Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Garden Tractors and Mowers
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Garden Tractors and Mowers Vintage lawn and garden tractors, mowers, snow blowers, snowmobiles and other old machinery that is driven by small air cooled engines.

Garden Tractors and Mowers

Homebuilt Swapmeet scooters ?

this thread has 27 replies and has been viewed 11156 times

Old 09-06-2005, 06:56:52 AM
Registered

Question Homebuilt Swapmeet scooters ?

I would like to built a three-wheeled scooter to get around and haul stuff at swapmeets. I was just a Midwest Old Threshers in Mt Pleasant Iowa . I saw a couple of neat homebuilts. Just something to ride around and put my "treasures" in . Does anyone have any pics of what they have built or pics of what they have found ? I know there is other guys out there like me that would like to see also.
I would prefer a gasoline powered one but would also consider an electric.
Thanks,
Raz
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2005, 01:47:32 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,241 Times in 1,650 Posts
Default Re: Homebuilt Swapmeet scooters ?

Look for an old engine powered self propelled reel type mower - Don't go cuttin' up a classic, there are plenty of old junkers out there. Remove all of the blade components and you have a drive unit that you can then attach a bicycle frame to. Remove the rear bike wheel and spread the frame to the width of the mower top (engine mounting) plate. Weld & brace as needed. The mower will have some sort of clutch - probably an idler pulley that will tighten and loosen with a rod or lever. You'll need to rig up linkage for this clutch and a throttle. Brakes might be a good idea too. Won't be fast, but should motorvate you at a good walking pace.
Be careful,

I Can Probably Fix That
Old 09-08-2005, 10:14:10 AM
Registered

Raz, here is some pics of mine, built in 1996.

My intent was to have a seat due to age, and move at a slow walk for look'in, and three bolts to separate front wheel assembly for hauling in GEO Tracker.

The motor is 1976 3hp aluminum B&S from a tiller, including idler/belt tightener. The rear axle with spider gear differential from a flea market (probably a small riding mower). I staggered home from a industrial supply house with the #40 chain and sprockets.

The speed range from idle to moderate throttle is very slow stroll to fast walk. motor to axle ratio is 1 to 30. Yours may vary due to motor speed/wheel diameter.

I was pleasantly surprised at its pulling power. Easily handles trailer with chair and adult or engine. At Portland, it pulled three trailers from the field to campground carrying Tony Leonard, his dad Bud, and a 3 hp m.

I hope this info will be helpful in your design and that you enjoy yours as I have mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Img1276.JPG
Views:	646
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	3698   Click image for larger version

Name:	Img1279.JPG
Views:	768
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	3699   Click image for larger version

Name:	Img1278.JPG
Views:	593
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	3700   Click image for larger version

Name:	Img1277.JPG
Views:	542
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	3701  
Old 12-29-2005, 05:11:07 PM
Subscriber

I went a little diferent route. Poke around the next show and buy a one wheel cultavator. They tend to have a little 1.5 hp Brigs on them. The good one has a nice clutch Mine just has a belt tensioner. Then find a two wheel sulky (or weld one togeather) and make a hitch. It is important that the hitch allows the cultavator to turn but not to tip. I used a short section of pipe on the cultavator and a Pipe T on the sulky of the next size larger so it drops over the pipe.
It is light weight and small

Frankhttp://www.smokstak.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5828&stc=1
3 wheel2.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3 wheel2.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	5828  
Old 01-26-2006, 08:38:43 PM
Registered

If you look around enough you can find a Scooter three wheel vehicle like an APE made by Piaggio (Vespa). Pronounced "Ah Pay". In fact there is one in Georgia on eBay right now for $1,500 but I would pass on it for that much money. And I picked up one made by an India based company, Bajaj, for $800 in better condition. I did pay $1200 for one that was in very good condition. These are simple 150cc, 2 stroke, four speed, with a cab and lights and everything. Very easy to rebuild the motors and have four manual forward speed and reverse! They look sort of like a Cushman or some such three wheel utility vehicle. Drive like a scooter with a shift on the left grip and take simple scooter tires and such. I have two of these I am redoing for my work. Interesting looking and can come with beds, boxes or even Rickshaw rears on them. Or you can make your own.

Bajaj imports a 4 stroke street legal one even today. But its mighty overpriced. I think 6 grand. No one imports a Diesel one at this moment. But they are prevalent over in the East. I have one of these coming over for a Biodiesel project that is being brought in Gray Market. Off road only and demonstraton machine.
Old 02-16-2006, 04:52:43 PM
Subscriber

With 800 viewings of this topic, I'm really surmised there aren't more postings of our homemade buggies. I've been collecting parts and pieces for a number of years and now its time to build one. I started with an old Wards weed mower with a Clinton 2 hp engine from the 50s for my power plant. I'm building a riding cart and will be fabricating a swiveling hitch for it over the next couple of weeks. To see the current stage of development, go to : http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/Albu...298&a=32086764

I'll post more pictures of my progress as it comes together. Greg
Old 02-17-2006, 05:54:56 PM
Registered

Default junk yard wars

Hello greg i alway thought about doing the same thing. butt its one of my one hundred options. maybe we should get to geather and go on tv on that show junkyard wars. I know i would be a happy camper. you dont even need a welder, if you drill and bolt every thing together. i got alot of them walk behinds. butt they did make them so you could put a two wheel seater behind them. iam just waiting for someone to post one. hey good luck with the homemade four wheeler. cant wait to see it Dan
Old 02-17-2006, 07:07:51 PM

Thanked 6,767 Times in 4,301 Posts

I re-engined an old ford garden tractor with a QBA 8-13 HP Fairmont railcar engine! I used the factory clutch and gearing, and mounted an 8" V belt pully on the engine. The machine went fastest when I put it in reverse, and reversed the Fairmont ! I made the exhaust pipe out of 2" type L plumbing copper pipe, and put a 2" x 1" bull headed Tee on the end, with 2 - 1" street 90 degree ells, on the running ends. 2 Volkswagon flare tips, clamped in the street ells quieted the exhaust somewhat, I didn't have to blow a horn to get people out of the way. They gave it a wide berth!
Andrew
Old 02-17-2006, 08:26:33 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,483 Times in 515 Posts

right now im working on a "tractor" for the up coming show season. the rear wheels and gearbox/ diff. are from a david-bradley style garden tractor, im guessing from the 20's. it is steel-wheeles with 3" spikes! i wish i knew exactly what kind it was. i used the existing bracket for whatever engine originally came on it, and just bolted some angle iron on, and it just so happened that they are the perfect width for my cushman binder motor. i will have to make a pulley for the cushman, because they dont aline perfectly, but i will be able to use the original driven pulley and tensioner. i have made good progress for working on it only a few hours. yesterday i cut the handles down to use them as brackets for the platform, which i will hopefully get done tomorrow. i also have another "tractor" of basically the same style that im robbing the controls off of. i'll see if i can get craig to post a pic and maybe some of you fine folks can tell me what i have.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:15:28 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by HilltopCycle/ATV
I would like to built a three-wheeled scooter to get around and haul stuff at swapmeets. I was just a Midwest Old Threshers in Mt Pleasant Iowa . I saw a couple of neat homebuilts. Just something to ride around and put my "treasures" in . Does anyone have any pics of what they have built or pics of what they have found ? I know there is other guys out there like me that would like to see also.
I would prefer a gasoline powered one but would also consider an electric.
Thanks,
Raz
you might want to a 4 wheel scooter a lot of the shows dont allow 2-3 wheeled veales any more
Old 02-19-2006, 12:19:10 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,604 Times in 495 Posts

You guys that put that junk together so you don't have to walk are just as bad as the users of golf carts. Your loud mufflers are a hearing hazzard to people around as mentioned in an earlier post, and pedestrians always have to watch oput for you. I have no problem with what you are doing if you have health concerns. If you don't have health problems get off of rump and walk, maybe you won't have health problems then!
Old 02-20-2006, 01:57:53 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by LundMachineWorks
You guys that put that junk together so you don't have to walk are just as bad as the users of golf carts. Your loud mufflers are a hearing hazzard to people around as mentioned in an earlier post, and pedestrians always have to watch oput for you. I have no problem with what you are doing if you have health concerns. If you don't have health problems get off of rump and walk, maybe you won't have health problems then!

Why don?t you tell us how your really feel?
Personally, I receive a great deal of satisfaction out of building something out of "junk" that is serviceable. These buggies have other lives to offer than just riding around at swap meets, I plan to use mine in tractor rides at shows and in hometown parades. So, the next you see someone riding around on junk, I?ll be sure to wave (to be taken with a grain of salt).
Old 02-20-2006, 02:44:30 PM
Sky

im not trying to be rude or disrespectfull in any way but if others feel like they want to ride on something other than walk, expecially when your feet hurt, from walking something like portland up here in indiana, then that is there concern and or problem, not mine. i like to ride to, if i feel like it or my feet hurt, i could babble on and on but it's the same reason people have ATV's or golf carts or "junk" or go carts and scooters and such. it's simple, we like to ride. and theres absolutely nothing wrong with that as from what i see. plus thats part of the hobby, to build "creative toys" well known as "junk" to ride. Though i have to agree with you there, im not in favor of loud mufflers eaither. i get headachs easily nowa days it seems.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:10:01 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,241 Times in 1,650 Posts

This issue presents some conflict for me as well. On one hand, I applaud and appreciate the effort that goes into making up a working machine from bits of junk & scrap. On the other hand, I have also been annoyed at the rudeness some (not all) of the operators of these machines show towards those of us that get around on our feet. I've been honked at, had motors revved up in a threatening manner and had things shouted at me for failing to get out of their way - while they are trying to drive down a foot-path. Maybe a designated area to show & run these contraptions would be one idea to keep tempers in check. The idea of a dedicated meet of some sort specifically for home built buggies - with pulling & hill climbing events - has crossed my mind long before this subject was discussed here.
For an otherwise young & healthy person to insist that they have a right to become a moving mennace just because their feet are tired doesn't hold much water with me. From what I've seen, most home made 'Motor-vators' generally putt along at a good slow pace - what I find most irritating are very young kids (14 & under) zipping around WAY too fast on ATVs. Combine inexperience with speed and a disaster is bound to happen.

I Can Probably Fix That
Old 02-23-2006, 12:57:19 AM
Sky

it is why when a person does drive these things, you do it with common sence, and dont get speed happy, those that can do that with common sence should have the right. dont matter who or how old you are, and still have respect for the walker. i agree that would get a feller mad to just come up behind someone and honk and rev there engine, thats called no respect or sence.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:38:30 AM
Subscriber

I agree with that fact that there should be a place for pedestrians and motor-vators. I should have elaborated in my pervious post, but our Branch holds timed rides during the shows where we can ride our restored tractors, barn fresh tractors, barely running tractors, and homemade contraptions without foot traffic interfering. I guess I jumped into the discussion without making my case for building and riding these things SAFELY.

Rude driving is not something that is only found at swap meets, there will always be the hothead behind the wheel or handle bars. My teenage son was hunting on private property with his friend, when they came across trespassers on dirt bikes. The boys informed them that they were on private property and one of them attempted to hit the boys with his bike. This was done while the boys were holding their rifles!
Old 02-23-2006, 12:21:52 PM

Thanked 6,767 Times in 4,301 Posts

You find idiots everywhere it seems. There has been a lot of discussion on butt buggies here on the stak, with both good and not so good advice and ideas. Some adults (if you want to call 'em that) just have no respect. They feel that they deserve special attention. My wife went shopping last week in a local Shop Rite store. She has R.A pretty bad, but still manages to walk as much as she can, while she is still able. While at the store, she was walking slowly down an isle, with a heavy loaded cart. I was in another Isle. When I returned to heer, to help with the cart, I witnessed the most disgusting display of ill manners, I have not seen the like of before. An elderly woman was riding on her Jazzy machine, right behind my wife, and every time my wife went to move, this lady hit her with the machine, running it into her ankles. After seeing the second hit, I finally got to the area, and I asked the woman if there was a problem with her machine. She told me "No no problem, the b---h in front of me won't get out of the way!" I then told her, that she won't be in the way any longer, that now I would be! After the second time I was hit, I politely told her where I would put the machine. The third time was the last straw. I picked 2 large soup cans and turned around. The woman asked if I was going to hit her, and I replied, "NO, I am going to put your rear axle on these cans, so you cannot run into me any more, in fact you won't move at all!" At this time a young man intervened, saying that his grand mother didn't mean it. I told him his grandmother had better learn some civility, or next time someone else is liable to give her a can upside the head, instead of under the wheels. Quite a few times, I have run into the same mentality at shows. I know not all people are such boors, but they are out there just the same. The same goes for kids. While there are operaters of tractors that are young, and responsible, there are many who are not. Parents who allow kids to ride modern (and not so modern) tractors fast and recklessly, need to be responsible for their actions, as well as the kids. While it is nescessary for some to ride, (Being elderly does have drawbacks, unfortunately), the few reckless ones are driving the entire situation out of control. Unfortunately, most shows have limited space, so 'buggy lanes' are not practical, under present lay-out. Perhaps closer parental (and children) supervision is needed, as well as the policing efforts.
Andrew
Old 02-23-2006, 01:30:40 PM
Subscriber

Now that we have beat this one to death, it would be enjoyable to get back to the original intent of this thread. I, for one, would like to see other people's buggies/creations. Judging from the amount of viewers, it seems to be a popular post. Does anyone else have some pictures to post? I worked on mine a little last night, but nothing new to show at this time. Greg
Old 02-23-2006, 07:13:12 PM
Sky

i have a 1950's Rupp (or i beleive it's a Rupp) mini bike that im in the very last parts of restoration with, i would like to show and ride it at some shows, since im purdy much for old school, i fixed it up old school so it will look very nice when i get done with it, i will post pictures soon i hope.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:16:17 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,483 Times in 515 Posts

hey guys, i've been making some progress on my "rolling scrap heap" and sent craig pics of my progress. i had to wait for a break in the weather but i finally got the platform put together. it took me about 8 hrs to measure, cut, drill, bolt, cut, measure,... but i got it and it should work pretty good. i even got the quadrant and lever hooked up to the belt tensionor. just have to turn up a pulley and put the belt on.

next step will be front axle and steering set up, then water and gas tanks, a seat, set of bearings and hopefully i'll be cruising.

does anyone know what kind of tractor this used to be? as you can see in the pics, i chopped the handles off and hung the platform off of them.

just so everyone knows, you will NEVER catch ME driving down a pedestrian path or flea market area. only on the designated areas for tractors and such.

hopefully i'll be ready for action at NTA. see ya at wauseon!