Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

6HP Fairbanks Morse trouble starting

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 1652 times

Old 09-29-2009, 11:06:27 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,164 Times in 305 Posts
Default 6HP Fairbanks Morse trouble starting

I have a 6hp Fairbanks Morse, ignitor fired, that is giving me some trouble starting. This engine is my second engine and I purchased it about a month ago. It has good compression, the fuel pump puts gas in the carb, and I am able to get gas out of the bottom of the carb when holding my hand over the whole. I originally thought I had an issue with fuel not getting to the cylinder head but I pulled the carb today and there are no clogs. The magneto is currently at a shop getting the magnets recharged. I am currently supplying the ignitor with a 12 volt lawn mower battery attached to a coil out of an old chevy (coil is new and I am only using the to small fittings on the top of the coil). I do have spark at the ignitor (small and blue) not sure how big the spark is supposed to be, but it looks adequate. I have even gone to the extreme to spray a little starter fluid into the cylinder for trouble shooting purposes. I am able to get a small pop and that is it. I also opened up the throttle in many different positions none which seem to work. As far as I can tell the valves work properly. This engine appears to not have sat long. There is no rust in any of the moving parts and no dirt/dust or indicators of sitting around for a long time (and the guy i bought it from allegedly had it running). Anyway I am guessing I am doing something wrong, hopefully something small somewhere. Any advice or help would be appreciated. I am fairly new with this but have a pretty good mechanical apptitude. Thanks in advance!!
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2009, 06:04:28 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: 6HP Fairbanks Morse trouble starting

Hello,
When starting my 6hp Z I open the needle valve 3/4 to 1 turn, if I am trying to start an engine I am not familiar with I usually start at 1/4 turn out and gradually increase until I get a response. Mine will flood fairly easily and requires a good amount of drying out before it will start again, also be careful that you don't ever release the intake valve while the starter crank is still on the engine if you are using one, as these do not have a retard mechanism and will happily kick back.
Don
The Following User Says Thank You to d2m1 For This Post:
Old 09-30-2009, 08:13:52 AM
Registered-III

Sounds like it is flooded. Good luck in a good hobby, j\Joe Morris
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Morris For This Post:
Old 09-30-2009, 09:24:37 AM
Subscriber

My fm 6 hp ignitor floods easy also, but mine has a retard and run lever on it. The sparks sounds about right. The mag has to be timed with the ignitor, if it's not right it won't start.

Brad
The Following User Says Thank You to Case441 For This Post:
Old 09-30-2009, 10:45:00 AM
Subscriber

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Flooded would make sense. I also thought about this alot last night and was thinking I may need to pump the gas out of the tank and start over with clean gas. Thanks again.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:50:53 AM
Subscriber

Brad, is the retard and run lever you are refering to the lever which keeps the fuel pump from pumping, or is this something else?? Thanks.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:21:48 PM
Subscriber

We had some trouble with a weak ignitor spring. Tie a string to the ignitor arm and have someone pull a little on it in the direction the spring wants to close it. This is all we needed to get it going. The points weren't closing so no spark was developed.

If that's it you will have to wind a new spring.
The Following User Says Thank You to John Hamilton For This Post:
Old 09-30-2009, 08:44:48 PM
Registered-III

I believe the start/run lever equipped engines were the ones with the plugoscillator, in this configuration the magneto is mounted on the ignitor bracket. My engine has the sumter mag that is mounted between the flywheels. The start/run lever on the plugoscillator engine is on the igniter/mag trip lever if I am not mistaken.I forgot to ask which mag setup you have.
Don
Old 09-30-2009, 09:15:52 PM
Subscriber

It has the sumter mag