Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators. When asking new questions about your generator, ALWAYS give your model number AND serial number.

Onan Generators

So California Power Outage

this thread has 29 replies and has been viewed 3583 times

Old 09-09-2011, 10:27:40 AM
Registered-II

Default So California Power Outage

Well, I had a chance to really test my $50 6.5 NH last night. Much of So Cal was without power for about 12 hours. Genny ran without a glitch. Wifey was happy to have lights and the entertainment system working, as well as cold drinks. The neighbor who had to listen to the genny run got a power cord to his fridge, he was happy to have cold beer. Sometimes other neighbors look at me funny, always wrenching and tinkering in the garage. They get it now...
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to lijobi For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2011, 11:38:00 AM

Thanked 16,763 Times in 7,765 Posts
Default Re: So Cal power outage

It's amazing how many friends you have when the power goes out,and you have a genset.
The Following User Says Thank You to Billy J Shafer For This Post:
Old 09-09-2011, 12:13:02 PM
Registered-II

In a disaster this is what happens with Ham radio (AMATEUR RADIO) also, when all the little keyboards that talk to the wall socket and the 3g/cell system that actually only communicates a few blocks and has the ability to be shut down by a third party, gives out either initially through overloading or after a few hours/days when backup power gives out for a power hungry system. Katrina showed how far we have fallen when that area had virtually no ham communications unlike the 50/60's when communications was established every where almost immediately by a bunch of trained, resourceful and government encouraged (distributed private system verses centralized government takeover of emergency services) communications. The local government does help with some coordination but relies heavily on VHF/UHF instead of long distance short wave which is usually the actual breakdown. Sorry to hijack this thread but your comments about your neighbors only appreciating the noise during an emergency reminds me of the city councils and citizens trying to ban ham towers and then screaming when disaster strikes and nanny government can't fix it right away. Add a ham license and short wave transmitter to your generator and hope you don't have to be a hero when the "big one" strikes. At least find a ham who might use help keeping the power on in your neighborhood and coordinate with him in a disaster. "q"
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to qsmx440 For This Post:
Old 09-09-2011, 06:35:22 PM
Registered-II

Smile....Charlie ....KA5SRB
Old 09-09-2011, 07:32:44 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy J Shafer View Post
It's amazing how many friends you have when the power goes out,and you have a genset.
Really this is so true,during Irene the neighbors that "never" have talked to me and snubbed me off are all of a sudden my friends,I had lights, water you know the good stuff and they came sniffing wanting what I have! Go figure.

Last edited by EnginePat; 09-09-2011 at 08:59:55 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EnginePat For This Post:
Old 09-09-2011, 08:48:14 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,711 Times in 1,071 Posts

You got that right

de KF4LQT
Old 09-09-2011, 09:26:44 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 1,196 Times in 1,057 Posts

is not this the truth!

Kent AKA WD0DYY
Old 09-09-2011, 11:37:42 PM

Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,206 Posts
Talking Re: So Cal power outage

and that ever present, Oldie Bruce in alaska AL7AQ
Old 09-10-2011, 12:39:09 AM
Registered-III

I have three generators (Kohler, Onan, and a Home brew), solar system/battery bank, and two VHF/UHF ham radios (1 mobile, 1 hand held).

Never had a natural disaster since I have acquired all of these resources.
But when the next flood/wind storm hits, I will be the only one on the block with power and communications.

Richard Bessey - KE7IOD
Old 09-10-2011, 01:24:20 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,202 Times in 1,885 Posts

I am quite interested in the details of your home brew.

---------- Post added at 01:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnginePat View Post
Really this is so true,during Irene the neighbors that "never" have talked to me and snubbed me off are all of a sudden my friends,I had lights, water you know the good stuff and they came sniffing wanting what I have! Go figure.
At least they just sniffed. In a big emergency, I think there will be some coming with guns to take what you have.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:59:02 AM
Registered-II

Funny comment by neighbor, we were talking about investments. Some folks seem to be investing in gold, some investing in treasuries etc. My neighbor seems to have a different take on all of it. He said he was investing in seeds, and lots and lots of lead along with a few bullet molds. Luck to all, Ben
Old 09-10-2011, 03:05:19 AM
Subscriber

Okay, now you guys have got me thinkin'...

I have a propane water heater, reliable propane genset on 250 gallon tank for well water, lights, fridge and freezer.....

But no comm. HMMmmmm.........Amateur radio, huh?
Old 09-10-2011, 07:21:52 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
At least they just sniffed. In a big emergency, I think there will be some coming with guns to take what you have.
It depends on your neighbors, mine would more than likely bring their guns to lend a helping hand.

David C.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:39:42 AM

Thanked 16,763 Times in 7,765 Posts

One for you radio guys.

One year at Ft Hood summer camp. One of my motor Sergeants had a Ford Pinto wagon. The whole back section was filled with radio gear. When ever he keyed the mike. You would hear all this buzzing and whirring sounded like a jet cranking up. Had antennas sticking up everywhere.

One day this odd looking truck pulls up into my motor pool. Guy gets out and tells me he is here to do a sweep of this grid section. Because someone up here is knocking out the radio signals for this part of the base. So I told him where to look.

They impounded the guys car. Until camp was over. Fined him and told him to never bring any radio gear back to the base. Turns out he was knocking out tanks on the firing range and aircraft around the base. I didn't think it was possible but I guess it is.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:30:18 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: So California Power Outage

I used to live near small city, surrounded by Cityots (city idiots) who think the sun and moon rises because of cell phones and all the "modern" technology the last time I needed to use genny my brother and I chained it down and nearly sat guard on it while running. Only left it out a few hours of the day! Now I'm in the middle of the little city (more like large town) close to an apartment complex.

So far I have lost power twice, just a couple hours once and five or six the other time but I hope I don't see the big one here because genny is at my brothers house (where he hasn't lost power at all). I have no place to safely run it.

lijobi, congrats on your $50.00 gem that you can use. Mine was $800.00 and someday my brother may get the chance to thank me.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:05:08 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power View Post

Yes that may be true, I have been ready for that part for a very long time.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:05:47 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,153 Times in 914 Posts

Needing to chain a generator down is proof that yours is not heavy duty enough.

Ike
Old 09-10-2011, 12:08:57 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,489 Times in 876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Needing to chain a generator down is proof that yours is not heavy duty enough.

Ike
rotflmao, that is one way of looking at it, both of mine are so heavy I dont look foward to when it comes time to move them I mounted one in a exterior transformer enclosure and it works out pretty well. the enclosure is a little bit overkill but it was free, is dry, and has plenty of ventilation. thinking about putting a axle and toung on it to make it easier to move.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:26:38 PM
Registered-II

Turns out he was knocking out tanks on the firing range and aircraft around the base. I didn't think it was possible but I guess it is.[/QUOTE]

When I worked for Motorola in the early 70's we discovered a weakness in the 911 Porsch. If you were alongside of one at a stop light and while the guy was sitting there idling if you keyed a 100 watt vhf radio his engine would quit. He would restart it and then if you keyed up again it would quit again. I of course never tried this just heard the rummer. Any of you Porsch owners ever have strange problems at a stop light? Was there a white van nearby? These days after any install we put the car/motorcycle through all it's paces (acceleration, braking, anti skid etc.) while keying the radio and make sure nothing is affected. Security is really compromised by EMP (look it up) and is one of our modern problems with the weak silicon based systems we have today that almost no one is aware of. Let's hope it stays that way!
Old 09-10-2011, 12:41:40 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,202 Times in 1,885 Posts

Fined him and told him to never bring any radio gear back to the base. Turns out he was knocking out tanks on the firing range and aircraft around the base. I didn't think it was possible but I guess it is.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it sure is. Some people illegally add linear power amplifiers to their systems and greatly exceed maximum legal transmission power. Want to be king of the hill and blow everyone else off the air when they transmit. AC2AL