Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Carburetors, Mixers, Fuel Pumps and fuel delivery
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Carburetors, Mixers, Fuel Pumps and fuel delivery Discussion about misc. carbs, mixers, fuel pumps, injectors.

Carburetors, Mixers, Fuel Pumps and fuel delivery

Ultra Sonic Cleaner Solutions

this thread has 17 replies and has been viewed 2860 times

Old 02-24-2015, 07:21:04 PM
Subscriber

Default Ultra Sonic Cleaner Solutions

Just bought a ultra sonic cleaner what solution is best to clean Carburetors.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:16:55 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Ultra sonic cleaner solutions

check this out. Lots of good info. http://cx500forum.com/forum/general-...-solution.html
The Following User Says Thank You to Jake Jacobs For This Post:
Old 02-25-2015, 07:33:39 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,234 Times in 905 Posts

If you clicked on the link provided by jake you'll have seen a lot of opinions on what to use. The best advice is that it is the ultrasonic action that is most important. They work by creating little bubbles that explode against the part your cleaning. Kinda like the bubbles in champagne or even the bubbles in your soda. Since it is heated you need to be careful of the types of solutions you use in here and you are creating dangerous vapors with some solutions. So an aqueous solution would be best but start with the weakest solution and work your way up. If you get the solution to "heavy" it won't bubble properly. Approximately a 5-10% solution would be right. So at 5% that would be 1 qt in 5 gals. The nicest thing about ultrasonics is the bubbles are very small and do a very good job of getting into the smallest areas. And remember your manufacturer should have provided recommendations with the unit. I know these things because the the company I work for sells these and I set them up and service them. We have a very good solution but it is for commercial use and I have no way to sell it to the general public.
The Following User Says Thank You to JSWithers For This Post:
Old 02-25-2015, 09:30:38 AM
Registered-I

This is what I use in my small ultrasonic cleaner and have had great results with it.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_93i0vubavx_b

Dave
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave Otto For This Post:
Old 02-25-2015, 10:35:48 AM
Subscriber

Thanks Dave What ratio do you mix it to.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:45:33 PM
Registered-I

We use Dawn dishwater soap in ours. Works great.

Jon.

---------- Post added at 01:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 PM ----------

One thing to remember:

A cleaner that may work great on one metal may be deadly on another. This is NOT a "one size fits all" question.

I don't think the Dawn becomes deadly with any metal, but some cleaners that are completely safe for cast iron will create noxious fumes with zinc alloy (pot metal) or aluminum. READ THE LABEL ON ANY OF THE EXOTIC STUFF BEFORE USING!

Jon.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carbking For This Post:
Old 02-25-2015, 06:40:15 PM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Otto View Post
This is what I use in my small ultrasonic cleaner and have had great results with it.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_93i0vubavx_b

Dave
I don't measure it but probably about 10-20%. I mix it 50% for the spray bottle and use it around the shop. This is by far the best general purpose cleaner that I have found. It will clean circles around Simple Green and that other purple stuff. Also it is pretty easy on paint; I use it to clean my Machine tools with out any problems.

I used to buy it at Costco but they seem to have quit carrying it, so I just order it from Amazon. Sometimes I can get the 4gal case with free shipping, and that will last me a year or two.

I have cleaned a lot of stuff with it but never a carb; I don't see why it wouldn't work just fine though.

Dave
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Otto For This Post:
Old 02-27-2015, 11:07:44 AM
Subscriber

Thanks Dave that stuff works great . I found it at tractor supply . Will also be using it around the shop
Joe
The Following User Says Thank You to sqm1 For This Post:
Old 06-23-2019, 07:04:11 AM
Registered-I

Default Re: Ultra Sonic Cleaner Solutions

Simple Green with a 5%-10% concentration mix of solution and distilled water. This is a very safe process with no dangerous vapors.
Our ultrasonic cleaners are every size imaginable at my workplace (large medical manufacturing facility) having dozens of small bench top size cleaners to sofa length sizes and even a fully automated super-large size you could fit a small pickup truck through. They are in constant use 24/6. They do a perfect job for cleaning parts from our swiss machining & centerless grinding operations having cutting oils and water-soluble /oil mixtures.

Robt mentions many spot-on notes, and like Robt mentioned, NEVER place anything onto the floor of the sonicator chamber, it will be damaged! Parts are to be suspended inside a plastic or stainless steel mesh or perforated basket while being cleaned. The basket never touches the ultrasonic chamber. Typical cleaning cycle times can be from 15 minutes to 40 minutes depending of job size or cleaner size.
Your carburetors will look like jewelry when done.
The Following User Says Thank You to Target Driller For This Post: