Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Farm Antiques and Collectibles > Horse Drawn Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Horse Drawn Equipment Old iron designed for the purpose of hitching up to a horse or a team. This old iron machinery may be used or demonstrated while hooked to an old iron tractor too.

Horse Drawn Equipment

left and right handed plows

this thread has 15 replies and has been viewed 3386 times

Old 12-07-2011, 04:25:07 PM
Registered-III

Default left and right handed plows

I was watching RFD TV channel and on one of the draft hose shows they talked about left and right handed plows. Up north and over east they use left handed and down south out west right handed . What is the difference beyond the obvious ? Why were they preferred in certain areas of the country ?

Ronny
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2011, 05:54:39 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,734 Times in 4,279 Posts
Talking Re: left and right handed plows

Coreolus effect! Up north the water swirls left, down south, to the right! I guess the mules and horses go the same way.
Andrew
Old 12-07-2011, 07:33:10 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: left and right handed plows

Now come on Andrew I really would like to know ! I got to tell ya i must ask the difficult ?'s cause it's like pulling hens teeth to get an answer . But that keeps me coming here to see if i got an answer !

Ronny

---------- Post added at 06:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:30 PM ----------

Another ? Is that true about the water I'm an over the road truck driver and I've never seen it go counter clock wise but I know it does some where in the world.

Ronny
Old 12-07-2011, 07:44:07 PM
Registered-I

Seen on net from a 1898 magazine
"Any man that has ever plowed a day knows he can do more plowing and better plowing with a left-hand plow than he can with a right-hand one, simply because his lead horse walks in the furrow, and the plow cuts an even width and depth all the time, whereas with a right-hand plow the lead horse walks on the land and is continually bearing into the furrow, which makes the plow cut less and unevenly." Answer?
Old 12-07-2011, 08:37:13 PM
Subscriber

I live in the south, and it isn't unusual to run across a left handed plow. One fellow told me that it was just personal preference, and in the community where he grew up, left handed plows were preferred.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:53:17 PM
Registered-II

It stands to reason that they are refering to what hand the operator is ---right or left ---- of course it is possible I suppose that a horese or mule might favor one side as well ----and it is knowen that a good operator being right handed workes best with a team that is right as well ! It has absolutly nothing to do with what way the water spinns in the bowell.
I have a reversable plow that will swing from right to left using a clever mechanisum! The idea here is for conture plowing -- or simply plowing around a hill rather than down as the water will cut out gullies and wash away the soil . One plowes around the hill in one direction as far as possible and then skillfully turns the horses around and then reverses the plow and startes back the other direction --- thus the water swirling is kept to a minimum!
Old 12-07-2011, 09:06:03 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Beddome View Post
It stands to reason that they are refering to what hand the operator is ---right or left ---- of course it is possible I suppose that a horese or mule might favor one side as well ----and it is knowen that a good operator being right handed workes best with a team that is right as well ! It has absolutly nothing to do with what way the water spinns in the bowell.
I have a reversable plow that will swing from right to left using a clever mechanisum! The idea here is for conture plowing -- or simply plowing around a hill rather than down as the water will cut out gullies and wash away the soil . One plowes around the hill in one direction as far as possible and then skillfully turns the horses around and then reverses the plow and startes back the other direction --- thus the water swirling is kept to a minimum!
These are referred to as a hillside plow, and are common here in Tennessee. I have a John Deere / Syracuse hillside plow, myself.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:37:04 PM
Registered-I

They are a neat plow...I have one I want to restore someday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Beddome View Post
I have a reversable plow
Old 12-07-2011, 10:39:03 PM
Registered-II

I dont know how to do the quote thing == you say you are an over the road truck driver and wondering which way the water spins going down the drain ----- in the great white north swirling water is a seasonal thing . See atached pic which I stole from the king of obsolite web sight
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	index_4.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	122665  
Old 12-07-2011, 10:53:20 PM
Registered-III

Thanks everyone I still don't have a definite answer and don't really understand the plowing around a hill. I have never owned a team of horses or a horse but drove a team when I was a teenager in the 60's to gather sap to make maple syrup here in Vermont.

Ronny

---------- Post added at 09:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 PM ----------

Hey Tom there showing ole pop corn making shine on TV tonight.They don't make em like that anymore !!!! Why didn't they leave the ole fella alone. Thanks for the plow info Got to mention the plow to not be off subject !

Ronny
Old 12-09-2011, 10:13:04 AM
Registered-III

So PK the reason you gave is the only reason for the left and right ? You mention the lead horse he would be on the right side standing holding the plow handles.

Ronny
Old 12-09-2011, 11:08:10 AM
Registered-I

WOW...I knew I was tired when I typed that response, so I reread it...but nope, I didn't write that...whew. No the horse doesn't need to hold the plow handles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronny p 148 View Post
So PK the reason you gave is the only reason for the left and right ? You mention the lead horse he would be on the right side standing holding the plow handles.

Ronny
Old 12-09-2011, 11:36:03 AM
Registered-III

Darned I'm not tired but just watched the show on them fellers in Tennessee making moon shine that pop corn feller . I think it affected my so called typing skills . To elaborate on this the fella standing behind the horse who has first notice of the fragrances a horse emits the lead fragrance emitter is to his right am I correct on this ??
Old 12-09-2011, 11:50:53 AM
Subscriber

Ron the idea is to plow so that ground is thrown up the hill so that the soil doesn't erode so bad. It doesn't matter going around a hill or along a hill.You start at the top of the field and going (left to right) using right hand plow ,returning (right to left)using left hand plow.Doing this helps to keep the good soil from ending at the bottom of field.On a level field it just does't matter. I guess being a former farmer helps understand the concept.Dick
Old 12-09-2011, 01:21:31 PM
Registered-III

Good thing you don't have me plowing that field would look like Stevie wonder had hold of the plow !!
The Following User Says Thank You to ronny p 148 For This Post:
Old 12-26-2011, 07:03:49 PM
Registered

Ron, Go to Farm Collector magazine's website and in their search box type in April 2003 issue. Sam Moore writes a good article on right and left hand plows. Earlier post by TomG has it right, Right or left was a personal perference.