eBay Auctions
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > eBayŠ Auction Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

eBayŠ Auction Discussion All eBay™ discussion; engines, frauds, fancies, weird stuff and more.

eBayŠ Auction Discussion

warning for ebay sellers who use paypal

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 3503 times

Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 11:43:48 PM
Registered-III

Angry warning for ebay sellers who use paypal

Hi, I thought I would pass on some info that I learned the hard way (by losing money!) If you sell items on ebay and use paypal you may not be aware of paypal's policy of refunding the sellers payment. After having problems with a few overseas shipments I have talked with someone in management thru paypals dispute resolution.
Paypal requires that items have an online tracking number (as well as signature confirmation for items over 250.00) no matter where it is shipped to- even foreign countries. Their policy also states that the online tracking must show it was actually delivered to their confirmed address or the buyer will get a full refund (purchase price, handling fees and shipping) which then is debited out of the sellers account. Long story short, even if you purchase delivery confirmation and the postal service does not scan it as being delivered-buyer gets their money back- no matter what. USPS does not even have delivery confirmation to other countries, so you guesssed it- if they file for non receipt of goods in a week on an item mailed surface mail that will possibly take a month or more to get there- the buyer gets a full refund since you do not have online tracking info stating it was delivered. Other proof of shipment is not considered, customs declaration stamped by the post office, insurance slip, or delivery confirmation does not matter, the only thing they accept as proof is online tracking info stating it was delivered to their address. I have a feeling some of the foreign customers have figured this out and are using the loophole against the sellers. Maybe I will have to start using UPS for all my shipments even though they break everything. Molly
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2005, 02:20:42 AM
In Memory Of

Default Re: warning for ebay sellers who use paypal

Hated to do it but that is why I do NOT sell out of the USA- sorry, I just don't like to give away the $$$$$$$$$$$$. Michael
Old 12-29-2005, 05:07:58 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 2,164 Times in 756 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasengin
Hi, I thought I would pass on some info that I learned the hard way (by losing money!) If you sell items on ebay and use paypal you may not be aware of paypal's policy of refunding the sellers payment. After having problems with a few overseas shipments I have talked with someone in management thru paypals dispute resolution.
snipped
Molly
We buy a lot of stuff from the USA, in fact had a small Eisemann catalog turn up in the post this morning from an ebay auction, but we have never had any problems at all with overseas shipping.

Most of our stuff is sent Global Priority at our request, and turns up here within 5-6 days after sending. Most expensive items was $500+ and that went by Media Mail!

PayPal does have different rules for diffferent countries though, so as I am based in the UK the rules for us may differ, or YMMV as you guys say :-))

Happy New Year

Peter
Old 12-29-2005, 12:18:15 PM
Registered-III

This initial message was meant for sellers that may not understand Paypal rules. We sure didn't. By looking at how other seller are listing their shipping information, they don't understand this either. As an honest buyer, this really doesn't affect you too much. I didn't mean to imply that all overseas buyers are a problem. 99% of our sale are no problem at all. I hope no one took it that way. Because of the high cost of overseas shipping, we have tried to give the buyer the choice depending on how quick they wanted the item. From here on out, we will have to ship with a company (like UPS) that has intransit and delivery tracking. This will be more expensive especially to the buyer that is not in a rush to get the item. We have shipped overseas for several years with no problem untill recently. Luckily, our losses were not great, but the potential is there. It is important for sellers that accept Paypal to understand that they are repsonsible for the delivery of the item even if the buyer wants to send it the least expensive way and not get insurance.

The reason we suspect a couple buyers of working the loophole is we were getting email saying the item had not arrived before there was any possible way the item could have been delivered. It appeared they were setting up the ground work to say it had not been delivered even before it could have been delivered.
Merlin

Last edited by Gasengin; 12-29-2005 at 04:33:21 PM.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:28:19 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,698 Times in 1,543 Posts

Yep. No doubt - Paypal has been set up to favor the buyer in all transactions. I always use it when I can as a buyer, but NEVER as a seller.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:09:55 AM
Registered-I

Same here for me as a UK resident Jim! Buy on PayPal but I don't take it myself to avoid hassle and PP taking some of my hard earned!!!

Happy (aproaching) New Year to you alll!!!
Old 12-30-2005, 05:48:27 PM
Registered-II

I have heard it is hard to get your money back through paypal as a buyer. This winter i started accepting postal or bank m/o only. Didn't bother to sign up for paypal. Don't want them wanna be money orders either like the ones issued in a vending machine!
Old 12-30-2005, 06:21:40 PM
In Memory Of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Clark
Same here for me as a UK resident Jim! Buy on PayPal but I don't take it myself to avoid hassle and PP taking some of my hard earned!!!

Happy (aproaching) New Year to you alll!!!
One thing you forget, PayPal gives you the opportunity to accept credit card payments over the net, something you could not get without a merchant account with a credit card, and you would not get that at all as an individual.

While the commission may seem like a lot, why should PayPal provide the facilities, exchange and other items for free? You don't sniff at ebay's fees or your own bank charges come to that, why have a pop at PayPal?

I use the service both for buying and for selling, and I have no problem with it at all, my only concern is with the current requirement to register a bank account with them, something I would not do and don't need to as I have been with them prior to this requirement coming in.

While my credit card companies monitor my card expenditure and flag up any unusual outgoings, my bank doesn't, so I'll keep it all on the cards for now.

Peter
Old 01-05-2006, 03:07:28 PM
Subscriber

Hi Peter,

Sorry mate, I've got to disagree with you here. PayPal is just flat greedy on their commercial account commision. You ask why they should process transactions, allow credit cards, etc. "for free"? Where did you get the idea that their services were free? Think about the money sitting in PayPal accounts. Do they pay interest on that money? No. Do they EARN interest on that money? Hell yes! Want more? Consider the "float" on money extracted from your credit card or checking account and not yet available for withdrawel by the person it was paid to. The PayPal folks ain't hurting; just greedy.

See ya, Arnie
Old 01-06-2006, 11:23:05 AM
In Memory Of

Good day Arnie :-))

You will have noticed that I referred to credit card handling, not general account charges. You will not get that for free anywhere and I feel that they charge a reasonable amount of money for the service.

As far as user's funds sitting in PayPal accounts, I certainly don't leave any money in mine, and I hope you don't either, after all, there's no interest on it while it's sitting there.....

Peter
Old 02-16-2006, 11:30:56 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schlag
Hated to do it but that is why I do NOT sell out of the USA- sorry, I just don't like to give away the $$$$$$$$$$$$. Michael
Your a great seller and a great guy Michael, I hated to see you do it also .

Take care, Trent.

P.S. My first post #1
Closed Thread