Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

Florida Flywheelers Show in February

this thread has 14 replies and has been viewed 9800 times

Old 01-22-2008, 01:18:33 AM
Registered-II

Default Florida Flywheelers Show in February

Hi folks,

I'm heading for Florida in mid Feb. and am thinking of visiting the Florida Flywheelers show. How big of a show is it? Is it all show, or swap meet too? Any input you can give me would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2008, 04:13:35 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Florida Flywheelers Show in February

Have not been to it myself, however do have a 74 yr old engine friend here that says it is a show you must see at least once. Many buildings with incredible collections and displays. Since Florida is such a focused retirement area, many of the skilled craftsman are located there, and have brought their prizes with them. I intend on being there !!

Enjoy the show !
Old 01-22-2008, 07:59:38 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,169 Times in 341 Posts
Arrow Re: Florida Flywheelers Show in February

February is our show but there is swaping & selling also. 240 acreas of just about any kind of antiques you can think of. Lots of engines, tractors, model T & A cars and trucks. Complete antique village with full operational saw mill run by steam engine. Blacksmith shop, Church, Antique Gas Station, Entertainment building, Lots of building's with nice displays, Cushman scooter club, A few Antique motorcycles, Antique tractor & Horse pulls with stadium seating, large flea market, Model T & A shop that actually works on the cars & trucks. Womens craft building, Lots of wood work & crafts, RV & tent camping. Golf cart rentals. If you go to our website listed below you will find a lot of info. Go to the photo section and look at last February show pic's.

Down side: Lots of golf carts and moving vehicles on the grounds. some of the engines are spread out over the entire 240 acrea.

http://www.floridaflywheelers.org/

Have Fun!
Old 01-22-2008, 10:34:38 AM
Registered-II

Yes it is very big, SHOULD you get lost. look for someone either carrying or trailoring a "golf" cart. follow them. old but good walking shoes. (you can't get the dust off) you will smuge new shoes.
i prefer this show to other florida shows. swap meet was this month.
if you have a G.P.S. do not forget it. or print out driving directions on your computer "NOW". there is no one to ask out there. and when you arrive. you will say to your self. "wow, where did this many people come from".
lots of engine related stuff, kind of nice, you will enjoy you day.
for gas engines, blue mountain, in Bangor, pennsylvania, is tops.
Dan
Old 01-22-2008, 10:30:40 PM
Registered-II

Thanks for the replies! It sounds like this show is on par with the Midwest Old Threshers Reunion in Mt. Pleasant, Iowa.

I'll be looking forward to the show!
Old 01-23-2008, 10:14:11 AM
Registered-II

Don't forget the week after that show is Pioneer Park Days in Zolfo Springs, FL, another great Florida show. Feb. 27th through March 2nd.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:47:28 AM
Subscriber

I was at last year's show for the first time. Had a great time! The lunch lines were a bit long, but the fried catfish and crab cakes were as good as the better resturants. Got to help start the big snow engine - that was a hoot. I've already made reservations to go again this year, flying down from Iowa.
Big Jim
Old 12-06-2012, 09:53:11 AM
Registered-I

Attending my first the 16th to 19th of Feb.

Looking also for anyone who can put me on to a separator for my antique corn mill. Look for an old white headed fellow with a tee shirt that says "grandpa's cornmeal" Dawsonville, GA
Old 12-06-2012, 10:13:35 AM
Subscriber

Hello Dollystorm. We'll be set up on spaces 11 &12 rows 1 & 2 in the engine section. Stop by and say hi when your there.
FL
Old 12-06-2012, 10:53:43 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,662 Times in 1,062 Posts

My dad gave our youngest son a Maytag as his first engine.....I think he did that just to taunt me because I am not a big Maytag fan, but our son LOVES his new engine and is begging me to take him on Friday and Saturday so that he can display his prized engine. I will take him at least on Saturday because of work/school, but we will try to make it both days and I thought I would share his joy with everyone on how he likes it to smoke so I will bring extra oil for the gas and we will find a spot up-wind of everyone so we all can share his love of his new stinky smoking Maytag that Dad calls daily to ask me if he has "fogged" yet for bug control in our neighborhood knowing that I am not a fan and him laughing the entire time!!!

I am amazed though how proud a 10 year old boy can be to show anyone interested his own engine. He can start it, but he doesn't weigh enough to really give it a good kick so it takes him a few tries to get it started.

Here he is trying to start his engine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZULL6UmAt4

Last edited by Jeff Smith; 12-06-2012 at 08:07:19 PM. Reason: Added youtube link
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Smith For This Post:
Old 12-06-2012, 12:19:04 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,912 Times in 2,469 Posts

Zolfo Springs Fla,is a nice show!! Mom and Dad always went to this if he was not sick! I know he took his Leader Pump down there one year and they sold books,etc... Maybe someday as a spectator I will get there...But for the northern folks going down there dont forget to get some Roasted Pecans that are sold by the road in some places,for me and your good freinds back home WOW those where good.....
Old 12-06-2012, 02:45:32 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,503 Times in 655 Posts

Hey Jeff you could bring the Case and run the Maytag exhaust up the stack, then no one would notice the smoke. lol

I should be there on Friday for sure and maybe Saturday.
It is a fun show but it is really spread out! I have been going the last 5 or 6 years and I still don't think that I have seen everything.

Steve
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Kunz For This Post:
Old 12-06-2012, 06:51:37 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 9,597 Times in 1,654 Posts

If all things go well I will show there for the first time. Bringing 3 models and a 1/4 H.P hit and miss...Hope too see you all there!!! Fred

Engine movies can be seen at: pileofiron
Old 12-07-2012, 01:03:44 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,662 Times in 1,062 Posts

I'm cleaning out the garage again so make sure to bring money or items to trade........... I prefer STEAM related items.......

Old 12-09-2012, 10:08:03 AM
Registered-II

Went to the show once a couple years ago as part of a Florida trip. My suggestion- get there early and reserve a golf cart online ahead of time. I didn't get to see nearly all the show. Huge