Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Off Topic Discussion > Computer, Camera and ISP Problems
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems Solutions for accessing and using the SmokStak® boards. Posting pictures, preventing viruses and solving internet service provider problems.

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems

Vista Help

this thread has 48 replies and has been viewed 5183 times

Old 02-08-2010, 08:18:01 PM
Registered

Default Re: Vista Help

So far I don't have any problem with websites or youtube.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen2.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	73202  
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2010, 09:36:07 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,419 Times in 847 Posts

I have 32 Bit on this one. HP a6303w (Desktop) and 64 Bit on (Laptop) HP G60-235WM. No Problems with either on U Tube or Eldons page...

The only Real Problem I had was Vista comes with Web Publishing Features turned off by Default and would Not Work with Microsoft Frontpage... Yes I got a Lot of Ex Spurt advise telling me to Junk Vista but after I finally found the problem and turned things on No Problem... Some people couldn't see the Forest... Just a Big Bunch of Trees...
Old 02-09-2010, 06:17:52 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 9,746 Times in 1,693 Posts

I did like Vista and Windows 7 seems to be a little faster. The only issue was the 3 web sites. There could have been more but haven't found any yet.
So if Adobe doesn't support 64 bit platforms as they said on their web site what are you guys using for a flashplayer that runs .flv files? I can only watch YouTube on IE8 32 bit, not 64 bit. Are you guys possible running a different browser? Thanks, Fred

Engine movies can be seen at: pileofiron
Old 02-09-2010, 08:07:38 AM
Registered

I use Firefox for web browsing but I don't have to "do" anything about the 64 bit issue you are having. My system must default to the 32 bit viewer without me even knowing.
-Wayne
The Following User Says Thank You to Wayne Hansen For This Post:
Old 02-09-2010, 12:37:04 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,419 Times in 847 Posts

Well.... I just have IE 8. I just checked the laptop for the first time in a month. (Don't use it much in the winter as it's my Show and traveling Puter)

It downloaded a Bunch of Updates, One for Adobe Flash, Some for Nortons.

U tube still works Fine as other things...

I did notice that under all programs this one has only One internet explorer where on the laptop there are two. Could one be 32 bit and one 64... Who knows.. I can't tell... ??

Ya I fell for the Download this, Download That as it's So Much Better...

But after some unpleasant experiences of Left behind Tidbits that I had to go to system restore to Finally Get Rid of I just stumble along with something that works...
Old 02-16-2010, 09:24:01 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 7,767 Times in 2,942 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Van Hook View Post

..............snip..................

If I remember Eldens sounds like glass breaking and 83 footer starts with some anoying music???? Didn't heaar it on either with Google Chrome. I did listen to Elden homebrew diesel with the generator.. had sound and by the way Elden if you are watching NICE JOB!!!!
Fred:

Not being interested in Windoze Vista, I just stumbled into here. While reading the thread, I thought, "Oh, no! My website is bein' lumped in with AOHell! What have I done wrong?"

In any case, I'm glad you got it worked out.

I'm glad you liked my Homebrew Hvid. It's not a Hvid any more. The danged Hvid smoked something fierce and didn't make enough power to do anything with. The engine now sports a low compression head and runs on gasoline or naphtha.

If you're gonna be at Zolfo, I'll be there with The 2009 Algore Edition Green Hybrid Hoyt-Clagwell.

Take care - Elden
http://www.oldengine.org/members/durand
Old 02-18-2010, 12:09:48 AM
Registered

Regarding the 64-bit messages, adobe, and youtube not working, you are starting the 64-bit version of IE8.

On your desktop delete any IE icons, then click the start menu, highlight any IE8 links and if they mention 64-bit right click them and click remove from this list.

Now go to start - all programs and find the IE8 icons, there should be a 32bit and a 64-bit link... right click the one that is 32-bit (just doesn't say 64-bit) and choose send to > desktop (create shortcut)...

Now open the ie8 link on your desktop and go to youtube.

Also regarding the original problem, if a webpage is constantly crashing IE there is a trick. Click the "Page" button at the top right of IE8 and choose "compatibility view settings" Type in the address of the webpage that is crashing and click add, thgen click close. Now try to open the webpage again.

IE8 is actually M$'s attempt at finally making IE using html standards. Previously all browsers except IE used the standard and IE had its own seperate "standard" that everyone had to go along with and work around... IE8 no longer needs the webpage to send special code for it to display the page properly but older sites still check if you are running IE (regardless of version) and send you the code that IE7 and older needed... and it sometimes crashes.... The compatibility list makes ie8 display the page as if it was IE7 or older... instead of version 8 which displays webpages like other browsers have done for years, using the actual html standards.

-Matt
Old 02-18-2010, 06:15:38 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 9,746 Times in 1,693 Posts

Here is some sort of resolution that Microsoft has come up with to solve this problem... I am still I have to use 64 bit IE8 for Elden, AOL and 83 footer, and I have found another site the needs it... But to watch YouTube movies I need to use 32 bit IE8???? Still working on it...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Windows Addons.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	73691  

Engine movies can be seen at: pileofiron
Old 02-18-2010, 07:44:17 PM
Registered

I have windows 7 64bit operating system but I use the 32bit version of IE for everything, if something isn't working in the 32bit version then yes you may have a problem with an add-on.

You can start by uninstalling any toolbars like msn, yahoo, google, etc if they are on your system, they load with internet explorer and can cause this behaviour.

Another program that i have seen create issues lately is microsoft live.

-Matt
The Following User Says Thank You to MarylandSteam For This Post: