Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Wood Shop and Projects
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Wood Shop and Projects Engine Skids & Carts, Pattern Making, General wood shop projects and tools.

Wood Shop and Projects

Harbor Freight

this thread has 35 replies and has been viewed 4262 times

Old 03-29-2017, 07:36:26 PM
Registered-III

Default Harbor Freight

I want to purchase a belt sander for occasional use I'm used to quality my radial arm saw DEWALT my table saw DEWALT my saws all DEWALT what you all think about there belt sanders I've
heard nothing but bad about ther tools.

Ronny
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2017, 07:52:35 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Harbor freight

Go buy a DEWALT !
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Tremble For This Post:
Old 03-29-2017, 07:52:36 PM
Subscriber

If you're using Dewalt tools, you'll have no problem with Harbor Freight!
Seriously, for occasional use I've had no problems.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:56:22 PM
Registered-III

I like DEWALT always bought quality just sanding pallet wood occasionally .

thanks Jim and neverfear .

Ronny
The Following User Says Thank You to ronny p 148 For This Post:
Old 03-29-2017, 08:03:41 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,365 Times in 2,699 Posts

Was there today and looked at them and the staff plugged a couple in for me. Not much power as it took a while to spool up. The disc wobbles as the face wasn't true to the bore. The rollers for the belt resemble cam lobes as far as being round. Gotta throw out a big NOPE on these.

On the other hand I'm a glutton for punishment. I bought a 3/8 air impact. $10 with a discount coupon. This thing leaks air from everywhere.
The Following User Says Thank You to I like oldstuff For This Post:
Old 03-29-2017, 08:11:03 PM
Registered-III

If there so much trouble with most of what they sell how do they stay in business ?

Ronny
Old 03-29-2017, 08:13:38 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,365 Times in 2,699 Posts

Because I'm single handedly keepin them afloat?
The Following User Says Thank You to I like oldstuff For This Post:
Old 03-29-2017, 08:21:43 PM
Registered-III

oil stuff do you surf the stack site how did you know I posted here I see you all the time off subject seems harbor freight has issues with most of what they sell.

Ronny

---------- Post added at 08:15:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:13:46 PM ----------

Ole saying you usually get what you pay for except my paint job on my pickup .

Ronny

---------- Post added at 08:20:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15:30 PM ----------

oil stuff do you surf the stack site how did you know I posted here I see you all the time off subject seems harbor freight has issues with most of what they sell.

Ronny

---------- Post added at 08:21:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20:06 PM ----------

darn posted it twice.

Ronny
Old 03-29-2017, 09:20:17 PM
Registered-III

I have an old belt sander my dad had he gave it to me you cant buy belts for it so he said I could have it I called I think NORTON abrasives company I think it was them and they made custom belts you just measure they tell you how and they custom make size you need this was quite a few years ago .This sander is powerful enough it will pull a car and not stall its old maybe 80 years old only thing it take two hands to hold it .

Ronny
Old 03-29-2017, 09:27:59 PM
Registered-II

I have one of HF's combination belt/disk sander. Had it a couple of years. Runs true and quiet. Not very powerful but does OK. It has many hours of run time on it with no problems. Even planed a Kubota tractor cylinder head one time.
Their own sanding belts are crap. Glue at the seams falls apart quick.
I'd give it a very favorable rating.
HF's return/exchange policy is good so I don't see how it could hurt to try.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:32:10 PM
Registered-III

here's picture of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	023.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	278824   Click image for larger version

Name:	022.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	278825  
Old 03-29-2017, 10:32:28 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,938 Times in 2,061 Posts

What I've found about HF tools is that it varies from model to model. I have some that I simply love, others are just crap. Their power hand planer is crap. Their portable hand bandsaw is one of my favorite tools (once I put a real 24tpi metal cutting blade on it.) I love my wratcheting box wrenches, their air nibbler and my 20 ton bottle jack. Their cheapo plug in drill is crap (no torque, stalls on long drywall screws driven in soft wood.) I got over 2500 hours out of my first 3200 W -4000 peak- Predator generator. ( Brushes bad, got two sets from china for $5. Now a spare.) Have just over a thousand hours on second. Their Predator engines have a STRONG following among the go kart and minibike market and parts are no problem for the smaller models. Their cargo straps are crap. Their winches a good value for price, but no way equal to a Warn or other top brands.
I own a Dewalt surface planer, but paid real money for it. My HF tabletop saw is okay, easily equal to the last Delta tabletop saw I bought, but certainly not equal to a Jet.
Point being... For the price, give them a try. If you just want to sand dirt off pallet wood before running it through your saw or planer then it might be okay. Alternately go by a Home Depot and check out a few more brands.
Some people aren't happy without toolboxes full of snapon tools. I can't afford that. Instead I have toolboxes full of HF tools. May not be the best, but at least I have them when I need them.
Doc
Old 03-30-2017, 12:03:03 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,146 Times in 2,048 Posts
Default Re: Harbor Freight

I've found the HF tools to be both good and bad. The 220V mig welder is still working after 14 years, but then it does not get used a lot either, just a few projects per year. The 4.5 inch grinder is a good deal, I have 4 of them, 1 each for wire wheel, grinder, cut-off wheel, flapper disk. The polished (like S-O) wrenches are pretty good, I have a set of those in my scrap picking set, have yet to spring a jaw, but then at my age I also know when to use the box end or get a socket. Things that I've found to be junk are all the 3 jaw pullers, all the C-clamps and most of their "machine" tools.

I have one of the belt/disc sanders in my to-do pile, it showed up at the scrap yard a few years back in pretty decent shape but with a bad motor, I pitched the motor and paid $10 for the rest. I just wanted it for the belt sander part, but better projects keep getting in the way, I'm currently working on my second Walker-Turner drill press.

I have a theory on why some of their tools last forever, yet most die quickly. The good tools were made by the new employee, he took the time to file off that burr, add the extra piece of tape to keep the wire from chafing, carefully installed the bearing, etc. If he was lucky he made it a week before being canned for being too slow and sent back to the farm to feed the pigs. So next time you get a good HF tool you can thank poor little Hop Sing
Old 03-30-2017, 07:37:13 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,496 Times in 1,647 Posts

I think HF tools are a bit better quality now than they were 15 years ago. Conversely, I think some of the other brands have lowered their quality. I remember when Black and Decker was the premium. I think I'd rather have a HF item than a BD item now.

HF tools have been sold here in KY for a long time. Their first store is here in Kentucky, Lexington Store #1, and now they have a number of others in the state.

I've always said if someone is going to try to make a living with their tools, then go with the professional, industrial brands such as Mac, Snap On, Milwaukee, and others. If you need an occasional tool to do a job then you can give HF a try.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:26:51 PM
Registered-I

Sometimes a "disposable" Harbor Fright tool is the right choice for a specific job, but belt sanders need to be precision made or the belt tracking adjustment won't hold true and you can go nuts trying to keep it adjusted while you're working. Will the sander you buy be reliable? Dunno. Big quality variation at HF. Harbor Fright is OK for a cheap bottle jack, or a small side-grinder, but I stay away from anything that requires precision. Nothing aggravates me more than a tool that fails during an already frustrating job.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:49:59 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,880 Posts

HF experience:
Dremel equivalent. POS. low power, loose bearings. Best thing is attachments, which fit real Dremel

Chicago Electric variable speed oscillating saw. Excellent. Used a lot on some tough projects. Replacement blades at as good or better than what big box sells and less than 1/2 the price.

0-150 ft pound torque wrench. POS. Very inaccurate. Reads over 25% low. Good as a breaker bar.

Little LED flashlights- often free. Work good if you use 3 1.2 volt rechargeable batteries. I have over 100 hours on one. Led's start burning out in about 10 hours if you use 1.5 volt alkaline.

Red Centech digital VOM- often free. Most are accurate against my Fluke. Good 1.5 and 9 V battery tester. I like the on/off switch, saves running meter thru range to turn it off. Range switch is what wears out on my good meters. have looked inside, and compared to a good meter. In my opinion, protection is lacking. Some traces are too close for higher voltages. The range switch goes to 750 VAC and 1000 VDC. No way would I use this meter over 240 volts. I keep one in car for voltage testing, one at workbench for general use, saving wear on my good meters, which I use when I need to know exact voltage.

HF screwdrivers- I do not own any, but friend does. Have used them at his place a few times. Handles are too thin for me. They seem ok for occasional light duty use. He also keeps a set in his truck.

HF sockets- again do not own any, have used friends. He also keeps a set in his truck. Ratchet handle is thin. Socket metal seems soft. OK for light duty use. Do not try to undo a rusted bolt, socket head will round out, making it useless. I would not count on using them to make roadside repairs on an older vehicle that has some rust.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:09:24 PM
Registered-III

Thanks everyone I'm just going to have belts made for my dads I have Its a craftsman when they had good electric tools.

Ronny
Old 03-30-2017, 10:19:02 PM
Registered-I

Dewalt may have a good name but guess were a lot of the tools are made.No not the good old USA were they should be made but you guessed it China.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:45:13 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,146 Times in 2,048 Posts

Ronny
If you have a Craftsman belt sander I'd bet Norton makes a belt to fit it, you just need to figure out width and length. If its a real old one its probably a good one, I use to have an 80's-early 90's Craftsman belt sander, all pot metal and plastic, compared to that one the HF belt sander looks pretty beefy.

Another good tool from HF is the blind hole bearing puller set, its not a $ cheap tool (unless you compare it to the Snap-On model), but it works well for those situations where grease/bread just won't work. Used mine tonight on a job that would have made most people cry, ezee peezee popped that bearing right out.

Although I gave the 4.5" grinders a thumbs up, stay away from the HF grinding wheels and cut-off discs, and the hypodermic needle slingers labeled "wire wheels".
Old 03-31-2017, 08:13:09 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,496 Times in 1,647 Posts

A lot of companies have become quite crafty at the "made in the USA" label. We have a local plant that has two haves of its product made overseas. Once they arrive they are put together with a few screws and the "made in the USA from global products" label goes on. The screws may be the only USA product used. You'll also often see the "assembled in the USA" label on products. Very similar to the prior statement.