Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Blacksmithing and Metallurgy
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Blacksmithing and Metallurgy Hand-wrought manufacture of metal objects, extracting metals from their ores, or purifying metals and casting useful items from the metals.

Blacksmithing and Metallurgy

Buffalo Forge 300 Blower

this thread has 15 replies and has been viewed 2486 times

Old 05-22-2017, 06:17:21 PM
Subscriber

Default Buffalo Forge 300 Blower

I picked up a seized up model 300 blower for 15 bucks. looks good except for a small crack in the bottom housing, I think I can fix that. It is pretty well stuck, I have soaked it in penetrating oil thoroughly, hoping to get some of the screws and bolts out, so I can get to the gears inside. I may have to break some of them off and drill and tap later. Are there any do's and don'ts to unsticking these blowers. ? Any info would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2017, 05:31:18 PM
Registered

Default Re: Buffalo Forge 300 Blower

have unstuck quiet a few of smaller blower by sticking them in the forge and gently heating(you can get them fairly hot,not red )and sticking them in a tub of water,repeat untill rusted objects gradually become free,cheers ,glen
Old 05-28-2017, 12:30:46 PM
Registered-II

Some forge blowers have at least one fiber gear in them. That gear often wears out. But it is also a weak point in the gear train, so be careful not to break it with too much forcing. I don't know how much heat it can take either.

Pete Stanaitis
The Following User Says Thank You to Pete Spaco For This Post:
Old 05-29-2017, 04:58:43 AM
Registered

peter ,yes for sure know your blowers,out hear have never come across fibre cogs,rapblo and rapid,a few buffalo's,if there frozen with rust gets them going usually ,at that stage no choice, always care full rebuilds after,glen
Old 05-29-2017, 06:53:21 AM
Subscriber

thanks for the info guys. its good to know about the fiber gear. I have soaked it pretty well in some penetrating oil for now. I managed to get some of the screws a little loose and one broke so far. I am in no rush to get it set up yet, I am still looking for a nice little forge to get started. I still cant seem to find a decent anvil that isn't made of "GOLD ".
Old 05-31-2017, 08:33:53 PM
Registered-II

Have you considered making an anvil from a railroad rail?:
https://spaco.org/Blacksmithing/Anvils/RailAnvils.htm

(Not everybody thinks this is a good idea, but anvil prices have been going through the roof lately)

Pete Stanaitis
---------------
Old 06-04-2017, 05:55:50 PM
Subscriber

working at home the past week, I managed to get some heat onto the blower a little at a time with a small propane torch. I did not want to use the acetylene torch so as not to get it too hot. I got the bottom off of it and the worm gear came out in one piece. with a little persuasion and some w-d 40 I got the gears to move all the way around, but still real stiff. I see it is missing about 3/4 s of one tooth on the big gear, but don't seem to hinder the rotation at all so far. I think I may drop the whole thing in a bucket of oil or transmission fluid for a week or so, hoping to lube it deeply enough to expel what ever is binding it up. Is there any way to put a date on it, when it was made.?? I just keep wondering who was the last guy to use this and what time period it was.
Old 06-05-2017, 06:02:22 AM
Registered

mate haven't come across any fibre gears in the one's that i have unfrozen but can get these things bloody hot ,then let them cool a tad,jam them in water and repeat until free,sounds harsh but works i promise,cheers glen
Old 06-06-2017, 04:04:21 PM
Subscriber

I got it working real nice. No fiber gear inside just iron I think. It was missing one ball bearing from one of the races, so I found another one and stuck it into the race. I still need to make a wood handle for it. I put some bearing grease on the gears to keep them well lubed, since it wont get a lot of use from me. I also need to build a stand for it. I still cant seem to figure out how to tell how old it is.
I live near the railroad track so I may snoop around a little to find a short piece of track to make an anvil. Also I remembered I do have an anvil out back in the shed. I real little one, about 8 inches long. I can pick it up with one hand easily. Now to find a forge, or make one.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:58:28 AM
Registered

good gear mate ,can replace the blades on the fan if there rusted out,a forge is a fairly easy thing to make,lot of folk make them out of truck brake drums,plow disc is great if you can grab them,see your in new york so guess not a heap of them there,will take a pic of mine that i made years ago,have a champion 400 blower but lazy now ,use an old clothes drier motor ,glen
Old 06-08-2017, 04:13:59 AM
Registered

mikey,easy to make if you have access to angle grinder,welder and scrap yard,on top of the forge where it welded onto the floor of the forge build it up with dirt and place a piece of steel plate ,drill holes in the plate to allow air in of course,then start forgeing,i fill my forge with dirt ,see how you go ,seeya ,glen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09982.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	283938  
Old 06-09-2017, 11:40:09 AM
Registered-II

I agree that making your own forge is not rocket science.
There are many plans on the internet for doing so:

You should visit these sites:
https://www.iforgeiron.com/
http://www.anvilfire.com/

And, if you want to find used forges (and anything else blacksmithing) for sale, trade, etc.,
read this page:
https://spaco.org/Blacksmithing/GetStartedBsmthg.htm
It will get you to the places where other blacksmiths hang out in your area.

Pete Stanaitis
---------------
Old 06-10-2017, 03:47:04 AM
Registered

yes mate not rocket science for sure,good info there for mikey,but all help is good help,go for it mikey,glen
Old 06-11-2017, 05:54:42 AM
Subscriber

great information Pete. thanks. Now I have some good ideas to work with. I think I have a lot of reading to do. I am not very well versed in metallurgy, I am a carpenter by trade, so , this will be fun to learn something new.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mikey NY For This Post:
Old 07-25-2017, 09:51:02 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey NY View Post
thanks for the info guys. its good to know about the fiber gear. I have soaked it pretty well in some penetrating oil for now. I managed to get some of the screws a little loose and one broke so far. I am in no rush to get it set up yet, I am still looking for a nice little forge to get started. I still cant seem to find a decent anvil that isn't made of "GOLD ".
here is my 2 cents on this post.remember 2 cents ,just sayin .the internet has made darn near everything that a man has done seem what every man wants to do also. there is so much stuff on youtube so at this time every thing you want to buy every man wants to buy. its a mans world man up buy a anvil. remember just saying. o get some coal to go with the forge. PS anvil forge hammer MAN!!!
Old 01-26-2018, 12:20:06 PM
Registered-II

I would find my local "Kroil" dealer It is the best Rust Buster out there. Have used it on all kinds of machinery that was froze up. Just used it on the froze brake bleeder valves on my daughters car.

DBH