Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

Bearings for a LA or LB engine

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 1663 times

Old 02-04-2008, 01:34:05 AM
Registered

Default Bearings for a LA or LB engine

Where may I find camshaft and crank bearings for Int. La and LB engines. I have an LB that I am rebuilding and it needs new bearings. I have already sleeved the block and rebuilt the head. Was able to make new valves from 8N tractor ones. Nurled the guides and faced seats. Now to the crank, it is not scored or out-of-round. Clearance on the old bearings seem a little excessive, but could be used the way they are. Not going to be run that much anyway. This sight has taught me a lot about old iron. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Howard skipper
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2008, 01:51:30 AM
Registered-II

Default Re: Bearings for a LA or LB engine

Howard. Hello. I would check some of the sponsors. They will usually have what you are looking for. Check folks like, Starbolts, Hit N Miss. There are others also. They are ALL GOOD FOLKS and will help you out the get what you need and get your engine going again. Hope it works out for you. Let us know.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:52:50 AM
Registered-III

hi howard i am rebuilding an lb also and am in need of some bearing inserts i havent found where i can get any either hopefuly somebody on here knows cody
Old 02-04-2008, 10:02:58 AM
Registered-I

Cody, I got rod bearing inserts from Hit & Miss a couple of years ago, they worked great.

Frank
Old 02-04-2008, 10:45:51 PM
Registered-III

Hello,
I'm also looking to rebuild a LB and will be needing new cam and crank bearings. The old adage "Look on the Sponsors sites" just won't work, as they don't have any and never have had them!!!! (I know as I'm always looking) Why nobody makes them, I don't know as they are a often looked/asked for item here and at shows. I'm to the point where I'm going to make my own.

Thanks!
Richard
Old 02-04-2008, 10:52:22 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,161 Times in 429 Posts

Hit and miss enterprise sells some bearings, Starbolt also does too. I think Starbolt has cheeper prices too. And WAY faster servise that H & M.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:22:22 PM
Registered-II

let me look around i might be able to help you out , pete
Old 02-08-2008, 09:18:31 PM
Registered-III

Hello,
As I said in my above post, Hit-N-Miss and Starbolts don't have crank or cam bearings!!! All Hit-N-Miss has is "Bearing, Rod 1-1/2 to 2-1/2HP". Starbolt has less than 1/2 a page for the LA-LB engines and NO bearings. Hfskipper and I are both looking for crank and cam bearings. Luckily the bearings for both the crank and cam are the same on the 1-1/2-2-1/2 hp. I'm still looking for specs to see just how to make them. I ought to make a bunch of them when I do!

Thanks!
Richard
Old 02-08-2008, 09:33:07 PM
Subscriber

These may be long shots, but you never know what you might find. If you can get the original part #, call an IH dealer and give them the #. I have the # for the 3-5, but not the 1-2.They can run it through their computer and see if it might still be available. Believe it or not, I have gotten some new parts for these before from CaseIH(CNH). If that fails, give NAPA a shot with the part #. Once again I have gotten lucky before with this route on older parts. Sometimes the part was used in a more modern application and may still being produced. I will say that my local NAPA has very experienced staff that is interested in what I do and very willing to help.
Kevin
Old 02-09-2008, 10:51:23 AM
Registered-II

I wonder if the bearings were used in other applications. maybe if one had access to an old parts book they could be cross referenced.
If all else fails, they could be cut from bearing inserts from another engine. Find the correct thickness, file and drill as nessessary, use plastigage to get the final fit.
It has to be easier than pouring babbit. Scout around engine rebuild shops for good used or extra new inserts.

Best,
Mike
Old 04-19-2008, 08:05:31 PM
Registered-III

I need a set too. I tried the CaseIH route, to no avail. The bearings are very similar to kingpin bushings used in trucks, but nothing that any of the bushing manufacturers make is the right size. Clevite makes split bushings like these, but they have nothing to fit. I was thinking of making some out of brass, and just have had other things to do. However, if you do decide to have some made, I would be interested in a set.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:54:54 PM
Subscriber

HI. I work part time for Hit and Miss.We have a lot of the bearings you need.LA-LB.They are used-but good used.Talk to ED.--Ted.