Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Slater Engine Co. Warren Ma.

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 1934 times

Old 11-05-2013, 02:09:04 PM
Registered

Default Slater Engine Co. Warren Ma.

Greetings to All;

My Name is Arthur Slater, Great, Great Grand Nephew of Mr. Frank Slater - Founder of the Slater Engine Co. Warren Mass.

I am looking for any information about my Uncles company and any Memorbilia, Equipment, Engines, Placards, Photos, Ads etc... I have been trying for many years to locate items and /or information and to very little luck. I am in great hopes that this forum and people within this forum may be of great assistance to myself and my Family in bringing back some family history. My contact information is as follows:

Arthur Slater
757-535-3237
sengin1@aol.com

Thank you very much for all your assistance.

Sincerely
Arthur Slater
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2013, 09:43:46 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Slater Engine Co. Warren Ma.

Is this the same company? If so it looks like they also made steam engines at one time.

http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex...l.aspx?id=3294

Good luck with your search!!

Karl
Old 11-06-2013, 10:38:13 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,716 Times in 1,650 Posts

I can't find much on the Slater Engine Co. of Warren. Seems like they were into steam engines but I was not able to find indication that they also made gasoline engines.

Here is a short mention of the company in June 1903.

Denis Rouleau
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slater19030603a.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	178917  
Old 11-06-2013, 10:44:24 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,308 Posts

Warren Pump Co. Warren, Mass. has been in business since 1897. Related to Slater?
Old 11-06-2013, 01:33:07 PM
Registered

One of Warren Pump companies founders was Frank Slater (My Uncle) Yes. One in the same. To others that posted comments I do appreciate them all. The Slater Engine Company only built Steam engines, and I know that they built an engine for the Hartford Steam and Boiler company of Hartford Ct but trying to find anything that still exists from that company is near impossible on my own and this is why I have reached out to the community.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:49:42 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,194 Times in 941 Posts

I assume you've already gone to/through the obvious sources:
Local/regional newspapers of the period/area (usually takes a lot of time with microfilm reels, but some've been digitized)...defunct papers often in pub lib ...
Pub Lib may have historical documents section, particularly for major employer...
Ditto for local, regional AND state hist'l societies/groups (they can be very possessive re' not sharing old documents) as well as, the first obvious choice: local old engine etc groups...
The company apparently survived the 1903 financial problems:
1903 Assignment to Trustee for creditors (NY Times 5-26-03)
Listing under Automatic High-Speed Engines and Corliss and Low Speed Automatic Engines in 1916 issue of Steam...
Didn't try serious Googling as also assume you've already done that..
Mass equivalent of Cptn Comm will have business filing and termination records; may include names of Officers/Principals--running down their bio's sometimes reveals info/leads....Good luck.

---------- Post added at 12:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 PM ----------

(Sigh)--I never think, while laboriously typing a reply, to double-check for new posts just before I hit "send"...
Old 11-06-2013, 09:24:30 PM
Subscriber

If the Slater Company only made steam engines then it might be better to have this post over on the steam page. Maybe one of the moderators could kick this post over to that page if you would like to ask them to do so.

Karl

---------- Post added at 08:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 PM ----------

Here is a link that will take you to many books on Google books that reference the Slater Engine Company

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=bk...engine+company

I also came across this letter for the Slater Engine Company that sold in 2011. You might be able to read it if you can blow it up some.

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedi...n-ma-153773790

Hope this all helps, Karl