Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Carburetors, Mixers, Fuel Pumps and fuel delivery
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Carburetors, Mixers, Fuel Pumps and fuel delivery Discussion about misc. carbs, mixers, fuel pumps, injectors.

Carburetors, Mixers, Fuel Pumps and fuel delivery

Carb dip solutions

this thread has 14 replies and has been viewed 2266 times

Old 07-21-2015, 11:05:19 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,372 Times in 2,702 Posts
Default Carb dip solutions

What is the best dip you have used to soak a neglected carb in. I constantly have people bringing me power equipment bikes and cars with horribly varnished up carbs. I've been using the 1 gallon Berryman bucket which doesn't work half as well as the older recipe.

Whacha using for good results.
*first one that mentions Seafoam gets slapped.
The Following User Says Thank You to I like oldstuff For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2015, 01:08:49 AM
Card Sponsor

Default Re: Carb dip solutions

I buy a product call Zepresto from Zep. It's somewhere around 40.00 a gallon but it is the old good stuff. You have to call Zep it is not sold in the box stores. Jim
Old 07-22-2015, 06:15:43 AM
Registered-II

I boil mine in vinegar and water, maybe a little pine soll to make them smell better. Mike
Old 07-22-2015, 07:07:39 AM
Registered-I

i know sometimes people go alittle to far.i got a marvel carb once the previous owner soaked it till the cast iron body turned white.now i cant keep the thing from rusting inside the throat and bowl.anyone got a cure for that?
Old 07-22-2015, 08:30:28 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,124 Times in 1,928 Posts

Once in a while I get stuff from cleaning out a garage or whatever so I am lucky to have some of the old recipe stuff.
I put some in a center cap from a truck wheel and then put that in the solution in the ultrasonic cleaner and that is how I have the best luck cleaning carbs.Dont put the chemical right into the ultrasonic cleaner. it will ruin it quickly.
Methyl Ethel keytone is what I use to break loose gelled fuel in carb screens.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:37:15 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,725 Times in 4,271 Posts

Berkbile 2+2 carb cleaner. it's the only stuff I have found that will remove most gum and varnish. BE AWARE that most carbs with 'white rust' on the aluminum are beyond repair. That is why replacements have become so cheap - the crap E-10 destroys aluminum and certain plastic and neoprene componants. NFG! Now, many manufacturers are coating the aluminum with a protective sealant that is removed by carb solvents. Strip the seal, and the carb will be toast in short order. Big thing now is a plain dish detergent in HOT water, placed in a ultrasonic cleaner. Won't damage the protectant, and will get most crud out in about 20 minutes. If phase separated gas has been left in the older aluminum or iron carbs, it will cause a galvanic (battery) action between the aluminum or iron and the brass componants (like jets, floats and the gas needle and seat) This galvanic action will destroy the brass, eat the aluminum (sacrificial metal). It will make the metals soft, and porous.

Kyletupper 1 - alcoholized fuel and humidity probable causes, and the surface of the iron is porous (microscopic holes) allowing humidity and the alcohol to start rust. 2 things to try - 1) dis-assemble the carb and have it media blasted with walnut shell. and 2) use high test fuel. it won't degrade as fast as regular crap E-10, and it certainly has less alky in it. The soft media blasting will tend to seal the surface a bit, without gouging the softened material. be sure to clean thoroughly before re-assembly.
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Old 07-22-2015, 04:58:43 PM
Banner Sponsor

Concerning the above rusting post. Cast iron that rust immediately from my experience has generally been exposed to muriatic acid or something along those lines. Not only does it remove the rust it eats the ferrous metal too and leaves it ready to oxidize/rust asap. The simplest thing to do in my opinion is to dip it in mild phosphoric acid for 15 minutes or so. Do this with the flash rust on it but I would remove any scale first. It will change the rust to a oxidized coating and provide a sort of protection from further corrosion. It is not fool proof and it will rust again when exposed to water( or in todays world, gasoline with alcohol(water)) long enough but it does lengthen the life. You can get that kind of stuff usually at a hardware store or paint place. It is used to prepare metal for painting. I do not assume any liability for this, you should follow package directions, gloves, eye protection, etc.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:59:41 PM
Registered

What you are looking for is AC Delco x66p for liquid in pints x66q in quarts or x66a for a spray this is the same stuff that you got in the carb dip cans about 30 years ago. You can get this from parts stores that handle AC Delco or you can go to a GM dealer.
Old 07-23-2015, 06:29:00 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,480 Times in 771 Posts

Goto Walmart pharmacy and buy 90% rubbing alcohol, an excellent solvent for varnish.
White vinegar is also very good, but you need to limit the time and rinse it very well. I have used both and they are cheap. Vinegar can, if you leave it too long eat carb metal. But long here would be many hours.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:23:22 PM
Registered

If you can get all the rubber parts out of the carb. first, I've used acetone successfully. That, and a small stiff brush, and perhaps some .032" safety wire for the holes and passages. You can follow up with spray carb. cleaner.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:27:48 AM
Registered-I

i have no idea what it was soaked in

---------- Post added at 05:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:24 AM ----------

has any one tryed air plane gas? i hear its booze free to.i think its kinda expensive though
Old 07-29-2015, 11:52:22 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,577 Times in 687 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by I like oldstuff View Post
...Whacha using for good results.
*first one that mentions Seafoam gets slapped.
OK, dumb question of the day : What's the beef with Sea foam?

PD
The Following User Says Thank You to Pete Deets For This Post:
Old 08-01-2015, 11:09:02 AM
Registered-I

Acetone and a scrub brush first for the varnish and oily stuff.

You can use Liquid Plumber if its made of cast iron, it will eat and strip all tar, oil, varnish and paint.

Vinegar for rust and some forms of buildup. You can safely leave a rusted solid part in the vinegar for weeks.

Ferric Chloride is good for brass and copper parts. Be careful not to leave it in there too long.

Be sure to rinse the part thoroughly under running water in between each chemical dip.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:13:12 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,372 Times in 2,702 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Deets View Post
OK, dumb question of the day : What's the beef with Sea foam? PD

People see it as the panacea to repair anything due to it's superhuman properties.

It's just naptha, kerosene and dye.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:05:33 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,577 Times in 687 Posts

Thanks. I was just wondering if it caused real damage or if it was merely smart marketing of common ingredients. Much appreciated.....PD