Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

Fairbanks 6HP Z color and serial number help!!!!

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 1160 times

Old 09-30-2009, 11:19:16 PM
Registered-II

Post Fairbanks 6HP Z color and serial number help!!!!

Hello all I have a 6hp Fairbanks Z serial number 539139 and it is red in color it seems to be the original color my Dad bought this engine years ago it has red under bolts every where it seems to be original color ( trying to get picture posted) I was told that this engine was made to be exported overseas but I don't know this for sure can anybody tell me the year of my 6hp Z and alittle about color does this sound right I know these engines are green but I am not sure. Thanks in advance Robert DeBord
The Following User Says Thank You to Robert DeBord For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2009, 12:41:46 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Fairbanks 6HP Z color and serial number help!!!!

535175 -to- 573138.....1923

I have no idea about the Red Paint.

Jim
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Tremble For This Post:
Old 10-01-2009, 11:14:49 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,725 Times in 4,271 Posts
Exclamation Re: Fairbanks 6HP Z color and serial number help!!!!

I have seen a few (4) F/M Z engines with green blocks and red flywheels. They were made for export to Canada, and were sold thru a dealership in upper NY. They were in the 1919 to 1921 range in S/N. F/M also made engines that were supposed to be 'competitive' engines, for use here in the lower 48. These were sold with battery and coil ignition and were painted red. Is your engine battery and coil, or is it mag fired?
Andrew
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Old 10-01-2009, 05:37:04 PM
Registered-III

If it is hit&miss red is correct.
The Following User Says Thank You to Arlie Levy For This Post:
Old 10-01-2009, 08:19:07 PM
Registered-II

Hey guys thanks for the help the engine is a throttler and has a AB-33 mag but this paint looks like it is original I have other engines that are original and you can kinda tell or not if it is original it is red in all possible places down inside the hopper under bolts and it is about 75% finish and the paint is really faded like it is old maybe a very very old restoration but it looks like it has been on it for years try to get picture posted my father had this engine for the last 20 years and it came out of an old barn where it had been in family for years it came with original owners manual so I don't know if it original or not. The best picture I have is of it in a background shot and my camera is messed up maybe I will post it for now maybe make a ID from that picture try to find it and scan it and post it.