Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shows, Swaps, Announcements > Shows and Swap Meets
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Shows and Swap Meets Announcements, reviews, photos, movies and discussion about antique engine and tractor shows and swaps.

Shows and Swap Meets

2011 Le Sueur Minnesota Swap Meet

this thread has 86 replies and has been viewed 20827 times

Old 05-04-2011, 12:31:22 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: 2011 Le Sueur Minnesota Swap Meet

We had a good swap as well. Sold lots of stuff on Friday and believe it or not, a lot while it was raining Saturday morning. Managed to buy just as much stuff as I sold so the trailer was just as full on the way home. Missed out on a really nice original condition Rock Island Letz Burr Mill. (Matt- did you pick that one up?) Oh well.

Once again, thank you to all the club members and the loader operators for making this an enjoyable event even in adverse weather conditions.

In regards to your comments Tony, I fell very strongly that the Thursday 5pm gate opening should remain as is. If it starts any earlier, I truly believe that vendors will start leaving on Friday night and Saturday morning and that will kill the swap. Saturday brings out a whole different crowd and they tend be more open with their wallets. If they don't attend anymore because all the vendors left, we've lost a whole demographic of people who can't or aren't willing to come on Thursday or Friday. We need new blood to keep our old iron habits fed. That new blood usually attends on Saturday because they are working on Friday.

Plus, who doesn't get a rush of excitement everytime a new trailer pulls in on Thursday?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to moline101 For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2011, 02:03:28 PM
Subscriber

No I dident get that one. I looked at it and he was asking $250 for it. I am way to cheap for that. Mine is a waterbary hardware model.

I am torn on the early open thing I see both sides of the debate. I do think that the vendors would have stuck around for Saterday better if the forcast wasent so bad. I know we would have. What is the differance if all the vending is done in the parking lot or on the grounds?
Old 05-04-2011, 08:03:04 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 8,198 Times in 1,343 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by moline101 View Post
If it starts any earlier, I truly believe that vendors will start leaving on Friday night and Saturday morning and that will kill the swap.

Wow,
After attending for 20 years, I cannot imagine thinking that anything would destroy the swap. Weather permitting, Friday and Saturday will always be the big days.
I was merely shooting for some more set-up time
Hundreds of us are there for four days or more (I do not leave until Sunday afternoon) it would be much nicer to spend less of it in the parking lot where we cannot set up.
Tony

---------- Post added at 07:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 PM ----------

[QUOTE=oldironlindy;639559
What is the differance if all the vending is done in the parking lot or on the grounds?[/QUOTE]

HHHUUUUMMMMMmmmmm
The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Thompson For This Post:
Old 05-04-2011, 10:54:02 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,073 Times in 296 Posts

I think you have all convinced me that I will make the long trip next year to Le Sueur. Is it always the last weekend in April?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Will Batty For This Post:
Old 05-04-2011, 11:44:17 PM
Registered-I

Sorry, I wasn't intending to attack your post. I enjoy this event so much that I worry about things that may impact its' popularity.
I can certainly see where a little extra time would help some of the vendors get set up before dark.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to moline101 For This Post:
Old 05-05-2011, 08:50:44 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,365 Times in 352 Posts

[QUOTE=Will Batty;639730]I think you have all convinced me that I will make the long trip next year to Le Sueur. Is it always the last weekend in April?[/QUOTE
Hi Will,
Yes, it is always the last full weekend in April. This year it got pushed a week later due to Easter being late.

Next years dates are: April 27 - 29, 2012.

Dave
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dave Preuhs For This Post:
Old 05-05-2011, 06:33:40 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 8,198 Times in 1,343 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by moline101 View Post
Sorry, I wasn't intending to attack your post. I enjoy this event so much that I worry about things that may impact its' popularity.
I can certainly see where a little extra time would help some of the vendors get set up before dark.

No worries mate!
I did not take your opinion as an attack...more like a curve ball I guess. That is what the forums are all about, many folks have different opinions to share and we can usually learn from each other during these healthy discussions.
I look forward to meeting you in person some day as I am sure we have more in common than not.
I too am very fond of the big swap...I just do not like being stuck the parking lot when we could be inside the gates setting up at a much more reasonable pace without the big rude rush in the last of the daylight.
Thanks,
Tony
The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Thompson For This Post: