tube that is a neat fit on the crankshaft extension--so I do not mar the crankshaft with the chuck jaws--think I may have moved the flywheel on the ignition disc side in a bit for more grip--I set the drill chuck to be a pull off fit on the tubing over the crank extension--sometimes I need to give the flywheel a boost turning by hand to get the engine turning past the first compression--run the engine in the correct Direction of Rotation and with the ignition on, open the carby needle valve until she fires up--give the drill a snappy pull off the nylon tube and on she runs, hitting and missing beautifully.

I feel the LPG setup is safer for indoors running as there is no danger of spills or vapors being ignited by gas appliance pilot flames, nearby smokers, etc.

Cheers,
Eddie B.
I noticed that if I retard the timing slightly the flywheels loosen up and you have to retighten the screws.
Old 11-23-2019, 09:08:46 PM
Subscriber

Photo Re: Hit & Miss Model from Banggood

Well, cold and damp outside today so I thought I would play in the shop with my propane torch and motor. First day I've ever ran this too!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tim B For This Post:
Old 11-23-2019, 10:23:30 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim B View Post
Well, cold and damp outside today so I thought I would play in the shop with my propane torch and motor. First day I've ever ran this too!

Sounds good. My engine seems to fire twice instead of firing once like the ones you posted on youtube. it pops pops then coasts and fires twice again. what causes that.
Old 11-26-2019, 06:41:37 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Venetis View Post
Sounds good. My engine seems to fire twice instead of firing once like the ones you posted on youtube. it pops pops then coasts and fires twice again. what causes that.
I found out why the flywheel screws loosen up, the crank is slightly bent. The flywheel wobbles slightly. Is there a way to correct that or do you have to buy a new crank thanks.
Old 11-26-2019, 06:51:43 PM
Registered

Hi Team,
I think I recall one of my flywheels came loose too and then wobbled after tightening--that's when I discovered there are TWO grub screws holding the flywheels on--one is 180 Deg. opposite the other--then I discovered that I could tighten BOTH screws in such a way as to get the Flywheel to run true.
I feel one screw was not properly tightened at the factory so allowing the F/Wheel to come loose--seems to be OK now with both screws properly tightened--now checked periodically.

After I fixed the loose F/Wheel I also checked all fasteners for tightness.
Cheers,
Eddie B.
The Following User Says Thank You to eddie bedwell For This Post:
Old 12-03-2019, 03:56:42 PM
Subscriber

has anybody come up with a way to slow these engines down to a more realistic speed? i thought i read someone used dental brace rubber bands.
Old 12-03-2019, 04:24:13 PM

Thanked 6,837 Times in 4,339 Posts

With the compression they have, you cant slow to much or they will stall on the compression stroke. Heavier flywheels may cure that,, but you would have to make them your self.

Has the trade war changed the price/availability of these engines? I was thinking of getting a few for my kids.