Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

heads up!! crime in conversation???

this thread has 24 replies and has been viewed 4311 times

Old 10-01-2009, 02:43:34 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: heads up!! crime in conversation???

woah wait a second here boys... im not bashing this dude or whatever... im just saying look out! ive got several emails from other members saying they looked into this deal themselves.. same thing happened... first he wants to sell, then trade, then part it out, then keep it, then sell it.. make up your mind. as far as im concerned. im done with the guy.

now we here on the stack are more than willing to give advice, opinions, and all the knowledge we can. what im saying is if this guy wants to keep it and fix it for himself, great. if he wants to part it out, good luck. if he wants to sell it, take what you can and run like hell.

but my advise for him, please have SOME mechanical smarts.

end of story.
The Following User Says Thank You to KyleBlankenship For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2009, 07:31:25 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,252 Times in 652 Posts

Well its the guy's engine to do whatever. But the fact is a mans word was his bond. If you commit to something its not fair to string people along with whatever your folly. If you advertise its for sale, SELL IT! Its just plain dishonesty in the hobby and gives it a black eye. I had a similar "dishonest" experiance last weekend at the Kent show. A man who had the HOE chain saw I posted about here for sale on the ground. I looked at it and the rope was hanging out. The guy goes into a ramble about how "sweet and ran" "it idled just like a car" "I had it running last year but I went to pull the rope out the other day and it wont go back" . Well the damn thing hasnt run in I bet 20+ years, had corrosion in the tank, the rewind spring was GONE, carb was a b!tch to get at but someone put it back on missing all kinds of internal parts, had no spark, gas tank gasket was GONE so the tank seam leaked when I filled it,the oil pump drive was GONE. I mean I only paid $20.00 for it and would have still bought it had he not said boo. But why do people have to be so full of BS for a lousy $20.00 sale? People like that really piss me off, and its because they arent collectors at all and just leech off this hobby as junk peddlers who are around simply to peddle their trash for cash at shows instead of flea markets where they belong with all the other Sanford & Sons. Moral of this Kyle, get a bill of sale or something binding from those weasels on big $$ buys to lock yourself in.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:11:20 PM
Registered-II

Not to be mean or anythin but Used to be if a man didnt have something good to say he didnt say anything at all. Sounds like you got a whole lot luckier than you couldve. Theys plenty of fine people with fine motors. Patience is a virtue. It ALWAYS pays off. Better luck on the next one.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:20:14 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,078 Times in 495 Posts

Quote:
Used to be if a man didnt have something good to say he didnt say anything at all
I don't agree. This forum is a community. Here trades are based on trust. Beyond that, if there is a potential problem person in our mist, I appreciate a heads up.
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter For This Post:
Old 10-02-2009, 01:30:27 PM
Subscriber

yeah im not worried about this engine.. i mean holy smokes ive owned and still have handfuls of engines, im definately not loosing sleep. i know when i go to portland and anyother show aor whatever if you strike a deal and say you will be back, a hand shake is all there is to it. when i sell an engine i be as honest as i can tell whats wrong with it that i know of but sometimes i miss a tiny thing here or there, im always willing to give their money back and no hard feelings.

life goes on, bigger and better fish to fry
The Following User Says Thank You to KyleBlankenship For This Post: